Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 775 Likes Search this Thread
03-19-2017, 12:04 PM   #3301
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The MX shutter speed dial is one of the two faults with this model. It is far too difficult to turn. If the mx had a shutter speed dial like any other Pentax and the meter layout of the KX, it would be perfect. In fact, it would be easier to just say that if th KX was the size of the MX, it would be the perfect manual focus film camera.

03-19-2017, 04:07 PM   #3302
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Argenticien Quote
[...]
I like your comparisons. I wish there'd been a camerasize.com sort of page for film cameras as well, not only for digital.
03-19-2017, 05:42 PM   #3303
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ctrout Quote
The MX shutter speed dial is one of the two faults with this model. It is far too difficult to turn. If the mx had a shutter speed dial like any other Pentax and the meter layout of the KX, it would be perfect. In fact, it would be easier to just say that if th KX was the size of the MX, it would be the perfect manual focus film camera.
That's the main pitfall with my MX, it doesn't make it unusable for me exactly, but you either have to give it a firm turn from the front, or you have to pop out the window a little so you can get your thumb and finger onto it. If that was just a tiny bit easier to turn, or some how slightly smaller or placed inward just a little more to give it some separation from the winder and locking lever, that would help a bit.

Everything else though, seems really nice.
03-19-2017, 07:58 PM - 1 Like   #3304

Thanks for everyone's observations about the MX shutter speed dial. I'm glad to know this is not my particular example misbehaving. I wonder if this is something where the camera could be sent to Eric for him to put it intentionally just a bit out of spec toward looseness. I'm not sure that's feasible (as I don't know how this shutter speed dial works), but if it is, the idea might be revolting to him anyway!

--Dave

---------- Post added 03-19-2017 at 11:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
I like your comparisons. I wish there'd been a camerasize.com sort of page for film cameras as well, not only for digital.
Louis Meluso has all the cameras ever, and frequently posts those size comparisons on this site and at photo.net. He has photographed each camera in front of essentially a graph paper background so the images can be scaled the same and sizes are truly comparable. Brilliant stuff!

--Dave

03-19-2017, 08:14 PM   #3305
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Argenticien Quote
Thanks for everyone's observations about the MX shutter speed dial. I'm glad to know this is not my particular example misbehaving. I wonder if this is something where the camera could be sent to Eric for him to put it intentionally just a bit out of spec toward looseness. I'm not sure that's feasible (as I don't know how this shutter speed dial works), but if it is, the idea might be revolting to him anyway!

--Dave

---------- Post added 03-19-2017 at 11:01 PM ----------

Louis Meluso has all the cameras ever, and frequently posts those size comparisons on this site and at photo.net. He has photographed each camera in front of essentially a graph paper background so the images can be scaled the same and sizes are truly comparable. Brilliant stuff!

--Dave
It probably has to be firm/strong because it's connected to the speed indicator in the viewfinder by a strong/firm thread, I imagine if it was loosened it might not be able to turn the indicator, or the thread could slip off making the indicator useless (and probably the meter if it's tied to the indicator).

The exploded diagram in the service manual is um... fun to say the least.
03-19-2017, 11:03 PM - 2 Likes   #3306
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep, the MX's shutter speed dial is plenty stiff, but because of the body's diminutive size, it is easy to cradle in my left hand so I can keep my eye at the viewfinder while turning the dial.
03-20-2017, 07:38 PM   #3307

QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
Yep, the MX's shutter speed dial is plenty stiff, but because of the body's diminutive size, it is easy to cradle in my left hand so I can keep my eye at the viewfinder while turning the dial.
I'll have to learn that manœuvre. It does not come naturally to me; somehow my instinct if I can't turn the dial simply by fingertip is to lower the whole camera and get well under it for fear that doing the two-finger move at eye height will torque the camera out of my left hand and onto the ground. Yes, it sounds paranoid, but I know my limitations as concerns clumsiness. I'll get there...

03-20-2017, 11:33 PM   #3308
Veteran Member

When in doubt in situations like that, if it were me, I'd make sure I had the strap around my neck. Such a simple routine has saved my bacon -- or rather the camera's -- more than once. Honestly, though, if you're cradling the lens in your left hand underhanded, which is considered proper technique, this is a stable enough arrangement. You can always grasp the lens using the same hold for extra secure purchase, if you feel it necessary.
03-21-2017, 11:03 AM   #3309
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
I wish there'd been a camerasize.com sort of page for film cameras as well, not only for digital.
There are some film cameras on camerasize.com...

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 407
Size:  75.9 KB

Steve
03-21-2017, 02:03 PM   #3310
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When in doubt in situations like that, if it were me, I'd make sure I had the strap around my neck.
Yep +1.

I always shoot with the camera strap around my neck. I have a strap for every camera I own, including my 6x7's.

Phil.
03-21-2017, 02:23 PM   #3311
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Straps are necessary protection, but . . . . .

Yesterday I picked up my K-1 / 28~105 from a table and the strap caught under the table corner, jerking the camera out of my right hand. Thankfully my reflexes are still sharp - I snap-reached down with my left and caught the camera in the classic base-and-lens hold.

First time that has happened in 45 years.
03-21-2017, 04:42 PM   #3312
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A shorter strap is less likely to get snagged on something.
Another benefit of a shorter neckstrap is that camera won't bounce as much while walking.

Surprisingly many don't give much thought to how their neckstrap is adjusted.

When adjusted correctly your strap should be taut when holding camera up to the eye,
with just enough slack to allow you to shoot verticals wearing a heavy coat.
Braced tightly against your body a taut strap allows hand holding at slower speeds.

Chris
03-22-2017, 12:20 AM   #3313
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

Yesterday I picked up my K-1 / 28~105 from a table and the strap caught under the table corner, jerking the camera out of my right hand. Thankfully my reflexes are still sharp - I snap-reached down with my left and caught the camera in the classic base-and-lens hold.

First time that has happened in 45 years.
A real trap for the unwary. Now I am very conscious of the placement of the strap when I put the camera down, bearing this in mind,
03-22-2017, 05:55 PM   #3314
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Indeed! It requires consistent vigilance to make sure that straps are not in a position to snag or be snagged. A strap hanging off a counter or chair is a trap for the unwary. Likewise, walking with a strap dangling.

Steve
03-23-2017, 06:48 AM - 1 Like   #3315
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yep, the MX's shutter speed dial is plenty stiff
There must be some variation then, because the MX here is reasonably easy to turn
with the finger when up to the eye.
It is not quite as easy as the similar Ricoh KR-5, I think because the KR-5 has a coarser knurl.

The easiest old slrs to adjust shutter speed on here are the Ricoh KR-10 and the Minolta X-700 because they have larger wheels.

The Canon A-1 has a sunken wheel, revealed by sliding down a locking shield (!) but it is Ok after a bit of practise.
The A-1 is the strangest beast in my little collection, I regard it as having been designed by a committee of politicians.