Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2009, 08:35 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Takumar 135mm f/2.5 - samples

I thought I'd post my first results from the Takumar Bayonet 135mm f/2.5 since the other lens forum doesn't seem interested if film samples are shown.

I didn't know a lot about this lens but, it is mint and included in the trade I did a few days ago so I couldn't say no. When I got home I looked on the Lens Review section here and it gets a low 6.69/10 from 13 reviewers. Most reviewers stated wide open the lens is way too soft and it should be used as a door stop. Uh oh, I thought.

One thing I have learned is reviewers are more than likely using dSLRs. This can skew the review (from a certain point of view) as it's a totally different platform.

Here are my first results, PP included very slight color and temp corrections.
USM 0.7 and 100%. Fuji 400 X-Tra.
Numbers 3 and 5 are wide open, f/2.5

04-20-2009, 12:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's hard to tell from such small images but to me it looks quite sharp, not sure about the focus in the last image though. Do you have any larger pics?

Boké in number 2 and 4 looks a little harsh compared to the Pentax version of this lens.

What scanner did you use?

Post more examples please. At least it seems to be performing better than a door stop would

PS. Last image expression on the little girls face is scary! Staring straight into my soul...
04-20-2009, 03:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimfear Quote

PS. Last image expression on the little girls face is scary! Staring straight into my soul...
I think she looks cute!

Unfortunately that lens has had a bad reputation right from the days of film - it's not just the digital crowd. Actually, those pictures look OK to me, but the bokeh is a bit distracting on one or two, and the colour rendition looks odd - yellow/blue, but of course that could be the scans.
04-20-2009, 07:47 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimfear Quote
It's hard to tell from such small images but to me it looks quite sharp, not sure about the focus in the last image though. Do you have any larger pics?

Boké in number 2 and 4 looks a little harsh compared to the Pentax version of this lens.

What scanner did you use?

Post more examples please. At least it seems to be performing better than a door stop would

Thanks Jimfear. I've had the Pentax M 135mm f/3.5 before (on digital) and prefer it but, this lens was a freebie in a trade so I didn't do too bad. I used my Epson 2450 Photo flatbed. No money for a dedicated neg/slide scanner atm. As for my daughter's expression, I tried to get her attention. Unfortunately the smile turned very quickly into that stare, lol.

QuoteOriginally posted by artobest Quote
I think she looks cute!

Unfortunately that lens has had a bad reputation right from the days of film - it's not just the digital crowd. Actually, those pictures look OK to me, but the bokeh is a bit distracting on one or two, and the colour rendition looks odd - yellow/blue, but of course that could be the scans.
Thanks artobest. The Fuji 400 X-Tra seems harsh on people shots so I'm going to give Kodak Ultra Max 400 a try to compare.

04-20-2009, 10:58 AM   #5

These images do seem to have some color cast. I've never had any luck scanning color negatives myself. These days I just let the grocery stores do the processing and scanning.
04-21-2009, 01:20 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I really like the first and third image. The others do have some funny Bokeh to them. I also have this lens and have not got the same results as the ones you posted. You done well as far as I can see.
04-21-2009, 07:43 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Javier, I'm finding it hard to focus than the M 135 f/3.5 so I'm not sure if it is worth having both. I haven't used my M 135 f/3.5 on film yet.
04-23-2009, 11:42 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a copy of this lens... Don't know if I've shot any film with it, yet, maybe a frame or two. (135mm has never been a big favorite with me in full-frame, really, but on crop it makes a wonderful fast little 200ish equivalent) My ME Super is still loaded with the first roll, but I haven't gotten far on it: still mostly using my Canons for film.

It seems to give a promising look in monochrome, though, anyway, and the sharpness still says 'prime lens' to me.

04-23-2009, 12:59 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ajuett Quote
Thanks artobest. The Fuji 400 X-Tra seems harsh on people shots so I'm going to give Kodak Ultra Max 400 a try to compare.
I've gotten all kinds of weird skin tones using standard Fuji color films. Part of that has to do with the age of the film though. Some of this stuff is sitting on store shelves 6-12 months before you buy it, and that never happened before. I'm finding that buying either slide film or professional C-41 films tend to get me better, more natural results.

Kodak tends to render some very strong orange-red skin tones, at least the standard grade stuff anyways. I've got pictures of my roomate on UltraMax 800 where it looks like he'd been eating nothing but carrots for two weeks. Interestingly enough, Ektar (which is supposed to be optimized for things like landscapes, not skin tones) produces some nice skin tones under overcast lighting.
04-23-2009, 02:15 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I have a copy of this lens... Don't know if I've shot any film with it, yet, maybe a frame or two. (135mm has never been a big favorite with me in full-frame, really, but on crop it makes a wonderful fast little 200ish equivalent) My ME Super is still loaded with the first roll, but I haven't gotten far on it: still mostly using my Canons for film.

It seems to give a promising look in monochrome, though, anyway, and the sharpness still says 'prime lens' to me.
You should try it on film. It's the same length regardless of film or digital body, you just get a cropped image with digital. Color-wise it seems great on film, even better with Kodak UltraMax 400.
04-23-2009, 10:09 PM   #11
Pentaxian

You should try it on film. It's the same length regardless of film or digital body, you just get a cropped image with digital. Color-wise it seems great on film, even better with Kodak UltraMax 400.
Well, I do mean in terms of framing, though, yes. Though I'm sure I'll use it on film: it's the only tele I've *got* for Pentax (Gonna need me an 85 one of these days )

Someone posted some stuff with that Ultramax 400 that piqued my interest, though I don't do a lot of color film these days. (I don't suppose it comes in 120, come to think of it?) I may just pick some up, though. I see it around town.
04-23-2009, 10:14 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Well, I do mean in terms of framing, though, yes. Though I'm sure I'll use it on film: it's the only tele I've *got* for Pentax (Gonna need me an 85 one of these days )

Someone posted some stuff with that Ultramax 400 that piqued my interest, though I don't do a lot of color film these days. (I don't suppose it comes in 120, come to think of it?) I may just pick some up, though. I see it around town.
I posted a few examples of the UltraMax 400 but, was playing around with a Chromofilter G2 at the same time. So it really didn't show the true colors off of the UltraMax 400.

135mm is great for ice staking rinks, as long as you are rink-side An M 85mm f/2 would do me just fine but, it'll have to wait.

Last edited by ajuett; 04-23-2009 at 10:56 PM.
04-24-2009, 06:56 AM   #13
Pentaxian

135mm is great for ice staking rinks, as long as you are rink-side An M 85mm f/2 would do me just fine but, it'll have to wait.
Oof, yeah, that was one thing I had to accept about the Pentax thing, 85's are a bit harder to come by/crazy expensive, depending what you look at. My most-used lens of all is an old Canon 85 f1.8 SSC, so that M lens would be pretty appealing on non-crippled cameras. (Put that on an LX and I could roll. ) For the moment I'm still mostly carrying the FD stuff alongside my K20d, which isn't really a hardship, since the Pentax lenses I have are all light and small, and I've got faster stuff in Canon.

If I get really kitted up with Pentax to the point I'll want to carry just one system like that, I'll probably go with a 77, which would likely live on the film body, that'll probably work.