Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2009, 07:09 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why No Love for the Pentax P3N?

Some years ago I got a P3N. As fate would have it, I never used it much--family photography with P&S film cameras intervened, then digital P&S, then the K10D and K20D.

Getting back into film, I dug up K1000, and exhumed other great old bodies like the ME Super and Super Program, even a KX.

These bodies all have their fans, but I see no love for the P3N.

Is the P3N really such a bad camera?

04-25-2009, 07:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

i won't touch one cuz of the 1/1000 shutter and no EV compensation and i believe no ISO setting.
the me super is (probably) better built and has a better viewfinder.

Last edited by k100d; 04-25-2009 at 08:37 PM.
04-25-2009, 07:53 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lawsonstone Quote
These bodies all have their fans, but I see no love for the P3N. Is the P3N really such a bad camera?
No, it's not "such a bad camera".

However, in general, the P bodies that followed the A bodies were more "plasticky" and typically had fewer features, so that makes them perhaps a little less desirable - IMHO, after the Super Program/A, every other body (even including the otherwise very capable Program Plus/A) were "downhill' until the first Pentax autofocus bodies came out.

But, no, it's not "such a bad camera".
04-25-2009, 09:08 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

These modest looking cameras offer a lot of useful features for the money.
I liked my wife's P3n so much I bought the very similar P30T.

Chris

04-26-2009, 04:39 AM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I have all the P family of cameras. They do seem to have taken a step back from earlier A bodies, but I still lke them. I especially like the P3n; easy to use.
04-26-2009, 04:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I have the P3n and P30t but I rarely use them. My other film bodies are far more entertaining. What I don't like about these bodies is the plastic body, pretty ugly shutter sound, no iso setting, no ev compensation. I've had film in my P30t for about 8 months now, I think. It just never leaves the house with me.
04-26-2009, 05:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I have a P-30T. It's pretty much prefect for me at the moment, except that you can't set film speed, so no pushing/pulling film. I just find it very comfortable to use, love the shutter noise, etc. It is quite ugly due to the plastic, but that doesn't effect the photos. EV ocmpensation can be done manually, has A setting for when I feel lazy.

I'm looking for a MX, and keep the P-30T as a backup.

04-26-2009, 12:21 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

These bodies do offer AE memory lock, a feature uncommon among Pentax manual focus AE bodies (even the LX !).
In most cases AE memory lock is an effective and far more convenient substitute for an exposure compensation dial.

In addition the P-series bodies have DOF preview, IMO an essential feature, absent on the ME, ME Super, etc.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 04-26-2009 at 12:48 PM.
04-26-2009, 12:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
These bodies do offer AE memory lock, a feature uncommon among Pentax manual focus AE bodies (even the LX !).
In most cases AE memory lock is an effective and far more convenient substitute for an exposure compensation dial.

Chris
I really agree. (though that won't help ISO issues if you have DX-only and no compensation dial) Though I don't even *use* auto exposure with film, unless a) I've already metered over the area and know I agree with the meter everywhere I might point, and b) have some reason to worry I might be distracted, or if I'm doing sports or something and don't want to have to turn the aperture ring over and over. If you've got perfectly good dials and rings, you may as well use them.

Consequently, compensation dials don't see much use with me. I use em so rarely I'd be liable to forget I set them, anyway and run around underexposing the rest of the roll or something. Sometimes it goes nice with the digital, but I work a rather differently with the computerey interface: the automation's mostly another way to tell the camera what to do.
04-27-2009, 10:46 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pasipasi Quote
What I don't like about these bodies is the plastic body, pretty ugly shutter sound, no iso setting, no ev compensation.
i have P5 camera, and i like it really much.
true, P5's shutter sounds ugly, and it doesn't have adjustable ISO setting. but on the other side, P5 have EV compensation and it's body is fully metal. also, since it has small front-side grip, it handles much better with longer lenses than my MX.

P-series cameras aren't that bad, especially so if you have P5.
04-27-2009, 11:35 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The P3 and P3n have more metal than the P30t, and a more substantial feel. I know my P3n has been extremely durable and not babied. I've seen a lot of broken top hardware on M-series cameras, especially rewind cranks. The P3 design makes that nearly impossible. It also has a grip design that I sorely miss on the MX. I always think I am going to drop the MX.

My P3n's mirror seal is in great shape, possibly a better-aging material? They don't have door seals. The shutter speed dial markings are not engraved, and mine are wearing out. Batteries last a long time because of the power switch. I have to "exercise" my camera a bit with some dry-firing now to make sure it works. If it sits for a while, I have to wind the film several frames before the shutter re-cocks. It works fine with regular use. My camera has never been serviced in any way since new.

I can't be totally objective about it because it was my first/only film camera. Today, if you feel like you need a particular feature or feel on a film camera, just buy something that's exactly right. A basic camera will lose out when there's no price penalty to add features. I think the P3n is an excellent basic camera with a lot of excellent competition.
04-27-2009, 04:40 PM   #12
Veteran Member

My first SLR was a P3n, so my responses are somewhat biased.

With that out of the way, I think the P3n is a great camera. I am soooo tired of people saying the k1000 is the best camera for students, especially today. I see k1000's that I wouldn't trust with a roll of film I found in a trash can sell for $200. Then I see a P3n that looks like it's never been out of it's box sell for $10. Please tell me, Other than the lack of override of the DX coding, what can a k1000 do that a P3/P3n/P30t cannot?

The P3n, on the other hand, has a DOF preview lever, auto exposure and AP mode, AND will set the film speed every time. I know I've forgotten more than once to do that. The P3 series is also much smaller, MUCH lighter and has a built in grip.

I had a *MINT* k1000 SE and I would have traded it for a P3n in a heartbeat.
05-01-2009, 07:30 AM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote

With that out of the way, I think the P3n is a great camera. I am soooo tired of people saying the k1000 is the best camera for students, especially today. I see k1000's that I wouldn't trust with a roll of film I found in a trash can sell for $200. Then I see a P3n that looks like it's never been out of it's box sell for $10. Please tell me, Other than the lack of override of the DX coding, what can a k1000 do that a P3/P3n/P30t cannot?

The P3n, on the other hand, has a DOF preview lever, auto exposure and AP mode, AND will set the film speed every time. I know I've forgotten more than once to do that. The P3 series is also much smaller, MUCH lighter and has a built in grip.

I had a *MINT* k1000 SE and I would have traded it for a P3n in a heartbeat.
Interesting point. Sometimes some collectables become facmous or their vlaue artificially rises for no concrete reason. The K1000 is a good example. It's a fine camera, but there are many other cameras both Pentax and non-Pentax makes that offer more features but aren't worth anything near what K1000s go for. The KM is not worth as much as a K1000 but it offers DOF and a self timer.
05-05-2009, 04:53 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

IMO the P-series bodies feel far more solid and precise than any of the the Pentax AF "plastic" cameras.

Chris
01-23-2010, 05:52 AM   #15

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote

+1 Also, my first. I still own this camera, bought it new when I was 14. These days my go-to is the PZ-1, but it still sees some use as its smaller, lighter, and fully capable. I do my exposure compensation the old fashioned way...the shutter speed/aperture. IMHO this is the best student camera because it also has autoexposure modes for snapshots when you desire.