Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2009, 01:27 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
New Me super, no light meter

Just got a new me super off of eBay, seller reported fully functional when battery was inserted but did not include battery. I bought some Lr44 batteries and tried to insert one, and then two. Ygr light meter doesn't seem to be working either way, so I also can't tell whether the automatic shutter speed setting is happening. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jzietman

04-25-2009, 01:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Basically, either the meter is dead, the LEDs are fried or the entire electronics are muzzled. If the latter is the case, you've got yourself a nice paperweight.

Or you could send it to Eric to get it fixed.
04-25-2009, 02:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

not to be insulting, but did you put the batteries in the right way
04-25-2009, 03:21 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
not to be insulting, but did you put the batteries in the right way
No offense taken. I think I did. Positive side up, right? Should it be 1 battery or 2 in the me super? I know the shutter mechanism is working, but that doesn't mean the electrical features are working...

04-25-2009, 03:57 PM   #5
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Four Spotties here with one working meter--possibly two. Life goes on.

But then again, we're talking totally mechanical except for the meter.
04-25-2009, 03:57 PM   #6
Forum Member

if you mean + up as in the + side goes into the camera first, thats the right way. It'll need two batteries too.
04-25-2009, 04:17 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikengstrom Quote
if you mean + up as in the + side goes into the camera first, thats the right way. It'll need two batteries too.
Well, I had been putting them in the other way, but it still doesn't look like it's working. Does the light meter only show up in manual mode or in auto, too?

Edit: wait, it's working. I can see the light! So, yeah, the batteries were just in backwards. Oops. Now just to read the manual and figure out what the lights mean... I'm used to the match needle meters...

Last edited by jzietman; 04-25-2009 at 04:24 PM.
04-25-2009, 05:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jzietman Quote
Well, I had been putting them in the other way, but it still doesn't look like it's working. Does the light meter only show up in manual mode or in auto, too?

Edit: wait, it's working. I can see the light! So, yeah, the batteries were just in backwards. Oops. Now just to read the manual and figure out what the lights mean... I'm used to the match needle meters...
You could have saved yourself some worry and others some trouble if you had just read the manual before you started.

04-25-2009, 06:06 PM   #9

Original Poster
I did, but I didn't see anything about what direction to put the batteries in. I was basing it on how the battery goes into my KM (or at least, how the guy who sold it to me put it in, and it seems to work).
04-25-2009, 06:15 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Haha. Hooray. A manual's a good idea. They're online if you don't have one. Essentially, though, in AUTO mode, you get aperture priority, (use the aperture ring on your lens) and the LEDs say what shutter speed the camera will choose, (Or OVER or UNDER if it can't,) ...in manual, the LEDs show the shutter speed you've set with the buttons, and the OVER or UNDER will light up until you've picked an exposure that agrees with the meter.

(Yeah, manual metering's kind of an afterthought on these: it's really added on to an aperture-priority-only camera. )
04-25-2009, 06:20 PM   #11
Forum Member

Awesome. I've had my ME Super for about 19 years now, was my only camera till about 5 years ago when I went digital. Still love the ME Super though, its such a great design and size. In a small burst of camera buying madness I aquired an ME and M50 f1.4 last month. Have fun with your new camera
04-25-2009, 07:22 PM   #12
Site Supporter

The exact, identical thing has happened to me on the bodies I've acquired recently. It seems the batteries go differently in some.

But hey, a little embarrassment is nothing compared to a dead light meter. You are off and running and have a fun film body to play with!
04-25-2009, 07:32 PM   #13

Original Poster
Thanks guys, I can't wait to start!
04-25-2009, 10:48 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I did, but I didn't see anything about what direction to put the batteries in.
Page 7, just like the table of contents and the quick guide on page 2 say.

04-28-2009, 08:19 PM   #15
Forum Member

Hi - sometimes it helps to clean up the contacts as well. I use a pencil eraser followed by rubbing alcohol, but I am not sure if that is the correct method.