03-07-2015, 07:28 PM   #2941
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jtk Quote
Super Takumar 55/1.8
Super Takumar 28/3.5
This one is a Honeywell where my old one was an Asahi. I think there are slight differences but it's been a while. I have:
Super Takumar 55/1.8
Super Takumar 28/3.5
Good camera and those lenses are still excellent by today's standards. Keep shooting film.

03-08-2015, 11:55 AM   #2942
Inactive Account

Grainy Viewfinder

I've found that particularly with Spotmatics the slower the lens the more grainy it looks in the viewfinder. Lenses slower than about f/2.8 give a pretty grainy look and are also more difficult to focus.
03-08-2015, 09:01 PM   #2943
Veteran Member

Hey JTK, nice looking Spottie you got there. I have three of 'em: an SP, SP1000, and F. Of them all, the SP seems to be in the best overall shape. Two of 'em are Honeywells and one is an Asahi. Far as I can tell, the only difference between them, besides model differences, are the names stamped on the name plates.
03-09-2015, 05:02 AM   #2944
jtk

Thanks guys!

I noticed also that I think the aperture switch on the lens was stuck between A and M, it seemed like it was much better after I switched it to M (I had forgotten about the switch completely).

I can't see any differences either; as far as function goes (and from what I remember), it seems to be the same.

The lenses are pretty nice! Certainly nothing modern that I've used is as nice to focus manually.

03-09-2015, 07:51 AM   #2945
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
Hey JTK, nice looking Spottie you got there. I have three of 'em: an SP, SP1000, and F. Of them all, the SP seems to be in the best overall shape. Two of 'em are Honeywells and one is an Asahi. Far as I can tell, the only difference between them, besides model differences, are the names stamped on the name plates.
I can't see any differences either; as far as function goes (and from what I remember), it seems to be the same.

The lenses are pretty nice! Certainly nothing modern that I've used is as nice to focus manually.
The major advancement of the F was no more stop down metering required as it had an aperture position linkage that when used with a proper Takumar will allow open aperture TTL metering. I am not really sure how many of these Takumars were released but of course this was rendered moot with the release of the K mount a couple of years later. Still has stop down metering when using older lenses.
03-09-2015, 02:12 PM   #2946
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
The major advancement of the F was no more stop down metering required as it had an aperture position linkage that when used with a proper Takumar will allow open aperture TTL metering. I am not really sure how many of these Takumars were released but of course this was rendered moot with the release of the K mount a couple of years later. Still has stop down metering when using older lenses.
Correct. I wasn't really addressing the differences between the models I own, however -- I was just stating that, far as I know, the only difference between a "Honeywell" and an "Asahi" is the name stamped on the top cover.

Not sure, either, how many SMCTs were made, but I suspect a lot because there's no real shortage of them even now, forty years after the SMCTs were replaced with the K-mount. Or at least so it seems with the more popular, or more common lenses.

Last edited by cooltouch; 03-09-2015 at 02:23 PM.
04-02-2015, 02:59 PM   #2947
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Yes that makes the F type the most desiderable Spottie...IMO of course.

04-02-2015, 07:53 PM   #2948
Veteran Member

I agree. I spotted an F at shopgoodwill.com and bought it because it looked to be in pretty clean shape. And it was -- is. Turns out it's got problems, though. The meter reads kinda funny and at higher shutter speeds, the mirror sticks in the up position. If I lower the shutter speed such that the slow speed escapement is engaged, the mirror will return. Annoying. So, I guess this will be a parts body as I look for another clean one that works well.
04-03-2015, 01:23 AM - 4 Likes   #2949
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
I agree. I spotted an F at shopgoodwill.com and bought it because it looked to be in pretty clean shape. And it was -- is. Turns out it's got problems, though. The meter reads kinda funny and at higher shutter speeds, the mirror sticks in the up position. If I lower the shutter speed such that the slow speed escapement is engaged, the mirror will return. Annoying. So, I guess this will be a parts body as I look for another clean one that works well.
Try this:
04-03-2015, 10:02 AM   #2950
Veteran Member

Wow, Arnold! Thanks for that video. I just finished adding a drop to that wheel, as shown in the video -- fired the camera at least five times on every shutter speed and no more hangups. Woot!
04-03-2015, 12:50 PM - 3 Likes   #2951
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is the first Pentax brochure/leaflet that I have come across that has all five “K” Series bodies pictured.

Phil.
Attached Images

04-03-2015, 02:39 PM   #2952
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very neat Phil. Never seen that one.
04-28-2015, 04:24 PM - 2 Likes   #2953
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A recently assembled “A” Series kit!

Phil.