Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2009, 02:49 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think it is funny that rangefinder is so much bigger than an SLR.

04-27-2009, 03:02 AM   #17
Veteran Member

If the Lynx is in good working order it too is worth the full price of the purchase all by itself.

@Ryan: I believe the only way to tell the difference between the GS and the GSN is to take a look at the top of the camera and see if you have a cold shoe (GS) or a hot shoe (GSN).
04-27-2009, 03:11 AM   #18
Veteran Member

That Lynx is the most interesting bit, for me at least, that should be a fun camera to shoot with. And yeah, the Yashica range finders are bigger than SLRs.
04-27-2009, 10:34 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
If the Lynx is in good working order it too is worth the full price of the purchase all by itself.

@Ryan: I believe the only way to tell the difference between the GS and the GSN is to take a look at the top of the camera and see if you have a cold shoe (GS) or a hot shoe (GSN).
The Electros should be taken apart, no matter what label they have! Cleaning the glass inside the RF window(s) makes such a difference.

As I was looking at the small pic posted originally...I was thinking Electro 35 since they're common. The lens and top housing looked funny...cause it's a Lynx

Waiting on my battery adapters to arrive so I can take my GSN out

Edit: JUST got the adapters!!!!

04-27-2009, 10:43 AM   #20
Pentaxian

lovely deal.

can we see the pic of the key ?

04-27-2009, 10:44 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Could it be to a 1978 Scricco? (Family Guy reference)
04-27-2009, 11:03 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by geauxpez Quote
I think it is funny that rangefinder is so much bigger than an SLR.
Well, here you have one of the smallest old-school 35mm SLRs, and quite possibly *the* biggest fixed-lens 35mm rangefinder A 1.4 in general, only gets so small.

These fixed lens rangefinders come from a time when SLR's of the time were quite large, themselves, expensive, and rather complicated for a lot of people to operate. Preset apertures, TTL metering was not there yet, ..forget about any real exposure automation, shutter performance was limited, anyway: ...there was room for big old guys like these... and there were a *lot* of rangefinder holdouts.

I'd say, Tim, give that Yashica a try yourself before you go selling it.
04-27-2009, 02:15 PM   #23

Original Poster
The Key

QuoteOriginally posted by fearview Quote
lovely deal.

can we see the pic of the key ?

Sure, why not?

Maybe someone can tell me which locker full of legendary Pentax lenses it opens.

Here it is, still pinned to the inside of the camera bag:

04-28-2009, 07:24 PM   #24

Original Poster
Slippery slope

So I bought a roll of film today! I haven't put a roll of film in a camera in at least twenty years. I really want to try out one of these two cameras. The way each one looks and feels is really appealing; I want to play with them!

I also ordered a body cap and some 675 hearing aid batteries for the MX. If its meter works, maybe I'll put the roll of film in that camera. I'm also seriously considering buying a light seal kit to fix up both cameras. Here I thought the $80 was the end of the investment, but this is turning out to be a very slippery slope!
04-29-2009, 12:01 AM   #25
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Timarete Quote
OK, I got the whole lot for $80 (he was very flexible), and here's what it all is:

Lenses:

Vivitar Series 1 90mm f/2.5 Macro lens for Pentax w/Kalt UV filter

Vivitar Series 1 90mm f/2.5 Macro adapter lens (has a tripod mount--what does this thing do?)

Pentax M 50mm f/1.7 lens

Tamron MC Tele Converter 2X for Pentax

Minolta 135mm f/2.8 lens

Lentar 90-230mm f/4.5 lens, M42(?) w/Minolta mount screwed onto it and w/Hoya UV filter

Pentavision Super Wide AF Macro 0.42X lens (not pictured below)

Cameras:

Pentax MX camera

Yashica Lynx-14 with 45mm f/1.4 lens

Flashes:

Vivitar Thyristor 265

Vivitar Wide Angle Attachment V-265

Sunset TR-100

Extras:

PC cable

A whole bunch of lens cases

Old padded camera bag

A bunch of random front and end caps

Some Minolta manuals

Two camera straps

An old key
F*** me drunk! As a fellow bargain hunter, I am impressed.

Jeez, judging by your luck, that key'll open an abandoned warehouse that full of Pentax LXs and f1.2 50s.
04-29-2009, 12:52 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Jeez, judging by your luck, that key'll open an abandoned warehouse that full of Pentax LXs and f1.2 50s.
Or a couple of 67s with the full medium format lineup. I'd really like that.
04-29-2009, 12:54 AM   #27
Veteran Member

That was quite a find. Congratulations and enjoy!
04-29-2009, 01:50 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Hearing aid batteries? WHY?
The MX was designed to work with LR44 batteries (word fo advise, always keep an extra set

A seal replacement kit from Jon Goodman will cost you $10 and will last for many cameras
04-29-2009, 09:28 AM   #29

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
Hearing aid batteries? WHY?
The MX was designed to work with LR44 batteries (word fo advise, always keep an extra set
Uh oh. Did I order the wrong thing? The old, dead batteries in the MX have "675" imprinted on them, so I ordered batteries with that number. I'll know soon enough, I guess.

I probably will order the light seal kit. That way I can fix up both the Lynx and the MX. Should be a fun little project.
04-29-2009, 11:17 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Timarete Quote
Uh oh. Did I order the wrong thing? The old, dead batteries in the MX have "675" imprinted on them, so I ordered batteries with that number. I'll know soon enough, I guess.

I probably will order the light seal kit. That way I can fix up both the Lynx and the MX. Should be a fun little project.
Hrm, no, there's no need to use hearing aid batteries in there: what was in that MX may be an older designation, ....if I recall from retail days long ago, you want SR or LR 44's or PS 76. Or possibly someone was just improvising with what was to hand for whatever reason. You may as well get the proper thing. I'm pretty sure those hearing aid batteries are a type that's of use in conversions for other cameras, though.

(Oh, and they might also do fine to tell you whether or not that meter is alive: I don't know on this. )