Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2009, 02:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
George Harrison - Pentaxian

Ned's blog photo of George playing with his new Pentax reminded me... Near the start of Hard Day's Night, I thought I caught a Pentax as well - Ringo was goofing around with it, and then he or (I thought) George took a pic of Paul (who posed) in the train comparment. I've looked around and the closest I came is this:

(Here's John snorting coke from the same sequence...)

Another of George with the camera Ned shows:

The photo from Ned's blog
http://nedbunnell.blogspot.com/2009/05/beatles-photo-with-pentax.html

05-04-2009, 02:35 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Note that they take a hundred photos yet never once have to reload film.
Later Ringo knocks the camera off a rock, then submerges it in water and
never misses a shot. Boy, those old Pentax cameras sure were something!

Chris
05-04-2009, 02:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Imagine what that dunked Spottie and lens would go for now... What is that lens Ringo's using, a 105?

Little do you know, Ned's allusion is actually to the fact that Pentax had developed a digital imaging system, using Spotmatic and K camera parts, in the early 60s. Only select and wealthy patrons had them, the Beatles of course among this elite. That's why you don't see the film ever running out.
05-04-2009, 04:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Ned's blog photo of George playing with his new Pentax reminded me...
It may be George's, but that's Ringo with the camera in the first frame.

woof!

05-04-2009, 10:02 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It's been a hards days night and I have been shooting like a daaag.....Love that movie and the scene!
05-05-2009, 07:34 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Imagine what that dunked Spottie and lens would go for now... What is that lens Ringo's using, a 105?
It looks like a 105 but note the pull up latch on this end of the camera. That's not a Spottie but, most likely, either a SV or S1a.

CW

In looking further at the picture on Ned's blog of John looking at the camera. It appears to show a tiny button to the side of the pentaprism so that would make it a SV.

Last edited by straightshooter; 05-05-2009 at 07:42 PM.
05-05-2009, 09:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Probably an SV. The distinctive SV self-timer knob around the rewind knob is easily visible. Plus reportedly Sir Paul owned an SV, so it wouldn't be surprising for a band mate to also get one (or even be using Paul's in this photo).

The idea that Pentax had some super-secret digital prototype back then in order to facilitate 100 shots is just ridiculous. The technology just wasn't there, nor would it have made sense to put the money into trying it.

The problem was easily resolved using technology that had existed at least from the 1930s, or perhaps even a bit earlier: They just sent the cameras out to be modified by the same guy who made Roy Rogers' guns.
05-05-2009, 10:12 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
...They just sent the cameras out to be modified by the same guy who made Roy Rogers' guns.
Or BUCK ROGER's ray guns!!!

Steve

05-06-2009, 12:44 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Or BUCK ROGER's ray guns!!!

Steve
I believe you are probably correct. Now that I think about it, if the camera had been modified by the folks who made the guns for silver screen singing cowboy stars, every time you wanted to take a picture you would have to point it straight up into the air first.
05-06-2009, 02:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

The idea that Pentax had some super-secret digital prototype back then in order to facilitate 100 shots is just ridiculous. The technology just wasn't there, nor would it have made sense to put the money into trying it.

The problem was easily resolved using technology that had existed at least from the 1930s, or perhaps even a bit earlier: They just sent the cameras out to be modified by the same guy who made Roy Rogers' guns.
Pffft -- 100 shots. How about 250?
05-06-2009, 07:52 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Probably an SV. The distinctive SV self-timer knob around the rewind knob is easily visible. Plus reportedly Sir Paul owned an SV, so it wouldn't be surprising for a band mate to also get one (or even be using Paul's in this photo).
Doh!!!!! I'm looking for a little bitty button and didn't even think about the much larger self timer knob under the rewind crank. How stupid is that. Well, it was late when I was looking at it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash:
Now that I think about it, if the camera had been modified by the folks who made the guns for silver screen singing cowboy stars, every time you wanted to take a picture you would have to point it straight up into the air first.
And then you would have to sling the camera forward while taking the picture as if you were trying to throw a bullet out of a gun barrel.

CW