Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 775 Likes Search this Thread
05-25-2009, 05:26 PM   #166
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Here's one of a new-to-me Super A, dubbed Dangermouse for being a little British fellow. Took these a few days ago and got tired before I uploaded them.

That's a sharp looking camera. I can see why you were excited about getting it. Nice combo with the motor drive.

05-26-2009, 12:49 AM   #167
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
What model HP scanner do u have? I have been scanning my XP-2 for the past hour and am scanning straight to gray scale.
i have HP ScanJet 4370. i got very low dynamic range scans when scanning directly to grayscale with XP2 with original HP TWAIN drivers, and i got completely useless results with standard, non-chromogenic B&W film.
i also had many problems while scanning standard color negs, i got heavy purple tinting, severe banding colors, great loss of dynamic range - you name it, i got it. but that only affected real scans, previews were always spot-on.

recently i found that VueScan application without interference of original HP drivers yields very good results with traditional B&W films, haven't tried with color negs yet..

so, the point is, if you have problems with HP drivers - try scanning with VueScan, that'll probably help.
05-26-2009, 01:10 PM   #168
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No Lynching, just a Question

I like the ME Super too (I own three!!) but I find when I want film, I pick up the Super Program. I guess having all the AE options appeals to me. But I haven't developed a steady preference yet. Sometimes the KX calls to me…

I would love to hear you and others brag on the ME Super and why you like it more than say the Super Program.

I have no ego-investment, just interested in seeing what features and intangibles enter into the preference.

Right now I pick my camera according to whatever The Voices tell me....

..you have those voices don't you? You know, the ones in your head…

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
djohnfot
That's all you need. I know that for as many film cameras as I have, I really only use my ME SUPERS. Best SLR ''ever'' made...OK, Let the lynching continue
05-26-2009, 02:25 PM   #169
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ME Super

QuoteOriginally posted by lawsonstone Quote
I like the ME Super too (I own three!!) but I find when I want film, I pick up the Super Program. I guess having all the AE options appeals to me. But I haven't developed a steady preference yet. Sometimes the KX calls to me…

I own two (one since 1984), and a KX (since 1977).

I would love to hear you and others brag on the ME Super and why you like it more than say the Super Program.

The VIEWFINDER overcomes any and all drawbacks (little buttons to change shutter speed, small form factor for my hands, electronics subject to corrosion if stored in damp environment)

I have no ego-investment, just interested in seeing what features and intangibles enter into the preference.

For these ageing eyes its all in the viewfinder.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-26-2009 at 08:07 PM.
05-26-2009, 03:47 PM   #170

QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote

spotmatic II
MZ-7
ME
PZ-1P

various lens as well as the K100D pic taken with the K200D
You're my new hero.
05-26-2009, 04:33 PM   #171
Inactive Account

Sightseeing Screwmount

[shameless plug]

At present we are circulating my early Asahi SV screwmount amongst a group of folks who want to try one of the more prosaic 1960's Pentax screwmount cameras...

We are calling it the Sightseeing Screwmount. Talk about having some mileage!

The camera is currently en route to the next recipient. Here is a recent picture of the camera in Florida courtesy of Blue. <thanks Blue!>

If you want in, come over and read the post. Happy to add you to the list.

[/shameless plug]

05-26-2009, 07:22 PM   #172
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lawsonstone Quote

Voices? Only my wife asking me what I bought now with that look in her eye

My reasons are simple actually.
first, my list of what I have to compare my ME supers with.
qty
Pentax
3 me supers (1 BLACK)
2 k1000'S
1 1964 Spotmatic
1 Spotmatic sp2
1 LX

Canon
1 AE-1 Program
1 ftb
1 F-1

Of all these by far and away the me supers are my favorites for the following reasons.
1) The view finder...It is legendary.
2) Aperture priority..(the canon ae-1 is shutter priority that I hate for my purposes)
3) It is small and light
4) The shutter is very quiet compared to my other SLR's
5) Since I use them primarily for street shooting, I have ttwo set up. One has a Tokina 28F/2.8 and the other has the Pancake M40F/2.8. Since they have fast shutters 1/2000, i use asa 800 film in one and asa 400 film in the other. Why is this important? Because I shoot at between F/8 and F16 with F/11 being my fav. Why?..Because I use Hyperfocal or some people call it zone focusing 99% of the time. This makes the ME SUPER a true point and shoot..No need for auto focus or fusing with shutter speeds. Just point and click, It is as fast as my finger is. I rarely miss a shot because of focusing reasons. So long as I am from 5 to 30 feet from my subject, I am good to go. Heck, I don't even need to look through that bright view finder....I just purchased another one today that I will keep an M50F/1.4 with Ilford XP-2 in it and add it to my travels. (I can't get myself to use my black one)...

So for me, the ME SUPER is the finest SLR ever made.

05-26-2009, 09:56 PM   #173
Veteran Member

Javier, you should get an SE version of the ME Super I got one (actually two, but I'm passing one to my friend soon), and really love it. The 45 degree split screen is really cool.

Why choose ME Super over SuperA? My reasons are pretty much the same as Javier's, actually the viewfinder alone is enough for me to select ME Super over the SuperA SuperA does have some additional features: DOF preview, auto program mode, shutter speed priority mode and etc. But I never really used any of these.
05-26-2009, 11:55 PM   #174
Veteran Member

Quick question. Does the ME and ME Super have the same viewfinder or is there a diffrence?

An ME passed through my camera cabinet some time ago but I can't say I found it very impressive.
05-27-2009, 12:38 AM   #175
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimfear Quote
Quick question. Does the ME and ME Super have the same viewfinder or is there a diffrence?

An ME passed through my camera cabinet some time ago but I can't say I found it very impressive.
ME and ME Super should have the same viewfinder. If you think the viewfinder on ME isn't very impressive, I guess there aren't many choices out there except the MX and LX ... I mean from Pentax cameras.

Edit: well, I see LX and MX in your collection. No wonder
05-27-2009, 12:56 AM   #176
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
ME and ME Super should have the same viewfinder. If you think the viewfinder on ME isn't very impressive, I guess there aren't many choices out there except the MX and LX ... I mean from Pentax cameras.

Edit: well, I see LX and MX in your collection. No wonder

That's what I thought. I have heard a lot about the magnificent viewfinder of the ME Super (and ME) but I never tried it before having used both the MX and LX for a couple of years so that's probably why the WOW-factor wasn't there, not to say the ME's viewfinder is bad in any way. And the MX viewfinder is simply huge!

I'd like to know which viewfinder is the largest among 35mm SLR, the MX cannot be far from it.
05-27-2009, 01:41 AM   #177
Veteran Member

That's what I thought. I have heard a lot about the magnificent viewfinder of the ME Super (and ME) but I never tried it before having used both the MX and LX for a couple of years so that's probably why the WOW-factor wasn't there, not to say the ME's viewfinder is bad in any way. And the MX viewfinder is simply huge!

I'd like to know which viewfinder is the largest among 35mm SLR, the MX cannot be far from it.
For Pentax, I think MX has the biggest viewfinder at 0.97 x 95%, probably even slightly bigger than the LX. ME/ME Super isn't too far behind at 0.95 x 92%.

I have both MX and ME Super SE right now, I prefer the ME Super SE simply because its Av mode and 45 degree split screen The film winder on ME Super feels better than MX too, but can't compare w/ LX in this regard.
05-27-2009, 02:20 AM   #178
Inactive Account

I also own the MX & LX and find that the LX is a small tiny bit bigger, IMO at least. Also, as far as the biggest ones out there, I also know the OM-1,2 & 3 are pretty big and nice.
05-27-2009, 03:11 AM   #179
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaddyLuna Quote
I also own the MX & LX and find that the LX is a small tiny bit bigger, IMO at least. Also, as far as the biggest ones out there, I also know the OM-1,2 & 3 are pretty big and nice.

That's strange, I find the MX quite clearly bigger. And it should be considering that the LX has more coverage, and coverage and magnification don't go well together. Haven't found any info on the magnification of the LX viewfinder but it should logically be less than the MX. Or have I lost myself in the physical and logical thinking?

Anyway my subjective conclusion is that the MX has the larger viewfinder.
05-27-2009, 07:43 AM   #180
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaddyLuna Quote
I also own the MX & LX and find that the LX is a small tiny bit bigger, IMO at least.
I think it depends on which viewfinder you have on the LX.