Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2009, 04:04 PM   #1

Super ME Shutter problem

I have a Super ME that the shutter only functions about 1 out of 50 times, even on 125. Batteries are new. Any hints or ideas?

04-28-2009, 08:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Yeah, I had the same problem with mine. It turns out in my case that one of the rubber bumpers inside the camera had turned into goo. Basically gumming up the release mechanics of the shutter. I cracked the camera open and cleaned out the goo and have not had any problems with it since. Here is a link to a site with some good information on how the release mechanism works. And below is a picture with a little green arrow pointing to the problem area in my camera.

Or you could send it out for repair of course. I would think it would be a fairly simple repair for a good technician.
04-29-2009, 04:59 AM   #3

Original Poster
Super ME

I dont see the bumpers in the picture. How far did you have to take the came down to and did you replce the bumpers.
04-29-2009, 09:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You can't see the bumper in the picture. It's under the screw head that the green arrow is pointed at. It's been a few years since I did the repair, but I think I just found some tubing that was a close fit and trimmed it to size. I removed the mirror box from the camera to do this, which is pretty much a complete tear down of the camera.

If you are interested, here is a link to the ME Super service manual. In the exploded view section towards the bottom, the part I'm talking about is "B52".

Now that I think about it, maybe I did just clean up the goo around the original rubber piece and reuse it. At first I wasn't sure if it was just old grease or decomposed rubber, whatever it was things were really gummed up and slowed the movement of the arm enough that the shutter would not cock reliably. But the film advanced just fine!

04-30-2009, 05:32 AM   #5

Original Poster
I noticed that the film advance keeps advancing, does not lock...well at least not all the time. When it does I can shoot. Where is the device that keeps you from advancing it again? That seem to be the problem
04-30-2009, 08:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Yes, this is exactly what my camera did. The film would keep advancing with out cocking the shutter. When it finally did catch, the film would stop advancing, the shutter was cocked and would fire just fine. I would get maybe 4-5 shots on a roll of film. In this link it describes the camera mechanisms like dominoes that are lined up. They all have to fall at the right time for the system to work. I would say one of the dominoes is not falling, or more specifically not getting set up right in the first place. The film wind lock is not engaging because the shutter is not cocked.