Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2009, 04:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Interesting Grip

I thought that this grip looked interesting for the small film bodies (though I prefer to keep mine compact and gripless) but the price seems a little steep. Right at $100 once you add in the shipping.

04-28-2009, 04:44 PM   #2
Inactive Account

A local shop has the Motor Drive "A" http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/misc/winders/mdA.jpg but, they want $169. That's more than my Super Program cost

Like geauxpez I prefer the lower profile or in my case the built-in grip the Super Program has.
04-28-2009, 04:57 PM   #3
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
$100 is ridiculous for that.
04-28-2009, 05:22 PM   #4
Forum Member

Wow thats pretty cool although a bit expensive. Reds a bit bright. I have been thinking about making something like this for a while now. I was thinking about an aluminium base plate and wooded grip. As I figured wood would be easy to shape to get a nice hand grip. May be able to get some design ideas from this. Thanks for posting.

04-28-2009, 06:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

That looks exactly like what i would like but maybe if it was $70 Canadian shipped or something around that figure I would likely get two but not in red maybe in yellow or lime green Or of course if the LX or the MX was included...
As is it is US 90 > CAD 115. I will follow this on eBay see if they sell.

cheers,

Luc
04-28-2009, 06:17 PM   #6
Inactive Account

If I was still in a metal fabricating shop I'd get 1"x1/4" aluminum flatbar and some aluminum 1" round stock. Weld the round stock to the flatbar and shape as needed. Drill and recess a hole for the bolt to mount it to the body's tripod mount. Very easy and light weight grip.
04-28-2009, 06:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ajuett Quote
A local shop has the Motor Drive "A" http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/misc/winders/mdA.jpg but, they want $169. That's more than my Super Program cost

Like geauxpez I prefer the lower profile or in my case the built-in grip the Super Program has.
Yeah -- if I wanted a grip, I could leave the batteries out of my Winder MEII. I don't use it, so I'm about to sell it off for peanuts. That gives the shooter the option of using it as a grip OR as a motor drive -- why buy the overpriced aluminum thingy?
04-28-2009, 06:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The design looks to be pretty well thought out. I couldn't see buying one, but building a grip might make for an interesting project for my KX the next time I have access to machine tools.

04-28-2009, 06:58 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I picked up a Motor Drive A from KEH for $65. It's a tad heavy with the 8 AA batteries in it, but I do love having the portrait shutter release.

Last edited by Venturi; 05-07-2011 at 11:08 PM.
04-28-2009, 07:58 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I found using a motor drive without the batteries in a MEsuper to not really work that well.

Sure it gives a good grip to the camera, but I find it makes access to the shutter and the control buttons awkward.

I think these guys have a well thought out design here. I would expect that if I drew up my own design, and had a local fab shop CNC it for me, post finish, test fit, adjust, anodized, and find the fasteners, it would cost me well over $150 bucks. Not to mention the set-up fee from the CNC shop for a one-off job. CNC shops make their cash by cutting multiples.
04-29-2009, 12:14 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Not only are they for PANTAX cameras "for a best feeling of grip" but they hired Ikea for the name...HORUSBENNU

Uhhh what?

If only they were cheaper...I'd order 2...
04-29-2009, 05:12 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ajuett Quote

Well, you can use the Super Program grip on a ME/ME Super camera, probably MX too, and it's definitely cheaper than buying the Korea one:

04-29-2009, 08:43 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Well, that looks OK. Nice compromise, I think, if it's worth the money to you: I wouldn't mind a bit of extra ballast without making the camera too big. (They ought to put grooves in to receive an Arca plate, while they're at it, I think. )

I'm probably just going to get the winder for my ME Super, next time it's convenient. Makes a nice size combo for me, and I like winders.

And, I think those motor drive A's are so expensive cause there weren't an awful lot of them sold. Canon's equivalent for the A series took a truly ridiculous 12 AA's, but there was a NiCd pack that was a lot more reasonable.
04-30-2009, 05:34 PM   #14
Pentaxian

The MX is too small for big hands. Using the Winder MX adds too much weight.
This looks like it might be just the ticket. I'll let you all know when it arrives...

Chris
04-30-2009, 05:49 PM   #15
Site Supporter

I just acquired a ME that was attached to a lens I wanted. The lack of a grip really does make it feel small next to my Super Program, which is the same length. The CNC grip looks very cool, but the price seems too steep for what it does. I like mikengstrom's wood+aluminium idea. (Exactly when I expect to have the time to make something like that is beyond me, however.)