Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2009, 03:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Anything about ZX-M

Yo, I find myself in possession of a working ZX-M (which I regretfully haven't used yet). Real Soon Now, I'll plug in a 135 cart and try it with my FF 16 & 21 & 24mm lenses, go for that wide view. But I do a search of PentaxForums and get exactly zero hits on ZX or ZX-M. Is it beneath contempt, unworthy of discussion? Are there no Proud ZX-M Owners here?

05-02-2009, 03:40 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Yo, I find myself in possession of a working ZX-M (which I regretfully haven't used yet). Real Soon Now, I'll plug in a 135 cart and try it with my FF 16 & 21 & 24mm lenses, go for that wide view. But I do a search of PentaxForums and get exactly zero hits on ZX or ZX-M. Is it beneath contempt, unworthy of discussion? Are there no Proud ZX-M Owners here?
I own one and quite like it. Get the grip, but no need to pay more than 19.00 or so for it.

There are others here who have one of these. Read this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/53976-anybody-...-use-zx-m.html

woof
05-02-2009, 04:10 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You get zero hits because the forums search function cannot find anything under four characters.
This is one of my pet peeves as many Pentax camera model designations are under four characters.

Chris
05-02-2009, 10:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
I own one and quite like it. Get the grip, but no need to pay more than 19.00 or so for it.

There are others here who have one of these. Read this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/53976-anybody-...-use-zx-m.html
I scan the manual and the only mention of 'grip' I see relates to a grip-mounted AF400T flash (ACCESSORIES). I have a couple generic grips buried somewhere in my gear pile - guess I'll dig one out, see how it feels. And thanks mightily for the thread url! Now I won't feel so all alone.

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
You get zero hits because the forums search function cannot find anything under four characters.
This is one of my pet peeves as many Pentax camera model designations are under four characters.
Ah. This should be mentioned to the powers-that-be. Or maybe if I expand the search term to PENTAX ZX-M... nope, that doesn't do it. I hate systems that can't be gamed.

05-02-2009, 01:29 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I scan the manual and the only mention of 'grip' I see relates to a grip-mounted AF400T flash (ACCESSORIES).
It's the Battery Pack FG seen here in this picture attached to the bottom of the camera. It uses AA batteries. I use rechargeable batteries. This grip makes the camera feel really solid and for someone with bigger hands the ergonomics are much better.

Very nice deal for this battery pack here:

Pentax AA Battery Pack FG Works on All ZX Cameras | Freestyle Photographic Supplies

Seaain
05-02-2009, 04:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ah, the battery pack. Even in my big paws the ZX-M seems to handle well - with the 180g SMC-A 35-80, not the 450g Tak-A 28-80M, let alone the 660g Tak-A 70-200. My only longer lens that feels comfortable is the 380g FA 100-300. The ZX-M is just so... light. I've not used a battery pack before. Does its weight successfully counterbalance a heavier lens?
05-02-2009, 06:48 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Ah, the battery pack. Even in my big paws the ZX-M seems to handle well - with the 180g SMC-A 35-80, not the 450g Tak-A 28-80M, let alone the 660g Tak-A 70-200. My only longer lens that feels comfortable is the 380g FA 100-300. The ZX-M is just so... light. I've not used a battery pack before. Does its weight successfully counterbalance a heavier lens?
Weight and leverage. Yes, it really helps. To my mind it really transforms the camera.

woof!

05-02-2009, 07:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
Weight and leverage. Yes, it really helps. To my mind it really transforms the camera.
Thanks. And the Freestyle offer looks like a real deal! The pack/grip will almost cost less than the batteries going into it.
05-03-2009, 12:20 AM   #9
F16

I have a ZX-M, it's great for smaller primes and compact zooms. I do agree that it does not handle very well with larger lenses and my large hands, that's why I ordered a battery pack a couple days ago. Switching from my Canon EOS A2e with vertical grip back to a ZX-M makes the poor balance with larger lenses that much more clear.
05-03-2009, 05:58 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The ZX-M has some nice features, but what was Pentax thinking when they gave it a plastic lens mount?
IMO this is the design's fatal flaw.

Chris
05-03-2009, 07:53 AM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
The ZX-M has some nice features, but what was Pentax thinking when they gave it a plastic lens mount?
IMO this is the design's fatal flaw.
It's "polycarbonate" and pretty tough. I have never seen any shavings, but i have seen claims about this...

I've been looking for a cheap SF-10 or similar from which to take the metal mount and replace this one.

Have not gotten around to it, but it should be feasible and cost maybe all of 20.00 shipped.

woof!
05-03-2009, 09:31 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
In my opinion, you would be better with a ZX-L and a split focus screen from a broken ZX-m (or with luck, you can even have one new from Pentax service, I've bought 3 of them this way)...

This way, you have AF if needed, TLL and P-TTL (ZX-M doesn't support TTL), and 1/4000, for about the same price...
05-04-2009, 12:32 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lack of TTL flash was a real deal-breaker for me. The ZX-M was replaced by the ZX-7, which is AF and TTL flash. Still miss shooting with the ZX-M, it was a great handling camera.

It makes me curious how the new Cosina K-mount cameras handle.
05-04-2009, 06:12 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
Lack of TTL flash was a real deal-breaker for me. The ZX-M was replaced by the ZX-7, which is AF and TTL flash. Still miss shooting with the ZX-M, it was a great handling camera.
I'll likely use the ZX-M sans flash, just straight available light - and mostly with very wide lenses, where flash would be problematic anyway. Since the cam and kit lens (A 35-80) cost me a whole US$25 including shipping etc, I figure it's no great sacrifice. If I need light, I'll fire-up a candle.
05-04-2009, 06:43 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I regret my only interest in a ZX-M is its focus screen which I would love to have for my PZ-1. It kind of feels like taking the boots from a dead soldier on the battle field to do so though.