Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2017, 11:32 AM   #3316
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can add a few more to your list of SLRs with easy to adjust wheels.

The Minolta XD-11 has an oversize wheel, making it easier to adjust. I believe the X570's is oversize also -- or at least placed for easy one-finger operation.

The Canon EF and AE-1 have oversize wheels, making them easier to adjust.

Canon had to get complicated with the A-1 because they wanted to be able to leave the lens set to A for both shutter priority, where it makes sense, and aperture priority, where it doesn't. They had to come up with that window and sliding display to illustrate whether one was in shutter priority, program, or aperture priority.

Last edited by cooltouch; 03-23-2017 at 11:42 AM.
03-23-2017, 12:27 PM   #3317
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
I can add a few more to your list of SLRs with easy to adjust wheels.

The Minolta XD-11 has an oversize wheel, making it easier to adjust. I believe the X570's is oversize also -- or at least placed for easy one-finger operation.

The Canon EF and AE-1 have oversize wheels, making them easier to adjust.
Not only an oversized wheel - and body for better spacing, but also because these are "automatic" cameras that I believe do not need to engage mechanical linkages like the MX.
03-23-2017, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #3318
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The humble P3N/P30T have a similar large shutter speed dial, easy to turn with just one finger,
one of many thoughtful features on these modest and inexpensive Pentax manual focus bodies.

Chris
03-23-2017, 04:37 PM   #3319
Veteran Member

Yeah, you see how your P3n's shutter speed dial sits just a bit proud of the top cover? This trait is shared by the Canon EF, AE-1, and I believe also the Minolta XD-11 -- and maybe the X-570? This sitting just proud of the top cover is what makes it easy to turn with just the index finger.

LesDMess, it isn't because they're automatic cameras. The X570 is fully coupled, meaning the meter responds to both shutter speed and aperture settings. The Canon AT-1, which has an almost identical layout to the AE-1, including the shutter speed dial, is a fully manual camera with fully coupled shutter speeds and aperture settings. And let us not forget all the old-school manual cameras that had larger bodies, such as the KX and Canon FTb and Nikkormats, not to mention Canon's F-1s and Nikon's F-series -- they all had fully coupled meters. So I don't really think that's the case.

03-25-2017, 11:13 AM   #3320
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
LesDMess, it isn't because they're automatic cameras. The X570 is fully coupled, meaning the meter responds to both shutter speed and aperture settings.
Michael, I have yet to fully disassemble one of these beauties so I am guessing on these functionalities but based on decades of electromechanical experience.

For example, you can manually set the X570's shutter speed on the dial like you do with the MX. My guess is that on the MX, there are "mechanical linkages" that have to be set. I don't believe this is the case with the X570 because on aperture priority mode, the camera will have to select the shutter speed appropriate to the aperture selected regardless of the shutter dial position. Shutter speed is actually easy to "implement" because the shutter release timing can be done using mechanical or electronic timers so the shutter speed selector can be mechanically linked - like in the MX, or electronically linked as in the X570.

Like I said, I haven't begun my exploration of the innards of a camera so my casual observations may be completely wrong.
03-25-2017, 04:41 PM   #3321
Veteran Member

You're probably right about the X570's computer controlled shutter speeds. But I did cite several other examples of cameras with bodies that are substantially larger than the MX's.

I think what you'll find as you do begin to explore the innards of cameras -- especially mechanical ones, you might be quite amazed by how crafty and creative camera engineers could be when it came to the interplay between levers, cams, rollers, and gears. And my experiences with electronically dependent cameras tend to show that the electronics lie as a veneer over the mechanical guts, which must still exist for the camera to function as, well, a camera.
03-25-2017, 05:13 PM   #3322
Pentaxian

Of course larger bodies offer more room with larger wheels which provides more leverage. I currently have access to tools for measuring torque so I may have an opportunity to do some measurements. Mind you I am not denying that it takes a more than average amount of force to turn the MX's shutter wheel compared to practically all other fully mechanical bodies that I have except for the Ricoh Singlex - Ricoh's first SLR. Perhaps there is a compression ring under there that adds resistance? Maybe that's a reason why Olympus decided to put the shutter control on the lens mount for their OM series?

Yeah I definitely do prefer the cameras that require a film advance lever that primes the camera to fire.

03-26-2017, 12:11 PM - 1 Like   #3323

new Pentax film camera!

I just picked up a Pentax Program Plus for $30 along with a Tamron zoom that's not very good. I like this camera so far. It's very simple to use and doesn't do a lot, which is fine with me. I often like to feel like I'm just using a lens with a box at the end, so to speak. I'm using an M 50/1.7 that is the very first lens I ever got. I grabbed a roll of Portra and I'm really hoping I get a few good photos.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
X100S  Photo 
03-26-2017, 01:21 PM   #3324
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Pentax MX shutter speed dial is also located considerably closer to the pentaprism,
which makes it harder to grasp easily, especially for those with larger hands and fingers.

Chris
03-26-2017, 09:10 PM - 1 Like   #3325
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The newest member of the family came this week. I got a new to me K2. here it is after my first outing with it with one of my favorite lenses a K55/1.8.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
03-27-2017, 04:04 AM   #3326
Pentaxian

Is that lens one of dcshooter's do-overs? Because I didn't think they did silver in lenses back then.

The MX's dial being coupled to, among other things, the in-viewfinder indicator by what basically amounts to a pulley system probably doesn't help. The relative difficulty in turning the shutter speed dial reinforces its position in my armamentarium as a camera with which I take carefully considered, deliberate, planned shots. Perhaps this is putting the cart before the horse, but I do occasionally like picking up a film camera that forces me to slow down. I currently have it loaded with the last of the rolls of film I put in on my recent trip to Australia, and when that is done it will be going off for a well-deserved CLA to make sure it outlasts me.

The P3/30 series are beautiful cameras, but they are somewhat crippled by their inability to manually set/override the film speed. If not for that, they might have been the natural successor to the K1000 in film schools.
03-27-2017, 06:21 AM   #3327
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
A shorter strap is less likely to get snagged on something.
Another benefit of a shorter neckstrap is that camera won't bounce as much while walking.

Surprisingly many don't give much thought to how their neckstrap is adjusted.

When adjusted correctly your strap should be taut when holding camera up to the eye,
with just enough slack to allow you to shoot verticals wearing a heavy coat.
Braced tightly against your body a taut strap allows hand holding at slower speeds.

Chris
Undoubtedly useful, and the tension-tripod effects do work, but carrying a camera on a short neckstrap has been clinically proven to drive me absolutely nut-butters.

I wear my cameras on long straps, and carry them cross-body so they can't fall. They annoy me and clank into things around my neck, and draping a camera strap over one shoulder is just ASKING to drop it.

Your mileage may vary, of course, but that's what works for me.
03-27-2017, 07:08 AM   #3328
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
Undoubtedly useful, and the tension-tripod effects do work, but carrying a camera on a short neckstrap has been clinically proven to drive me absolutely nut-butters.

I wear my cameras on long straps, and carry them cross-body so they can't fall. They annoy me and clank into things around my neck, and draping a camera strap over one shoulder is just ASKING to drop it.

Your mileage may vary, of course, but that's what works for me.
What has worked for 45 years is paying attention to not letting the strap hang off table corners.
03-27-2017, 08:16 AM   #3329
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Indeed! It requires consistent vigilance to make sure that straps are not in a position to snag or be snagged. A strap hanging off a counter or chair is a trap for the unwary. Likewise, walking with a strap dangling.

Steve
Especially with the semi-state of circus that exists in every house with young children and dogs.
03-29-2017, 09:55 AM   #3330
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
What has worked for 45 years is paying attention to not letting the strap hang off table corners.
That's part of my regimen, as well. Straps never dangle. THey either support or they are bunched up where they can't snag.