Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2015, 12:11 AM   #3001
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That 500mm is a beast of a lens! I too sometimes use a ES/ESII combo, but I don't have that range of S-M-C Taks.

Pentax ES, ESII and SMC Takumar lenses par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

06-24-2015, 10:06 AM   #3002

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
That 500mm is a beast of a lens! I too sometimes use a ES/ESII combo, but I don't have that range of S-M-C Taks.

Pentax ES, ESII and SMC Takumar lenses par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity
Given my age (67) - trying to carry that 500mm around is like trying to use a sword to cut a steak; it possible, but its not real practical. Even that 300 feels heavy after a mile or so of walking. I'm afraid both of those lenses are more for show than go now.

If you have a working ES - that is impressive. Even having one SMC Takumar puts somebody in that rare class of people who love mechanical works of art.

Last edited by HoustonBob; 06-24-2015 at 10:11 AM.
06-24-2015, 11:50 PM - 1 Like   #3003
Pentaxian

Pentax ES (3) par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity
06-25-2015, 12:00 AM   #3004
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's a nice looking rig you've got there, Kris. I wonder, can you tell me anything about your tripod? I've been looking for one with that cross-beam sort of arrangement that yours has for years. I remember way back in the day when Spiratone had a model with this extra piece in it and I've always felt that it would be very useful in outdoor situations, especially when one wants to get shots of something very close to the ground.

I have a Benbo, which will do this, but I've owned that Benbo for over 25 years and it's getting rather long in the tooth now. Its ball head is sticky and its rubber feet split long ago and I've never been able to find replacements for them. Plus, while it is possible to get a Benbo into just about any orientation possible, it is often very awkward doing so. It would be nice having just a regular tripod for a change, but one with that extra section like yours has.

06-25-2015, 12:09 AM   #3005
Pentaxian

It is a Manfrotto 055CXPRO4. It is carbon fibre so pretty strong but light enough to travel. The centre post is normally vertical but you can push a little button on the base to slip it into the horizontal position. The legs will splay right out too so you can get the camera a few inches off the ground. I'm pretty pleased with it.

Best wishes, Kris.

---------- Post added 06-25-15 at 07:10 AM ----------

Tamron 70-150 (1) par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity
06-25-2015, 12:30 AM   #3006
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HoustonBob Quote
Given my age (67) - trying to carry that 500mm around is like trying to use a sword to cut a steak; it possible, but its not real practical. Even that 300 feels heavy after a mile or so of walking. I'm afraid both of those lenses are more for show than go now.

If you have a working ES - that is impressive. Even having one SMC Takumar puts somebody in that rare class of people who love mechanical works of art.
Hey Bob, I'm five years your junior, but I have a bad back that makes me feel about 20 years older than I am, so I don't much care for lugging stuff around either, anymore. I still do it, though, but these days I try to pack as much stuff around on wheels as I can, whenever possible. Right now, that means my motorcycle but I know that there are some places where I either can't bring it or I'm not allowed to, so in those cases I'll be hoofing it.

Recently, I bought a piece of luggage used as an airline carry-on from a thrift store for about $8. It has the wheels with the telescoping handle. I'm still working on designs for the interior. Basically, what I'll be doing is using some of this hard styrofoam insulation you can buy at the big box stores in 4x8 sheets, and then I'll cut this insulation into shapes that I'll use to make compartments for cameras and lenses, etc. I can have more than one set of compartments depending upon what sort of gear load-out I want to take with me. Sure beats paying $200+ for one of the pre-made ones from a camera shop.

By the way, I don't own an ES or ESII -- yet, but I do own a Spotmatic F, so I'm able to put to use a couple of SMC Taks I own -- a 55mm f/1.8 and a 100mm f/4 macro. I wouldn't mine owning a few more nice pieces of SMCT glass, but most of it sells for prices I can't easily afford anymore.

---------- Post added 06-25-15 at 02:34 AM ----------

It is a Manfrotto 055CXPRO4. It is carbon fibre so pretty strong but light enough to travel. The centre post is normally vertical but you can push a little button on the base to slip it into the horizontal position. The legs will splay right out too so you can get the camera a few inches off the ground. I'm pretty pleased with it.

Best wishes, Kris.

Thanks, Kris. Whew. I just looked it up. Expensive little puppy, ain't it!
06-25-2015, 04:54 AM   #3007
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
Someone broke my tripod on a project and this was the replacement I was given...

06-25-2015, 06:36 AM   #3008
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Someone broke my tripod on a project and this was the replacement I was given...
That was a good deal!

Phil.
06-27-2015, 09:10 PM   #3009

QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
Hey Bob, I'm five years your junior, but I have a bad back that makes me feel about 20 years older than I am, so I don't much care for lugging stuff around either, anymore. I still do it, though, but these days I try to pack as much stuff around on wheels as I can, whenever possible. Right now, that means my motorcycle but I know that there are some places where I either can't bring it or I'm not allowed to, so in those cases I'll be hoofing it.

Recently, I bought a piece of luggage used as an airline carry-on from a thrift store for about $8. It has the wheels with the telescoping handle. I'm still working on designs for the interior. Basically, what I'll be doing is using some of this hard styrofoam insulation you can buy at the big box stores in 4x8 sheets, and then I'll cut this insulation into shapes that I'll use to make compartments for cameras and lenses, etc. I can have more than one set of compartments depending upon what sort of gear load-out I want to take with me. Sure beats paying $200+ for one of the pre-made ones from a camera shop.

By the way, I don't own an ES or ESII -- yet, but I do own a Spotmatic F, so I'm able to put to use a couple of SMC Taks I own -- a 55mm f/1.8 and a 100mm f/4 macro. I wouldn't mine owning a few more nice pieces of SMCT glass, but most of it sells for prices I can't easily afford anymore.

---------- Post added 06-25-15 at 02:34 AM ----------

[/COLOR]
Thanks for the ideas. As to the prices of SMCT lenses - when the Canon video shooters realized how good these lenses are for shooting video the demand went way up. Popularity always has its price.

06-28-2015, 09:22 AM   #3010
Veteran Member

Yep. Now, though, it's not just the Canon video shooters -- it's all the mirrorless camera shooters who are also looking to pick up good vintage glass. I have a NEX 7 and I use manual focus lenses on it more than I use the AF lens that came with it. My SCMT 100/4 macro works exceptionally well with it.
07-02-2015, 10:57 PM - 1 Like   #3011
Forum Member

I got this Spotmatic II last week with 50 1.4 and the seller had recently sent it to Eric. Can't wait to put a roll through it and develop it.

Last edited by TheLens; 07-02-2015 at 10:57 PM. Reason: forgot to add something
07-03-2015, 08:49 AM   #3012
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TheLens Quote
I got this Spotmatic II last week with 50 1.4 and the seller had recently sent it to Eric. Can't wait to put a roll through it and develop it.

Looks good, bonus is has already been CLAed by Eric!

Phil.
07-03-2015, 10:51 AM   #3013
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What a beaut!
07-03-2015, 12:47 PM - 1 Like   #3014
Pentaxian

Lovely SPII.
07-04-2015, 11:04 PM - 1 Like   #3015
Veteran Member

That's a gorgeous looking Spotty! I have one just like it, including the lens, but I don't think mine is quite as clean as youors. Post pics when you got 'em. From the camera, not of the camera. ;-)