Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2009, 10:27 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Based on the latch being on the body instead of on the door, I suspect it's actually a post 1964 S1a body that's had an S2 top plate put on it. The latch was moved from the door to the body in 1964 on the SV/HV3 & S1a/H1a models plus the R on the rewind knob was changed from green to orange. Also looks like it has a SV or similar shutter speed dial on it since it has the 1/1000 shutter speed marked. Still, as long as it works and with the 3 Taks you got with it, it was a pretty good deal.

Seaain, do you concur?

CW

05-10-2009, 03:01 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rthomas Quote
Here are several pics of my "S2 hybrid" - please let me know what you think...
Isn't THAT something.

Please go to this page and scroll down until youy get to the section for the H2. it is the same camera as the S2. the designation was for different markets, but cosmetically and functionally they were 100% the same cameras.

Cameras of my collection - the Original Asahi-Pentax

You have a 1000th speed and an auto-reset frame counter.

I'll have to research this. I don't think it's an S1. I don't think it's and H1a/S1a based on speed. It might be an SV... working.

Seaain
05-10-2009, 04:23 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I was unsure at first if I should have purchased this camera but now, given that nobody here is *quite* sure what it actually is, I am very glad that I did.

Today I put a roll of film through it to test the shutter and to look for light leaks (the back seems a little loose). I will post some pics tomorrow if I get some good ones!
05-10-2009, 04:29 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
Isn't THAT something.

Please go to this page and scroll down until youy get to the section for the H2. it is the same camera as the S2. the designation was for different markets, but cosmetically and functionally they were 100% the same cameras.

Seaain
I looked at this web page and saw a table near the bottom, there is a reference to an S2 Super, manufactured from 1962 until 1968... I've never heard of that one before. Could this be the same camera? One of the documents in the camera case was a US Customs document from 1969 stating that the camera was purchased at a Navy PX in Yokosuka, Japan. I assume this camera would have been purchased during 1968 or 1969, give or take a few months, since the average length of a tour of duty during the 1960s was about a year (based on what I know from my Dad, my Father-In-Law, and my Uncle all serving in the US Air Force in the Pacific during that time).

Last edited by rthomas; 05-10-2009 at 04:32 PM. Reason: cleaned up the text...
05-10-2009, 05:21 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Retracted, see my post below.

Last edited by woof; 05-10-2009 at 05:34 PM.
05-10-2009, 05:24 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rthomas Quote
I looked at this web page and saw a table near the bottom, there is a reference to an S2 Super, manufactured from 1962 until 1968...
Oh my. I think you are right.

I have to look more into this. I don't have one. Yet.

However, clearly the Super S2 had a 1/1000 speed and it had only S2 on the top plate. Moreover, it had the SV-like wind/film counter. They were sold in Japan only instead of the S1/S1a. Your provenance proves that it came from Japan.

See photo here:

http://www.aohc.it/cameras/s2super.jpg

Hell, look at the serial number 170xxxx

I honestly think that is what you have.

Best 75.00 you will EVER spend. NICE find.

Wow. Very exciting.

woof

Last edited by woof; 05-10-2009 at 05:35 PM.
05-10-2009, 05:50 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Very nice indeed. I shot with this camera today, and I love how responsive it is. Who needs a light meter, anyway? Thanks for the information.
05-10-2009, 05:51 PM   #23
Veteran Member

More evidence.

Standard S2/H2 has screws on the back on either side of the viewfinder.

None whatsoever on yours.

I'd say it's a lock. This has to be an S2 Super. First I have seen outside of the photograph I showed you.

If I can find any further evidence I'll post, but i'm satisfied with the identification.

Congratulations.

Seaain

05-10-2009, 06:36 PM   #24
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote

Best 75.00 you will EVER spend. NICE find.

woof
No kidding about that. I never even considered the S2 Super since you see so few of those. WOW!

CW
05-10-2009, 07:19 PM   #25
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by straightshooter Quote
No kidding about that. I never even considered the S2 Super since you see so few of those. WOW!
I have to say, this is a very exciting way to get back into shooting Pentax! Thanks again for all the information.
05-10-2009, 07:19 PM   #26
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by straightshooter Quote
I have to say, this is a very exciting way to get back into shooting Pentax! Thanks again for all the information.
05-18-2009, 04:54 PM   #27
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Last Friday I put a roll of film through this camera, and got it back from the local drugstore today. No light leaks, no shutter drag, the speeds all seem to work correctly, and the apertures on all three lenses stop down accurately. I may still get it CLA'd but it appears to be in perfect working order. I bought this camera thinking I would sell it after cleaning it up, but now I am keeping it.
05-18-2009, 06:19 PM   #28
Inactive Account

Take it and 4-5 rolls of film down to the Black Mountain/Montreat area. That lake at Montreat with the mountains in the background is beautiful.

CW
05-18-2009, 06:28 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Such a beautiful area. My wife lived in Black Mountain on Montreat Rd. when we were dating. We're trying to get up to Asheville this weekend.
05-18-2009, 06:46 PM   #30
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by geauxpez Quote
Such a beautiful area. My wife lived in Black Mountain on Montreat Rd. when we were dating. We're trying to get up to Asheville this weekend.
Isn't it? And since he lives in Boone, that should only be a 1-2 hour trip if that.

By the way, here in Atlanta, have you ever been down State Road 85 below Fayetteville to Star's Mill? Definitely worth seeing and photographing. And if you have the time, go a little further down SR 85 to where Covered Bridge Road cuts off and get a few shots of Big Red Oak Creek bridge. There's a couple of pics of it in my gallery.

CW

Last edited by straightshooter; 05-18-2009 at 06:51 PM.