Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2009, 05:22 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Sf-1 or PZ-1

I am considering purchasing an older Pentax autofocus camera. I have an opportunity to purchase one of these two. I have the specs but I was hoping some of you could give me your opinions on the usability and reliability of each. I know they are older, especially the sf-1 and those were made from 1987 up to 1989 I believe. In addition to the reliability, is the aufocusing mechanism slower on the sf-1? Both about the same? Thanks in advance.

05-01-2009, 05:46 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SF-1 AF is slower than the PZ-1 which came out in 1992. I have the PZ-20 and recently bought the PZ-1SE from a friend. Love the speed of the AF and the features are even better than the SF-1.

I say go for the PZ-1
05-01-2009, 08:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

the PZ-1 is quite the beast however, you should check it out if you like it.
and it also eats batteries alive.
05-04-2009, 10:57 AM   #4

The SF series, I think, is one of the most underappreciated members of the Pentax line, especially the top of hte line SF-1N. Yes, the AF is the slowest of them all, but it's accurate and it works. It's easy on the battery too, especially if you go easy on the built-in flash.

It's a quality piece--about as capable as the PZ-1 but at about half the price. Try one--they're cheap enough that it doesnt really hurt to.

05-05-2009, 04:13 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I have the SF-Xn which is the same I think as the SF-1n. The combination of autofocus noise, mirror slap noise and motor drive noise is the archetypical noise we think of when we think of SLR Camera noise - should be patented just like the exhaust note from the Harley Davidson Motorcycle - It just sounds right! 1.8 frames per second according to wikipedia. Pentax SFX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
05-06-2009, 07:48 AM   #6
Forum Member

I would say z-1, film advance sounds better, and it can take da40 but sf series built better though
05-16-2009, 11:06 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
SF-1n

Well, I just bought this camera of Ebay. Seller states everything is is in real good working order, but we'll see. Can't wait to get it to try the thng out.

06-22-2009, 09:36 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So How is the SF-1N?
06-22-2009, 09:59 AM   #9
Inactive Account

I have SF-1's and I like them but favor my ZX-5 in large part because I like spot meter. The SF-1 does have a much better viewfinder. One of the best. The PZ-1...I have not had and the price runs a lot higher than the SF-1 or ZX-5,however it has the best of both...almost. I do like the retro shutter speed dial on the ZX-5.
06-22-2009, 10:05 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the SF-1 had the reputation of being the first decent pentax AF, but PZ1 is much more advanced, can use FA-J lenses, (crippled K mount)

has many great program functions, a 1/8000 shutter with 1/250 flash sync, 3.5 FPS (PZ-1p is 4.5-5 fps)

it is essentually a DSLR for film, It is so similar to my DSLRs that I cnntinually find myself looking at the back for the photo review