Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2018, 02:34 PM - 1 Like   #3361
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My first SLR was an ME/SE which got damp at Niagara Falls, and never worked quite right after that.
This my second SLR. Everything still works, although I "retired" it in 1995 after twelve years of use.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 

Last edited by reh321; 11-17-2018 at 08:51 PM.
10-24-2018, 09:02 PM   #3362
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
My first DSLR was an ME/SE which got damp at Niagara Falls, and never worked quite right after that.
This my second DSLR. Everything still works, although I "retired" it in 1995 after twelve years of use.
Those are SLRs, not DSLRs. DSLR-"D"=digital.
10-25-2018, 08:43 AM - 4 Likes   #3363

I've never been into taking pictures of gear, but I admit I've found myself drawn to this thread. Excellent photos by you all.

Here's an addition to my film camera family. Bought this SV for $20 on eBay a couple of months ago. It came with a slow shutter, but a fresh CLA seems to have fixed the issue.
This camera is so much fun to shoot with. Here in the photo coupled with a Super-Tak 55mm as well as a strap that my better half made for me from an old belt.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 8  Photo 
10-28-2018, 11:54 AM - 2 Likes   #3364
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aruxaru Quote
Hi fellow film shooters,

I see that there is a quite a significant boost in the number of Pentax film shooters (as I am apart of that movement too). There's lots of talk about different bodies, films and whatnot. So I was thinking having this thread as an introduction to which body is your main body. Also, what lenses do you use? What film do you use? In addition to that, give a reason for why you chose your setup.

Hopefully we can collect an informal database for people wanting more information from everyday shooters.

So to kick things off, I will introduce mine with a picture (inspired by Gooshin's snazzy pic of his mz-s (i believe)):

My camera of choice: Pentax MX

My ME is relegated to a back up camera now that I've got my hands on the hefty but dimunitive MX. I love the size and the manual features. I love the feel of its heaviness. It has everything I need and nothing extra.

The limitations I find with this body is that being fully manual and me being fairly new to it, I won't be using this for action or street photography anytime soon. My ME would be better suited for that. Also, not sure how much better my tripod shooting would be with mirror lockup. I've never tried it and don't see the need, yet.

My Lens: Pentax M 50 f/1.7 (need I say more?), Vivitar 28 f/2.8 by Cosina (very sharp and light, good colors), Takumar bayonet 135 f/2.8 (it was affordable, but I really can't complain about it too much. contrasts alittle low, but nice bokeh and is sharp)

Film: As you can see, a wide variety of films. I still like to try out different ones. If i had to choose one film, it would be the Provia. Realistic colors, with punchy tone. Very versatile.

Please share your cameras and views/reasons!
New addition to the collection... Pentax MX with 50mm f/1.7. I've owned a number of MXs in the past and always like this camera. It's small so if you want it in a coat pocket you can put a 40mm pancake on it and it fits. If you want a 5 fps motor and 250 exp back, it'll do that too. It has a nice metering system and even does the mirror up trick. If you want some bulk add a winder or motor. Plus it's mechanical.

10-28-2018, 01:14 PM   #3365
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
New addition to the collection... Pentax MX with 50mm f/1.7. I've owned a number of MXs in the past and always like this camera. It's small so if you want it in a coat pocket you can put a 40mm pancake on it and it fits. If you want a 5 fps motor and 250 exp back, it'll do that too. It has a nice metering system and even does the mirror up trick. If you want some bulk add a winder or motor. Plus it's mechanical.
Nice! And nice Sig List. Hard Core.

.:
11-11-2018, 05:41 AM - 6 Likes   #3366
Veteran Member

Heres my Pentax KX recently acquired from a charity shop - looks like she was extremely well cared for but left in a box of junk.

Bought home, fitted new light seals and mirror stop, gave her a clean up, put some new batteries in and hola - she looks almost like a low use second hander from the days when they were still making these. Everything seems to check out ok so its time to put some film in the old girl and see how she rocks.

Damn its so hard to resist even putting a pic up like this - just shot off my Lumix TZ70 pocket cam not to mess about with effects - I just spent 20 minutes looking at adding some flare, selective darkening and highlights, maybe a bit of bokeh- thats what 15 years of doing product photography does for you

Anyway heres Katie the KX
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-TZ70  Photo 
11-11-2018, 12:12 PM   #3367
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Astro-Baby Quote
Bought home, fitted new light seals and mirror stop, gave her a clean up,
Anyway heres Katie the KX
Kudos on your renovation project.....and nice color reflections off the lens elements. Bravo and welcome to the Pentax forum!

11-12-2018, 10:05 PM   #3368
Veteran Member

Beatiful. But then I'm partial -- cuz it looks just like mine.
11-16-2018, 01:19 PM - 3 Likes   #3369
Forum Member

This Pentax ME Super arrived today, bought on eBay. It all seems to be in working order. I've loaded some film and will be heading out tomorrow to try it in anger. It's the first film camera I've had since I was a child. I thought the discipline of restricting myself to just 24 or 36 exposures would force me to focus more on the composition, rather than rattling off dozens shots of the same subject as I sometimes do on my beloved K70. The Pentax M 50mm F1.7 lens that came with it is gorgeous as well.
Attached Images

11-17-2018, 09:02 AM - 4 Likes   #3370

My current film camera Pentax of choice is the LX with an ME super as secondary. I only use B&W film and leave colour to my digital camera's
I use the following lenses:
Pentax SMC 28mm f. 2.8
Pentax SMC 50mm f.1.7
Pentax SMC 50mm f.2
Tokina 70mm ~ 210mm

I use a Rollei 35s as a walk-about street shooter!
Attached Images

11-19-2018, 01:46 PM - 4 Likes   #3371
Veteran Member

Have quite a few, but today is just for my new LX. Got from a forum member a month ago, and spent several weeks at Advanced Camera in Oregon to have it serviced. Still running the first roll, though.

It came with the FA-1 finder and a matte screen with no focusing aid. I wear glasses so I didn't really like this combo. Have replaced the screen with a SG screen for the MX (split range finder with microprism on a matte ground glass) and the FC-1 action finder.

Shown with my FA 31 Limited.

通过我的 moto x4 上的 Tapatalk发言
01-09-2019, 11:45 AM - 3 Likes   #3372
Veteran Member

Another charity shop bargain.....

I already posted some pics of this on the 'K1000 - made in Japan' thread and also 'whats up with the K1000 prices' thread but what the hell - here is a pic of 'Kim' the K1000 - a made in Japan model picked up from a charity shop earlier this week for a mere £40 and that included its original case and strap, a pair of so-so lenses and an off brand semi auto flash. So not a bad deal at all.

Only problems were the film counter index mark had shifted - soon put that right and a nice deep clean. Meter works ok, film speeds all seem ok to the eye, average level of drek in the viewfinder for a camera of this age and a minor scuff on the mirror. Lens locking ring was a little loose but a quick tighten up sorted that out - pretty much a clean and fettle job but I will replace the seals as a matter of course. Damn I have to stop going in that shop - they always have great gear and very often at very reasonable money.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-TZ70  Photo 
01-12-2019, 06:44 AM - 2 Likes   #3373
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi everyone.
Relative newbie here.

Am currently using a Pentax MZ-S.
And the lenses i often use it with are the FA-77 and the F-50 1.4 and the A-50 1.4.

I still haven't figured out how to include photos with my postings here. when i have it figured out, will post a couple of photos of the very sexy MZ-S.

Also have the LX, which i have yet to put it through its paces.

I am a relative newcomer, thats why yet to give the LX some "exercise".

Acquired the MZ-S and the LX only about 5 to 6 months ago.
But have already put quite a lot of rolls through the MZ-S.

And yeah, i do think the LX is one damn good looking and super spec'ed SLR.
01-15-2019, 11:41 PM   #3374
Veteran Member

Hey termy, about your LX, it might be worth your while to have a skilled tech give it a thorough once over before you plan any shooting excursions with it. Reason why is old LXes that have been sitting around a long time tend to develop a sticky mirror, which often requires the replacement of mirror bumpers in order for this problem to be corrected. I know of this because I went through it when I bought a clean used LX a few years ago. Mine not only had the sticky mirror, but the mirror stops had deteriorated, resulting in the mirror not positioning itself at rest correctly, which resulted in the lens's distance scale not to agree at all with the viewfinder. That is, if I focused on something that was, say, 10 feet away, the lens's scale was reading maybe closer to 15 feet. It was way off. A CLA by a skilled tech solved my woes.
01-20-2019, 07:19 AM   #3375
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
Hey termy, about your LX, it might be worth your while to have a skilled tech give it a thorough once over before you plan any shooting excursions with it. Reason why is old LXes that have been sitting around a long time tend to develop a sticky mirror, which often requires the replacement of mirror bumpers in order for this problem to be corrected. I know of this because I went through it when I bought a clean used LX a few years ago. Mine not only had the sticky mirror, but the mirror stops had deteriorated, resulting in the mirror not positioning itself at rest correctly, which resulted in the lens's distance scale not to agree at all with the viewfinder. That is, if I focused on something that was, say, 10 feet away, the lens's scale was reading maybe closer to 15 feet. It was way off. A CLA by a skilled tech solved my woes.
thanks much for the advice Cool.
yeap, am aware of that problem with the LX.