Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2009, 03:21 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Screw Mount Pentax SLR's...things of beauty ?

While I was checking out 'Old Reliable"...my 40 + year old , original owner Pentax S1a....I also checked out my 35 year old black bodied Pentax ES ll. I also bought this new and it is just about pristine. Not to brag, but after handling my ES ll I remembered what a wonderful camera this is and was. It's elegant, slim...one of those machines that a guy like me, just can't help myself to check out visually and to operate. ...It's a pleasure to look at and to operate all the controls...after so many years...everything just clicks when i move the shutter dial, use the 55 mm f 1.8 focus ring, etc.. Sort of when you come across a '63 Corvette Sting Ray...split window coupe or a '61 Jaguar XKE coupe ...black exterior...black interior. The ES ll in black is one of those machines...eye candy to behold.
Is it just me...or do others out there also admire beautiful machinery.

05-04-2009, 03:41 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the love of precision product is one of the things that fires LBA and CBA for vintage cameras and glass.

Steve
05-04-2009, 04:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Is it just me...or do others out there also admire beautiful machinery.
It's not just you. That's how I feel about this fella...

1957 Asahi "AP" Original. The model on this camera is "Pentax." The company later took the name. It takes great photos too...

Umm... actually I have... An "AP," S, K, H2, H3, S1, SV, a Spotmatic (Early), and a Spotmatic (Late) and many of the period lenses for each of these. Most are in very, very clean condition. I am not sure entirely how that happened. It just did. I sell one and another one shows up.

It's not just you. Photos of your cameras please!

Seaain
05-04-2009, 04:28 PM   #4

For me, some of the old camera designs are fine examples of classic styling. From a personal Pentax POV, the pinnacles were the M through to the A series, and the LX.

Anything since (from any camera maker) just doesn't strike the same chord for me.

05-04-2009, 05:22 PM   #5
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are many aspects to a hobby - or to the hobby side of a pro. I'm not trying to speed up and make more money or fewer lost opportnities in the same hours of a day.

I'm trying to slow down and enjoy myself more in the same hours of relaxation.

Using old, finely engineered, metal mechanical equipment is more satisfying to me than using plastic encased, electronic devices, no matter how fine the output is with the new stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I use digital gear as well as mechanical - but for the balance between the IQ and the convenience.

I use old mechanical stuff for the balance between IQ and the experience - there is some unexplainable magic to the sound of an SP-F or a K2 shutter . . .
05-04-2009, 05:46 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
It's not just you. That's how I feel about this fella...

1957 Asahi "AP" Original. The model on this camera is "Pentax." The company later took the name. It takes great photos too...

Umm... actually I have... An "AP," S, K, H2, H3, S1, SV, a Spotmatic (Early), and a Spotmatic (Late) and many of the period lenses for each of these. Most are in very, very clean condition. I am not sure entirely how that happened. It just did. I sell one and another one shows up.

It's not just you. Photos of your cameras please!

Seaain
Woof,

I would like to post pictures of my cameras....but I'm functionally illiterate when it comes to computers...I just know the basics...I don't know how to post my pictures on the website.

I do have a number...some non Pentax. Another old mechanical beast of beauty is my Mamiya 220 F Professional. It's a TLR medium format with 65mm wide angle, 80 mm normal and 180 mm telephoto lenses.

All leaf shutter lenses with a bellows and twin lenses per lens, one mounted atop the other. All mechanical, not even a built in light meter. I use a Sekonic meter with this and my other non metered cameras.

But a lovely device...all springs and gears .

Another favourite is my small Leica 11f Rangefinder...built like a tank...but compact, elegant (there's that word again) and completely metal and mechanical. And old....made in 1952...screw mount Elmar f3.5 50 mm lens. A classic

Les