Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2009, 05:46 PM   #1
Inactive Account

MZ-S Shutter noise? (request)

Hey everyone, I suppose I have a favour to ask. I'm wondering if anybody with an MZ-S could pick up the camera, break out the pocket digi-cam, and record & post a clip of firing the shutter on movie mode. I'm curious to hear one in action. I've read k100d's comparison post on the MZ series.

I'm really thinking about 'trading' out my LX for an MZ-S, as for my use the LX doesn't offer much above and beyond my MX, other than a useful IDM meter for long night shots. The EV comp and flash sync speeds are a little underdeveloped, as both are 'locked' with no easy workarounds. And the shutter is a little loud for my tastes, as I do shoot performances and candids frequently.

(I don't dislike it, it's wonderfully built with an amazingly bright screen, responsive meter, and fantastic ergonomics. It's just not different enough from my MX for the way I shoot)

Plus I'd welcome the spot meter, flash options and top plate display of the MZ-S. And maybe the AF (if I buy some AF lenses)

If I do go through with this, I'll have a nice Erik Hendrickson CLA'd LX with some accessories to put on the marketplace.

04-20-2009, 06:04 PM   #2
Site Supporter

I just fired my K100D and my MZ-S at high shutter speeds (1/4000 sec. and 1/6000 sec.)....

The K100D seems a tad louder. The film transport is more noticeable on the MZ-S than the shutter itself, IMO (for what it's worth).
04-20-2009, 06:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

i don't have the time to do the full recording and sound, maybe this weekend i can try.
the actual shutter noise is quiet, but the film transport is a fairly loud shriek. if you think your LX is loud (i can't imagine it being much louder than my ME super) then this is probably not the camera for you. the other MZ's are actually more quiet in their film advance.

did you read my report here?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/54906-pentax-m...ty-review.html
04-20-2009, 06:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
if you think your LX is loud (i can't imagine it being much louder than my ME super) then this is probably not the camera for you.
Believe me, the LX is much louder than the ME Super

04-20-2009, 06:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

really? hrm... ok when i get the time i'll do the k100d, me super and the mz-s :P
04-20-2009, 07:03 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
if you think your LX is loud (i can't imagine it being much louder than my ME super)

did you read my report here?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/54906-pentax-m...ty-review.html
Well, unlike the ME super and all the other vertical-run AE bodies, the LX uses a big, horizontal-run metal shutter, which has quite a 'clack' with some metallic reverberation. The MX mitigates this with the use of a rubberized silk unit, which I adore for its 'rangefinder'-esque quality.

I did read the report, quite useful. I'm a little concerned about your description of the shutter button feel, and I note it can't use a standard cable release. I guess option two for me is to obtain/modify flash hardware to allow slow-sync, and spend some $$$ on a hand held meter.
04-20-2009, 07:14 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Here is a site with some Pentax Shutter sounds; MZ-M is there, not MZ-S. Shutter Sounds

-
04-20-2009, 07:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

really? hrm... ok when i get the time i'll do the k100d, me super and the mz-s :P
Yes, LX is pretty loud, MX is very quiet, ME Super is somewhere between the MX and Super Program which is also pretty loud but not as loud as the LX

04-20-2009, 07:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ajuett Quote
Here is a site with some Pentax Shutter sounds; MZ-M is there, not MZ-S. Shutter Sounds

-
That's some cool info. Thanks for sharing.

But after hearing some of the shutter sounds, seems they only show how the shutters sound, but don't really show the level of the shutter sound.
04-21-2009, 07:47 AM   #10
Veteran Member

the shutter is quick and snappy

the film advance makes you duck for cover.
04-21-2009, 04:01 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
the shutter is quick and snappy

the film advance makes you duck for cover.

Serge, that is a nice analogy about the film transport being louder than the shutter...
04-21-2009, 08:36 PM   #12
Veteran Member

i took the recordings but the mic on my DC sucks, you miss the high pitch noise totally, but it's not very prolonged.
sorry but it's the best i can do, turn it up louder and you can hear it better.

MZS Shutter Noise :: SNC10087.flv video by pf_k100d - Photobucket
MZS Shutter Noise :: SNC10089.flv video by pf_k100d - Photobucket
MZS Shutter Noise :: SNC10091.flv video by pf_k100d - Photobucket

you should be able to tell which is which, there's a ME Super, MZ-S and a K100D in there. if you can't tell, i'll make you the subject of ridicule

Last edited by k100d; 04-21-2009 at 08:48 PM.
04-21-2009, 09:54 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
i took the recordings but the mic on my DC sucks, you miss the high pitch noise totally, but it's not very prolonged.
sorry but it's the best i can do, turn it up louder and you can hear it better.

MZS Shutter Noise :: SNC10087.flv video by pf_k100d - Photobucket
MZS Shutter Noise :: SNC10089.flv video by pf_k100d - Photobucket
MZS Shutter Noise :: SNC10091.flv video by pf_k100d - Photobucket

you should be able to tell which is which, there's a ME Super, MZ-S and a K100D in there. if you can't tell, i'll make you the subject of ridicule
Thanks for putting something up, Simon!

With no volume, I'd guess it's the K100 (mirror size), MZ-S (power zoom & lots of KAF contacts on mount) and ME super (lack of contacts on mount).

Now with headphones:
Man, I forgot how clunky the K100D's shutter was, it was my first DSLR. The MZ-S seems to have a quick shutter, but the winder masks any possible reverb. ME Super has a similar 'metallic' aftertone to the LX. In the case of all 3, I suppose sticking a lens over the hole and holding it in your hand will change the noise substantially.

Also: I can't believe you have 2 MZ-S'! You love them that much? I'd love to hear any additional thoughts on the camera now that you seem to have been using them for a while.
04-22-2009, 08:58 AM   #14
Veteran Member

i was going to comment, but basically everything you've said is what i want to mention.

i wanted one camera for color and one for b&w. i got two because i'm just an auto kinda guy and i like how solid most of the body is (except for the film door and the battery covery which i always mention). the controls are just awesome, there aren't many cameras that small these days that are that easy to use.

definitely not economically responsible, but it's too late.