Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2009, 08:51 AM   #1
Veteran Member

I just bought... my second analog Pentax!

I was so disappointed by my new ME not working right, and Harrow Tech being unwilling to repair it due to lack of spare parts, that I almost immediately started looking around for a newer body that would not be as likely to need CLA/repair. I initially thought of the MZ-5/ZX-5 but today I found an MZ-6 (european ZX-L) for 37 dollars in supposed "excellent" condition so I went for it. Seems to be an excellent camera! Is it correct that I get in-camera aperture control so I'll be able to use my DA40 fully? That's super awesome if true. Can't wait for this to arrive and hope I will have better luck with its function than I had with my poor old ME.

EDIT: Wow, after checking some prices on eBay I'm even happier with this. $37 is pretty good for this camera in great condition, is it not?

Last edited by Erik; 05-03-2009 at 09:51 AM.
05-03-2009, 10:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
All the MZ/ZX bodies except for the MZ-S and ZX-5(n) can control lens aperture via control dial, as far as I know, so yes. You're good on that. Enjoy your ridiculously good find.
05-03-2009, 10:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Cool, thanks! A question: how is the battery life on these cameras? Is it okay to just use some good alkalines? How many rolls would they probably be good for?
05-03-2009, 11:02 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I own a ZX-30, but I suspect is similar - unless you own or will acquire a Battery Pack Fg, you'll have to use two lithium batteries to power the camera. I can't remember the exact type. They'll hold you for about 15 rolls 36exp. film.

PS: if anybody's reading this.. can someone spare an Fg? I could really use one..

05-03-2009, 11:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh, I see, thanks. It is indeed the same as the ZX-30; I kind of misread Dimitrov's page before. I'll just get a couple of CR2's then. Hopefully there are still some with juice left in the camera
05-03-2009, 02:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
EDIT: Wow, after checking some prices on eBay I'm even happier with this. $37 is pretty good for this camera in great condition, is it not?
yes that is. the ZX-L is a really neat camera, i had a good time with it for the brief amount of time i had it, but i couldn't get over the small vf and the cheaper build.
05-03-2009, 02:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
yes that is. the ZX-L is a really neat camera, i had a good time with it for the brief amount of time i had it, but i couldn't get over the small vf and the cheaper build.
I don't have the camera in my hands yet, so I'm curious to know: is the viewfinder at least bigger than that in a K100D? (I'm too lazy to do the math, I suppose )

05-03-2009, 08:38 PM   #8
Inactive Account

I don't have the camera in my hands yet, so I'm curious to know: is the viewfinder at least bigger than that in a K100D? (I'm too lazy to do the math, I suppose )
I can't say about the K100D Super however, the MZ-5n and the Super Program have about the same VF. Looking through both you can't tell the difference.
05-03-2009, 09:02 PM   #9
Veteran Member

MZ-L have slightly smaller viewfinder than K100D + KPS magnifier but with no vignetting. It's definitely bigger than the default K100D magnifier though. I'm enjoying the results I'm getting from it. In fact I like it so much I'm getting an MZ-7 to keep it company / have two films at the ready. Still looking for that perfect MF body for my taks... My keeper rate in film is like WAY higher than digital thanks to thinking before shooting =)

It's not a body built for manual focusing since it doesnt have a split screen, so you have to either salvage a MZ-M or find a broken one somewhere.

Last edited by Andi Lo; 05-03-2009 at 09:14 PM.
05-04-2009, 01:08 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the info.

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
It's not a body built for manual focusing since it doesnt have a split screen, so you have to either salvage a MZ-M or find a broken one somewhere.
I think that will be okay since it apparently has catch-in focus/focus indication with MF lenses, which works well enough for me with my K100D so should work similarly well on the MZ-6.
05-04-2009, 07:59 AM   #11
Inactive Account

I think that will be okay since it apparently has catch-in focus/focus indication with MF lenses, which works well enough for me with my K100D so should work similarly well on the MZ-6.
If it's like the MZ-5n then it will have an audible and a visual 'catch in focus' icon in the VF.
05-04-2009, 08:13 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ajuett Quote
If it's like the MZ-5n then it will have an audible and a visual 'catch in focus' icon in the VF.
Ah yes, so exactly like my K100D then. Good to know! I can't wait til I receive this camera in the mail!

It's just amazing that a nice, full-featured autofocus camera that was pretty state-of-the-art in 2002 and was still sold as of 2005 costs $37 four years later. Film really is dead, I guess

Last edited by Erik; 05-04-2009 at 08:20 AM.
05-04-2009, 08:30 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Ah yes, so exactly like my K100D then. Good to know! I can't wait til I receive this camera in the mail!

It's just amazing that a nice, full-featured autofocus camera that was pretty state-of-the-art in 2002 and was still sold as of 2005 costs $37 four years later. Film really is dead, I guess
The K100D Super I had had the red in focus indicator in the center of the screen, my MZ-5n has a green indicator on the right side of the VF. Also, a button on the front of the body to turn off the audible option.

Film is actually growing. I've been in contact with a couple of different shops that develop film and they say business has actually increased. If so, that's great!

Just like the vinyl records are making a comeback, there are more shops around town then there use to be. I have a bunch of old vinyl, might take it in to sell it and potentially satisfy some LBA.
05-04-2009, 08:40 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The K100D Super I had had the red in focus indicator in the center of the screen, my MZ-5n has a green indicator on the right side of the VF. Also, a button on the front of the body to turn off the audible option.
Oh, right. Well, the K100D has the red indicator, but also the green "diamond" indicator at the bottom which is the real "in-focus" indicator.

Film is actually growing. I've been in contact with a couple of different shops that develop film and they say business has actually increased. If so, that's great!
Oh, I know, but I love how most of the cameras are getting to be worth nothing, though. Well, you have the "cult" cameras like Pentax LX, Leicas, Nikon F, Canonets etc. increasing in value but the plastic-fantastic fancy 90's/00's AF cameras are worth close to nothing at this point. Good for those of us who still think they're kind of neat.

When I get this camera I am hoping to use it to get into processing my own B/W, because honestly, shooting color film is just not worth it in my opinion with what it costs these days. I have been enjoying experimenting with some Ektar and Reala and whatnot but I will never go back to film for everyday color photography again. Not that I want to start a film/digital flamewar, hehe, I'm just saying what I hope to do with my new toy.
05-04-2009, 09:09 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Sounds good to me. We buy and use our camera for our own needs. All I do is shoot color and get "developed only, no prints". I'll scan them in, if they are exceptional keepers then I'll get them printed. Most just get stuck on my PBase account.