Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-13-2010, 05:18 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks Chris! I did read the manual, but thought I had to be missing something. In Program AE mode, you have no idea what aperture the camera is using? Odd.

08-13-2010, 08:48 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
Thanks Chris! I did read the manual, but thought I had to be missing something. In Program AE mode, you have no idea what aperture the camera is using? Odd.
Not such an unusual compromise for the era. Av is easy enough to use...and in other regards, I prefer the LED-illuminated 'match needle' shutter speed readout in the viewfinder to the Super Program LCDs or the ME/LX-style LED-alongside the speed number printed on the screen. I have considered the lack of viewfinder info when shooting manual or Av on a Super Program even more annoying since they actually have an LCD for it.
08-13-2010, 08:52 AM   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The P30T was my first K-mount camera (I was a Spotmatic user before). I see some similar comments to my main complaints; no way to push or pull film, no motor drive (I started using remote motor drives for certain kind of wildlife shots), no TTL flash (programmed flash or manual only). My next camera , the Super Program, corrected for all of this.

What I liked about it, the diagonal focus aid (I think it was horizontal in the P30N), very light, but what I liked BEST about the camera was the excellent preview knob, one of the simplest, yet nicest I've seen on any camera.
10-20-2010, 07:11 AM   #79

Dead P3n

I bought a P3n a month or so ago, loved the feel of the camera, shot a couple of rolls with it, very satisfactory, but when I tried loading the third roll, nothing happened. The film advance lever wouldn't catch, pushing the shutter release button had no effect, and no lights in the viewfinder appeared. I remembered leaving the camera on accidentally--maybe overnight--and so I thought the batteries were dead and replaced them. No change, same sorry situation, film wouldn't load, shutter wouldn't work, no lights in the viewfinder, no tension in the film advance lever.

It occurs to me that when I unloaded the last roll of film I must have jammed something somewhere. Or is there some simple step I can take to get the camera working again?

10-20-2010, 03:30 PM   #80

My P30 is all metal (certainly no plastic on mine - is it an early one?), solid, reliable and compliments my ME and ME Super very well. I have no complaints. They each offer me something fun and different to the others.

When I'm feeling lazy I can shoot with my P30 with Vivitar 28-210 A lens and still get really satisfying results.

What's to complain about? These cameras are cheap enough now to enjoy the features of any combination you choose.
10-20-2010, 04:07 PM   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Without power, transport (film advance) will not function if shutter is already charged ("cocked").
Check the batteries and contacts.

Chris
10-20-2010, 04:32 PM   #82

In particular, check if you've got the batteries in upside down--very easy to do, and when the batteries are upside down in a camera it may as well not have batteries in; the effect is the same.

10-20-2010, 05:08 PM   #83

Batteries are in right, according to the manual, with the positive side up, and they are fresh. The contacts look clean and shiny, no corrosion. Shouldn't the viewfinder information light up when the camera is turned on and the shutter is depressed halfway, even if the camera has no film loaded?
10-20-2010, 10:33 PM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fiddling Bob Quote
Batteries are in right, according to the manual, with the positive side up, and they are fresh. The contacts look clean and shiny, no corrosion. Shouldn't the viewfinder information light up when the camera is turned on and the shutter is depressed halfway, even if the camera has no film loaded?
I'm not sure what you mean by up, but the batteries go in with the positive side facing the battery door.
10-21-2010, 08:49 AM   #85
Pentaxian

My dad gave me a P3n that he picked up for a few pennies. Nice camera! Love that it has AE-L. That elevates this camera to being a really usable body.

I never cottoned on to the push-buttons and LCDs of the Program Plus, or the ME Supers. Those cameras felt good in the hand but I found them tough to use in the "heat of battle." Hence, they left my stable, and I opted for the MX. The P3n is a perfect manual focus Program/AE option for use alongside the old MX.

I added the lowly P3n to my sig. But I'm still waiting for someone to make a "Proud Owner" tag!
10-21-2010, 09:10 AM   #86

Yes, that's the way I put the batteries in, with the positive side facing the door. I'm beginning to think that the camera is dead. Sad, because I did like shooting with it and I like the feel of it in my hands.
10-21-2010, 06:43 PM   #87
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sounds like you may have to take the bottom cover off and manually release the shutter. I had to do that when attempting to get a "dead" P3 working. Interesting thing about the P3 the batteries are inserted with the pos side toward the camera body rather than the cover. Good Luck. Let us know what you find out. If I didn't say so before. Welcome to the forum!
10-21-2010, 07:55 PM   #88
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
P3 Self Timer Instruction

While reading the P3 manual page 33 - the caution note states that one should use the viewfinder cover to keep extraneous light out or risk affecting exposure using the 12 sec. self timer.

How many of you have a viewfinder cover? Have your ever used it as suggested on a Pentax or any other SLR?
10-22-2010, 01:25 AM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fiddling Bob Quote
Yes, that's the way I put the batteries in, with the positive side facing the door. I'm beginning to think that the camera is dead. Sad, because I did like shooting with it and I like the feel of it in my hands.
That's a bummer, but on the plus side you can pick up another one from eBay for roughly $25.
10-22-2010, 01:29 AM   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
My dad gave me a P3n that he picked up for a few pennies. Nice camera! Love that it has AE-L. That elevates this camera to being a really usable body.

I never cottoned on to the push-buttons and LCDs of the Program Plus, or the ME Supers. Those cameras felt good in the hand but I found them tough to use in the "heat of battle." Hence, they left my stable, and I opted for the MX. The P3n is a perfect manual focus Program/AE option for use alongside the old MX.

I added the lowly P3n to my sig. But I'm still waiting for someone to make a "Proud Owner" tag!
I agree! one of the cool things about the P3/30/n/t () is how you can roll the shutter speed dial in almost the same way you would roll the control wheel on the front of a K10/20. The layout of the camera is such that you only need to pull it from your eye to wind the film, and if you use your right eye you might not even need to do that.