Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2009, 11:15 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Samples from my efforts last night here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/569749-post408.html

04-24-2009, 12:00 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Original Poster
You have me very excited and encouraged! I have my KX and my SuperProgram loaded up with 400TX and plan to have a couple rolls exposed and ready by the time my retro-toys arrive!
04-24-2009, 12:01 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cool. )

By the way, you could put that back in the fixer and wash again, if you don't think it cleared.

(That's for Venturi, in reference to something mentioned on the linked thread)

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 04-24-2009 at 12:25 PM.
04-24-2009, 12:04 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
personally, to me it's not the lab or whether you have a nice scanner or not. the labs i go to scan a roll for $5. not the greatest scans, but it's basically like getting a contact print and stuff i can put online. if the pictures is OMG awesome then i'll spend time to scan it myself.

the issue is the time spent scanning can be used for many many better things.
My situation might be different I got a pretty nice film/slide scanner a couple years back when I faced a closet containg the lifetimes of 3-4 people in slides, and I wanted to convert that to digital. It works pretty quickly, scanning a strip of six frames at a time automatically to 3-5 mp tiffs or jpegs. Other than loading the strip in the scanner, I don't do anything else but let it crank, while I do other things.

Already having the (admittedly not cheap!) slide/film scanner, I think it's a good way to use something I already have.

04-24-2009, 12:07 PM   #20
Pentaxian

to me it seems like $75 is a lot of money for tanks etc.

I think it can be done a lot cheaper

the real value of processing yourself is the ability to push process, especially with Tri-X.
04-24-2009, 12:32 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I had to buy *everything* - tank, changing bag, graduates, storage bottles, thermometer, clips, etc. plus the chemicals (developer, fixer, hypoclear & photoflo). The only thing I already had was a good stopwatch.

All total it came to ~ $150 shipped. Now, I did buy all new (but I did not go all Paterson) so that added to the cost. I shopped ebay & craigslist but from what I saw in a couple weeks worth of watching it wouldn't have saved me very much and I would have ended up with a bunch of stuff I did not want or need.

So while it was a little steep on the front end, it works out basicaly to the cost of me sending Dwayne's fifteen rolls of film to process. But, I don't have to wait 10 days and the cost per roll goes down dramatically from then on.
04-24-2009, 12:33 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Now that I think about it...my initial cost is sort of lower since I had about 5 rolls of film added in with the chem order...so take like $15 off

Stuff I didn't "need" but got anyway:
Graduated cylinder for each chem (mix all at once, no fiddling while the film is bathing)
Stop bath (fast, less water)
Wash aid (fast, less water)
All Ilfords (excepting PhotoFlo by Kodak) for consistency

So most of my expenses were in the chems...but those costs are spread quickly since you only need ~50mL for each per 35mm reel. PhotoFlo lasts a lifetime You add literally just a splash and the rest is water...PhotoFlo is more like a "drop."

The film is only in the tank for about 20 minutes total. I'll pay a little extra for that time savings (saved time in dev only to waste it in scanning! )

Oh and the changing bag was most expensive...almost $20.
04-24-2009, 02:22 PM   #23
Ira
Inactive Account

While it's very satisfying to do--plus the extra control--it turned into a 'job' for me. I had a ball in the beginning, and like you I'm talking 35 years ago, but I was doing E6 chromes.

I'm just too old and too lazy nowadays, not to mention the wife and kids. Would rather spend the time shooting and leave the professional processing to the professionals.

To each his own, and maybe I'll change my mind one day, but have fun!

I do miss that damn smell though. Pure ambrosia!

04-24-2009, 03:50 PM   #24
Veteran Member

It's addictive. I took a break too - 25 years. Now it's the only thing I want to do. I use a daylight developing tank (Agfa Rondinax) so loading the film etc isn't a problem. Brilliant piece of kit! The rest is just odds and ends - a medicine graduate from the local chemist, cocktail stirrers and plastic jugs from the supermarket ... about 5 all up.
04-24-2009, 04:06 PM   #25
Ira
Inactive Account

I have a brand-new 4-roll Paterson tank SOMEWHERE in the house that I bought 10 years ago. But back when in the 70s and 80s, I STUNK at loading those damn reels.

So for my E6 work, I used these incredibly easy to use film sleeves--I think that's what they were called--and I think they were Kodak.

They were long acetate/other plastic type material strips with ridges on the edges that naturally curled into a circle to drop into a tank. The ridges kept the film surfaces from touching each other. You just stuck the end of the roll into the rolled/curled end, stretched the sleeve out straight and laid the film straight on top of it, and when you let go, it curled into a circle to drop into the tank.

I LOVED it, and can't figure out why you can't find it any more.
04-24-2009, 05:42 PM   #26
Inactive Account

I acquired a a box full of developing stuff from an Ebay sale - 2 tanks, thermometer, measuring pitcher and some stir sticks - for $20. I bought a new dark-room bag for another $20. Just need some containers to mix up the developer and fixer and I'm all set!

It's been about 10 years since I developed film. Don't know why I gave it all up. Oh yeah, digital cameras .....
04-24-2009, 06:10 PM   #27
Ira
Inactive Account

I really hate you guys:

I just put a bid in on a tank and the kind of reels I was talking about, which I now see and remember are called "aprons."

But what's the whole changing bag about? If you're doing it during the day?

I never had a problem because I did everything at night, turned off all lights, and loaded sitting on the floor of an interior closet with the door closed.

Pitch black.
04-24-2009, 06:19 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Hey, speaking what comes in odd lots of darkroom things, does anyone here use a Durst tank system, perchance? I came by a reel for one (I'm pretty sure it's a Durst: it's hiding atm, but should be around here somewhere, still: has the box and, I think instructions, even: it goes with a crank-wound loader of some kind) that's kind of an orphan, if anyone has need of one.
04-24-2009, 06:56 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I really hate you guys:

I just put a bid in on a tank and the kind of reels I was talking about, which I now see and remember are called "aprons."

I never had a problem because I did everything at night, turned off all lights, and loaded sitting on the floor of an interior closet with the door closed.

Pitch black.
The bag's actually pretty helpful, that way, yes: no need to wait for dark if you don't have a dark space. Handy for if you ever have any film breakage in a camera or some other problem like that, too.
04-24-2009, 11:34 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I really hate you guys:

Pitch black.
Your closets aren't stuffed full...like the 1980s sitcoms where all manner of sports balls and random things come flying out once the door is opened? lol

But yeah...I use the bag anytime, anywhere...usually while watching TV. Having hours of experience in a dark bag lends itself easily to multi-tasking