Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2009, 07:35 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Stuck dial on my Program Plus

I guess I deserve it, as I carry my Program Plus with me everywhere, unceremoniously dumped into my messenger bag.

But the mode dial on top has locked up. (The one that goes from Lock, to Auto, Man, X and B.) Or rather, it's VERY stiff. The locking button isn't engaged, and you can forcefully drag the knob from position to position. (When it's at Auto, the locking button does engage. You can push it down as normal, it unlocks.) It takes a lot of force to get the button to move, but it does and it still functions (the camera works.)

Any ideas? What's happened to my lovely Program Plus? It's my daily shooting companion, I'd like to nurse it back to health!

04-29-2009, 06:20 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Update -- I went to try and use my Program Plus, and the aperture ring was also locked........ I don't know if both things arise from the same (unnoticed) impact, or if there is a connection between the aperture ring and the top dial. Because, I unmounted the lens and the aperture ring worked again. Then I remounted the lens and the top dial freed up (at least 90% -- it's still a little stiff.)

Weirdness. I don't know if these two systems are connected at all?
04-29-2009, 08:38 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
Update -- I went to try and use my Program Plus, and the aperture ring was also locked........ I don't know if both things arise from the same (unnoticed) impact, or if there is a connection between the aperture ring and the top dial. Because, I unmounted the lens and the aperture ring worked again. Then I remounted the lens and the top dial freed up (at least 90% -- it's still a little stiff.)

Weirdness. I don't know if these two systems are connected at all?
I didn't think mechanically, ...I suppose it's possible that if the aperture linkage was jammed, it might not want to come out of Auto for some indirect reason?
03-14-2011, 12:39 AM   #4

The program selector dial moves in little clicks between the MAN, Flash Synchronization and B settings. It locks in AUTO and LOCK. If you force it in AUTO and LOCK it will get difficult to rotate through the full range of programs. Regarding the aperture issue, you can exercise the depth of field preview lever to restore mechanical function, but you may be stuck with a problem with the program selector dial for eternity, unless the problem self corrects through proper use. coastx/14 March 2011

03-14-2011, 05:44 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The program selector around the shutter button is known for sticking. There is a locking mechanism that fails to fully disengage. I have one SuperProgram body that is almost perfect--except for that dial. I managed to get it to the manual position and use it that way. Someday, I will send it off to Eric.