Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2009, 09:12 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
First time seeing someone really has this lens, wonder how it compares against the non-Asp one ...
I'm presuming it is the Aspherical from the feet markings on the lens as described on the Dimitrov page K 15/3.5 AL
but I can't be sure. I contacted Pentax with the serial # and they were not sure as well.
This lens is a fairly new purchase....and I have to shield it from the sun/light with one hand due to it's design and it is very very heavy, but I like it a lot. I'd love to know for sure if it is aspherical and if so compare it to a non (but I can't afford/justify purchasing a non version as well)

05-02-2009, 06:44 PM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
The "K" Crew!
That's a great looking collection. If only one of the KX was black like the K2 ones
05-02-2009, 06:45 PM   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
1958 Pentax "K"

The "K" crew is not complete without this one. Heh.

This is actually a screw mount camera, right? Saw a couple of this sold on eBay for quite high prices, but couldn't find much info about this one. Wonder why Pentax would call it a "K" but it's actually not a K mount camera
05-02-2009, 06:48 PM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
I'm presuming it is the Aspherical from the feet markings on the lens as described on the Dimitrov page K 15/3.5 AL
but I can't be sure. I contacted Pentax with the serial # and they were not sure as well.
This lens is a fairly new purchase....and I have to shield it from the sun/light with one hand due to it's design and it is very very heavy, but I like it a lot. I'd love to know for sure if it is aspherical and if so compare it to a non (but I can't afford/justify purchasing a non version as well)

Yeah, that's one of the myths which nobody can explain for sure I guess. A couple of years ago I saw one in mint condition sold for over 1600USD on eBay! I got my A15/3.5 (like new) for less than 800usd, and that's because I was very sick (of LBA) at that moment, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it ...

05-02-2009, 10:52 PM   #80
Forum Member

My little M Family

Aquired the ME Super about 18 years ago from my uncle. This and the M50 f1.7 where my only camera gear for a long time. Got the M28 on a trip to Melbourne in 1998 and the M80-200 and T6-2X a little latter. Haven't used them much in the last 5 years as I went digital and jump brands to a Canon 20D. I recenlty got an K Mount to EOS adaptor and started messing around with the pentax gear again. I still have a great appreciation for the ME's size and design. Scored the ME on the local trading site a little over a month ago, it came with the mint M50 f1.4. Not bad for $49NZD. I also have the ME Winder but only used it once, the noise it made freaked me out I thought it was going to rip my little camera apart.
I really envy the pentax users that live in the US and Europe for the amount of used gear you have access to. I foolishly check out ebay ocassionaly. I'd really like a few more lenses but the wider and longer primes don't show up that often down here in New Zealand and our dollars value makes purchasing from offshore a little more expensive.
05-02-2009, 11:01 PM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikengstrom Quote

Aquired the ME Super about 18 years ago from my uncle.
Terrific shot of your gear...!
05-02-2009, 11:57 PM   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
That's a great looking collection. If only one of the KX was black like the K2 ones

Thanks, yes my next wish is to add a black KX. I have one picked out, just saving up for it.

05-03-2009, 05:18 PM   #83
Inactive Account

My latest Pentax film camera - an SP1000 that was bought with the 55mm 1:2 lens, a Vivitar 28mm lens, Vivitar 253 flash, cleaning kit from the 70's, very icky hard case from 70's, original manuals, warranty paperwork from when it was purchased new, receipts for a CLA in 1979, original leather Pentax case, etc... I blew off the dust and the bits of the case which was actually falling apart inside, replaced the internal foam, new battery, and it is back in action. Total cost for everything $37.74

Took it to the coast and ran a couple test rolls today while we were out and about in the mighty VW. Will turn the bathroom back into a darkroom this week at some point and see what sort of results I got. I was already surprised at how clear and crisp the original 55mm is compared to the K1000 and the 50mm.

05-03-2009, 05:21 PM   #84
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
This is actually a screw mount camera, right? Saw a couple of this sold on eBay for quite high prices, but couldn't find much info about this one. Wonder why Pentax would call it a "K" but it's actually not a K mount camera
Because this was the K model manufactured in 1958 about 18 years before Pentax ever thought of switching to the bayonet (K) mount used on the 1976 and later K1000, KX, KM, K2 cameras. Asahi Optical Company released the "Pentax" model camera in May of 1957 followed by the release of the Pentax S model in April of 1958 and the K model in May of 1958. Asahi discontinued the "Pentax" model now known as the AP in 1958 and actually included Pentax in the company name about this same time.

CW

Last edited by straightshooter; 05-03-2009 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Additional infomation
05-03-2009, 06:44 PM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by straightshooter Quote
Because this was the K model manufactured in 1958 about 18 years before Pentax ever thought of switching to the bayonet (K) mount used on the 1976 and later K1000, KX, KM, K2 cameras. Asahi Optical Company released the "Pentax" model camera in May of 1957 followed by the release of the Pentax S model in April of 1958 and the K model in May of 1958. Asahi discontinued the "Pentax" model now known as the AP in 1958 and actually included Pentax in the company name about this same time.

CW
Thanks for the info. Quite interesting. I guess Pentax didn't make many of these, thus the high price on second hand market.
05-04-2009, 12:17 PM   #86
Inactive Account

You're welcome Frank. And by the way, despite the high prices brought by the original AP and the K models, the 1958 S model, according to research done by others, seems to be the rarest of the 3 models.

CW
05-04-2009, 04:53 PM   #87
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by straightshooter Quote
You're welcome Frank. And by the way, despite the high prices brought by the original AP and the K models, the 1958 S model, according to research done by others, seems to be the rarest of the 3 models.
Production numbers as best as are known:

Asahi-Pentax 1957 19,546 units made
Pentax S 1958 ca. 4,900
Pentax K 1958 21,454
Pentax S2/ H2 1959-1963 130,892
Pentax S3/ H3 1961-1969 361,215
Pentax S1/ H1 1961-1963 ca. 46,500
Pentax S2 super 1962-1968 ca. 52,500
Pentax SV 1962-1968 ca. 481,696
Pentax S1a 1962-1968 ca. 135,352

The "S" is the rarest followed by the AP then then by the K. However, it is the beauty of the Zebra lens that makes the K so desirable. Everyone wants it. Also, it really is a transitional model in that it introduced the automatic diaphragm and the lens itself is a forebearer of the 55 f/1.8 lens that became a very important standard. It is quite an important camera in its own right and arguably the most beautiful of the early hand made models. I believe The H2 was the last of the hand made models and after that they were all mass produced - perhaps not as we currently understand that term, but nonetheless...

woof!
05-04-2009, 05:18 PM   #88

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
I've got the aspherical one, too--or at least I think so. It has the "right" feet markings, and the same pattern of reflections as on this page:

Comparison with SMC PENTAX 1:3.5/15 and smc PENTAX 1:3.5/15mm

In addition, note that there are more "steps" in the housing leading up to the glass on the non-aspherical version...my lens as the fewer "steps" as well.

It's a great, weird lens...I'm extremely fond of mine. Here's a crappy pic of it on my LX (which, you can't really make out, I just recovered with a kit from Aki-Asahi).

05-04-2009, 05:19 PM   #89

Oh BTW, about the 15/3.5. If you don't have the lens cap--nobody seems to--you can make one out of a cat food tin, thoroughly cleaned, lined with adhesive felt, then covered on the outside with black masking tape.
05-04-2009, 05:28 PM   #90
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mabelsound Quote
Oh BTW, about the 15/3.5. If you don't have the lens cap--nobody seems to--you can make one out of a cat food tin, thoroughly cleaned, lined with adhesive felt, then covered on the outside with black masking tape.
That is a positively hilarious, genius hack!!