Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2010, 09:35 PM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thats kinda what Im drivin at, ML.
Dont have a P5, the only example I can draw on are those pentax service manuals
floating around on web, ME super shows good exploded view that gives idea
of whats going on there.
Going up to and including ist*, has there ever been any issues with high trgr vtg
with any pentax film SLR?

12-09-2010, 06:33 AM   #107
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The P5 does have the same srcrew in battery holder as just about all the M series cameras I've owned or held. It has a nifty little top LCD screen that its predecessors did not, and seems to have a few more electronic features. My guess is that none of these little circuits would react well to 300v if it ever actually got to the chip. (having grabbed the shoe a few times, I don't react well to it either) I don't know at what point the mechanical isolation was removed.

Having used the P5 for a week, my biggest gripe with this camera (line of cameras?) is its behavior with a lens on the "A" setting. Unlike the SuperProgram, I see no way to control the aperture even indirectly with a lens that can't be moved from the A setting. This significantly limits the camera's original appeal to me as a backup or complement to a DSLR. Does the P3 allow one to set the aperture or use shutter priority automation with a lens on the A setting? I've browsed the manuals for all the P series and find nothing helpful on this important issue.

Last edited by GeneV; 12-09-2010 at 06:43 AM.
12-09-2010, 10:30 AM   #108
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Does the P3 allow one to set the aperture or use shutter priority automation with a lens on the A setting?
P3n,no. P5 very limited

What Ive seen with my P3n is when mode dial is on (A)uto, apeture ring on its own "A" index
If enough light impinges meter that exceeds max shutter speed of 1/1000 camera appears to stop
down, thats what I seen with flashlight, its quite arbitrary, without reference, its almost
impossible to know what apeture camera is stopped down to. (without proper test-bench its
diificult to determine if anything happens really)
As far getting to open up, never been able to. Even with lens cap on and viewfinder black'd out
camera still stops down to what looks like (around F5.6) , rather than open up, that has me mystifyed also.
can see were that could be a problem.
P5 has 2 additional settings, believe 'sports' and 'scene'. Is it fair to assume that 'sports' opens
to minimum apeture, and 'scene' closes down. Beyond that, know very little about that model
and agree that it would limit capabilities.

When I bought my P3n, was on a line job up in Michigan's U.P., temps at night were averaging
-17 to -22 (F) , even with the older A76 series alkaline batts, that thing still worked.
Thats what I like about that body, its very robust, and in that particular enviroment were
mittens are requisite, it was and is a good choice for myself.
12-09-2010, 12:10 PM   #109
Site Supporter

From what I can tell, the aperture will be smaller on the P-depth than the P-sports, but what the actual aperture is for a given shot cannot be determined on the P5. I think the only way I can set an aperture on the P5 with the lens set to "A" is on the flash.

This aperture issue may be why there is less love for the P series with folks who may want to use their DA lenses.

12-11-2010, 04:12 PM   #110

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Please continue criticisms about the P30t

I've read all comments about lack of manual ISO and EV comp... then I decided to buy one anyway because:
  • I never push or pull film. I don't even develop it myself since about 30 years :ugh: though that might change sooner or later. Maybe when I'm retiring if there's still B/W film and chemistry available
  • It has AE lock which is missing on many other bodies and good enough if not better than exposure comp.
  • When I use exposure comp I'm always risking to leave it on for the rest of the roll
  • It has a real shutter speed dial unlike the ME Super et al. Those who tried using manual mode on ME Super will understand why that's important
  • It has DOF preview which I consider important and is quite rare on Pentax bodies
  • It provides full compatibility with all K, KA, KAF lenses. Program mode available with KA and later. Aperture priority otherwise. Try that with an M-series body ? Or try a Pentax-M on the digital bodies ?
  • All this plastic makes for a very lightweight body.
  • It might be less robust than full metal bodies but I tend to use a hammer when I need to drive nails.
  • Thanks to all the badmouthing I was able buy one for less than the cost of one roll of film
12-12-2010, 07:56 AM   #111
Site Supporter

I don't think this thread made the P3 any cheaper. There were more nice things said about it than not.

I will say that the P5 is the cheapest I've ever paid for a fully functional SLR with a pristine appearnce.
12-12-2010, 08:03 AM   #112
Site Supporter

NEd is your friend!

Chris
12-12-2010, 10:11 AM   #113
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
NEd is your friend!

Chris

(P3n upside down)

Steve

12-12-2010, 11:55 AM   #114
Site Supporter

Pentax NEd

The model name appears on the top deck, near the shutter speed dial.
IIRC long ago there was a post here from a user who, reading it from
the front (upside down) mistakenly assumed this model was called NEd...

Chris
12-12-2010, 01:20 PM   #115

There's also an auction for the Pentax OEd which seems to be an upside down P30n or something
12-12-2010, 02:56 PM   #116
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Luc More Quote
There's also an auction for the Pentax OEd which seems to be an upside down P30n or something
Forget the former pro's rare Pentax OEd! I want the Vivitar Series 1 Hoya 87mm PL.

Steve
12-13-2010, 09:21 AM   #117
Veteran Member

In regards to Luc's review of P3, Id like to add one thing...
Its not bragging if its true.

nEd is my friend, but have to admit relationship with Artic weight carhartt coveralls
much more 'cozy' after yesterday.
Trumpeter swan numbers are increasing day by day here as areas north, where they summer, freeze over.
With nEd(P3n) and A400/5.6, portra 400vc (Riverlands Migratory Bird Refuge, Alton,Ill.)
Attached Images

Last edited by BillM; 12-13-2010 at 05:13 PM.
01-08-2011, 11:23 AM   #118
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
From what I can tell, the aperture will be smaller on the P-depth than the P-sports, but what the actual aperture is for a given shot cannot be determined on the P5. I think the only way I can set an aperture on the P5 with the lens set to "A" is on the flash..
In this regard, no different than P3 except P3 has only one program, I believe it's similar to the faster P5 program. Not sure what you mean by setting aperture on the flash, other than a 'ready' dedicated flash might force an 'A' lens to a particular aperture like f/4 or f/5.6 and 1/100. Any idea if arbitrary aperture setting on flash like AF360FGZ on auto mode gets transmitted to camera body? I didn't think so.
01-14-2011, 09:50 AM   #119
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
In this regard, no different than P3 except P3 has only one program, I believe it's similar to the faster P5 program. Not sure what you mean by setting aperture on the flash, other than a 'ready' dedicated flash might force an 'A' lens to a particular aperture like f/4 or f/5.6 and 1/100. Any idea if arbitrary aperture setting on flash like AF360FGZ on auto mode gets transmitted to camera body? I didn't think so.
My understanding (from page 29 of the AF540FGZ manual as well as other sources) is that on the P series, the camera syncs to the aperture set on the flash if the lens is on the "A" setting and the flash is on "auto." It is the only way to directly set the aperture when using "A" setting on a lens. Otherwise, you just get what the program prescribes.