Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2009, 10:30 AM   #1
Veteran Member
Venturi's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tulsa, OK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,639
Fixing Times

If you look long or hard enough on the interwebs you'll see almost as many opinions on fixing times as there are people typing about it. And it is causing me to wonder just how crucial the timing is. Do you pay a penalty for "over fixing" your film?

I'm "fixin" to process a couple rolls of Neopan 400 today and the spec sheet says 3-5 min for rapid fixer and 10 min for "normal" fixer. I'm using Kodafix - would it screw up the film if I left it in the fixer for say 8min vs 5min? Being an acid wash process can over-fixing damage the exposed image?

Thanks!

05-03-2009, 10:55 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Wheatfield's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The wheatfields of Canada
Posts: 10,043
Fix for twice the clearing time.
You can measure this by taking a film tongue and suberging a half inck or so of it into the fixer for a half minute and then submerging another half inch or so. When the two sections look the same, you have your clearing time.
Double it and you're there.
This takes fixer exhaustion into account, so is good for tracking the viability of the fixer.
You want to discard it when the clearing time has doubled from the fresh solution time.
Overfixing can start to strip off image forming fixer, so you do want to use care with your times.
05-03-2009, 07:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member
Venturi's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tulsa, OK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,639
Original Poster
Thanks for the clarification.

I do have a question on that leader test though... Do you use a developed or undeveloped leader? I've seen that test mentioned but never quite understood. (and yeah, I need to get a book or two and read up more... )
05-03-2009, 10:03 PM   #4
Pentaxian
Wheatfield's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The wheatfields of Canada
Posts: 10,043
QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
Thanks for the clarification.

I do have a question on that leader test though... Do you use a developed or undeveloped leader? I've seen that test mentioned but never quite understood. (and yeah, I need to get a book or two and read up more... )
Undeveloped. If it's developed, it won't clear.
Try it the way I described it. I think if you see it once, you'll know.

05-03-2009, 10:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member
Venturi's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tulsa, OK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,639
Original Poster
Ha! Very cool.

Just did the test and it came out to 3min flat with fresh Kodafix and NP400. So, based on my reading so far I should do the same test each time I re-use the fixer and when the time doubles (6min) it's time to toss the fixer and mix fresh. I've just been tossing it after each use up to now.
05-04-2009, 06:35 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Wheatfield's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The wheatfields of Canada
Posts: 10,043
QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
Ha! Very cool.

Just did the test and it came out to 3min flat with fresh Kodafix and NP400. So, based on my reading so far I should do the same test each time I re-use the fixer and when the time doubles (6min) it's time to toss the fixer and mix fresh. I've just been tossing it after each use up to now.
Exactly. Remember that some films will fix slower than others too. I check my fixing time while the film is in the developer. It gives me something to do while I watch the drum spin around.
05-04-2009, 06:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 489
I fix for 5 min. Does the job fine.
05-04-2009, 07:57 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Wheatfield's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The wheatfields of Canada
Posts: 10,043
QuoteOriginally posted by Cosmo Quote
I fix for 5 min. Does the job fine.
What film, what fixer. Comments like this are worse than useless because they don't give up any information that can be used.
What if the film/fixer combination the OP uses requires a 10 minute fixing time?
He follows your little bit of non info and buggers his film's archivability with retained silver.
What if he is using a strong rapid fix and a thin emulsion film that only needs a 2 minute fixing time? He's then spending 3 minutes burning his images off the base.
If you have advice, give it, but have the smarts to not be dangerous about it.

05-04-2009, 01:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member
Venturi's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tulsa, OK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,639
Original Poster
Appreciate the help.

On a related note, is there a similar test for developer? Is it a PH level type of thing when they expire?
05-04-2009, 01:38 PM   #10
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 489
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
What film, what fixer. Comments like this are worse than useless because they don't give up any information that can be used.
What if the film/fixer combination the OP uses requires a 10 minute fixing time?
He follows your little bit of non info and buggers his film's archivability with retained silver.
What if he is using a strong rapid fix and a thin emulsion film that only needs a 2 minute fixing time? He's then spending 3 minutes burning his images off the base.
If you have advice, give it, but have the smarts to not be dangerous about it.

Sorry, that really was a useless post.

Ilfostop. All film. I shoot Ilford.
05-04-2009, 01:50 PM   #11
Pentaxian
Wheatfield's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The wheatfields of Canada
Posts: 10,043
QuoteOriginally posted by Cosmo Quote
Sorry, that really was a useless post.

Ilfostop. All film. I shoot Ilford.
Thats fine, I made a bitchy reply.
You mean IlfoFix, right?
05-04-2009, 02:20 PM   #12
Veteran Member
Venturi's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tulsa, OK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,639
Original Poster
Coupla old ladies you two are...

Here's some samples from last nights processing.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/582486-post448.html
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
film, fixer, min, process, times
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fixing the flash on Z-1p? phosphoro Pentax Film SLR Discussion 9 01-01-2011 09:02 PM
PP for Fixing Exposure Dubesor Video and Pentax HDSLRs 7 08-27-2010 03:30 AM
Fixing her hair mr tibbs Monthly Photo Contests 0 01-09-2010 08:33 PM
Fixing a negative jzietman Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 33 10-21-2009 01:26 PM
fixing signature oatman911 Site Suggestions and Help 3 06-25-2009 09:00 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:13 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top