Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2009, 09:29 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
But if your scanning the film anyway it's no better than your scanner. You lose all the attributes and subtleties and depth of film. Might as well shoot digital and desaturate.
Not in my experience. A good scanner has more than enough resolution to bring out the grain in most black and white films.

05-06-2009, 04:20 PM   #47
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As far as tanks go, I'm partial to the Paterson Super System 4 developing tanks. They come in several sizes and have the easiest to work reels that I've tried to use.
05-06-2009, 07:10 PM   #48
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by artobest Quote
Not in my experience. A good scanner has more than enough resolution to bring out the grain in most black and white films.
I have access to high end scanners most folks will never see nor be able to use. It's my job. There is still "something" missing. IMPO And lets face it most people buy the copier/scanner/fax Or a $200 scanner and think it's high end. My cheapest Epson scanner new is over $1,000
05-06-2009, 09:15 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Scanners dynamic range far less than most B/W film. You will always lose "depth" with a scan.

graphicgr8s is right (pun intended), you will never get the feel of a wet process print when you scan.

But as I have no access to a darkroom, it is the best I can do, and I like the results of scanned Tri-X better then faking it in PS.

05-07-2009, 03:42 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Scanners dynamic range far less than most B/W film. You will always lose "depth" with a scan.
That's true, scanning is never going to match the theoretical dynamic range of black and white film. On the other hand, neither do photographic papers, which have a more limited dynamic range of perhaps around 6+ stops. My 48-bit scanner claims a relatively conservative DR of 3.6 - in practice it may be a bit less, but still enough to handle that 6-stop range.

IMHO dynamic range is not the be-all and end-all. You can stuff all the DR you like into an image, but there is then a danger that the result will be rather flat.
05-07-2009, 06:07 AM   #51
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote

graphicgr8s is right (pun intended), you will never get the feel of a wet process print when you scan.

But as I have no access to a darkroom, it is the best I can do, and I like the results of scanned Tri-X better then faking it in PS.
Warning ** Warning ** Sarcastic Comment Warning**

You couldn't just say "correct" could you? Had to bring politics into eh? I try to keep that in the other section of the forum.

**We now return you to your regularly scheduled deprogramming.***

***This has been a Sarcastic Comment Public Service Advertisement ****

(Is it Friday yet?)
05-07-2009, 08:14 AM   #52
Site Supporter

. . .
(Is it Friday yet?)
No. . . .
05-07-2009, 12:52 PM   #53
Site Supporter

I have access to high end scanners most folks will never see nor be able to use. It's my job. There is still "something" missing. IMPO And lets face it most people buy the copier/scanner/fax Or a $200 scanner and think it's high end. My cheapest Epson scanner new is over $1,000
Either way, something is going to have to be scanned in order to digitize a pic for internet and computer usage.