Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2009, 04:32 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
should I pay that much for an ME super?

hello all.
My dilemma is this:
Recently I came across an ad in an Icelandic Photographic forum, in the "for sale" section.
in this ad a member was selling a Pentax ME super with a M-50mm 1.7, Alfon 350md flash, a few filters (polarizer amongst others) and a teleconverter.
now, he wished for an offer for all the items or separately.
I sent him a pm and asked some questions and if he had a general ideal price for sale. he said he wanted 20000ISK for the whole lot (that's about 160USD)..
.. and I felt that it was a bit high as I had a price in my mind for about 80$ or even less..
now.. Is that a fair price to pay or even common for these kind of items?
plz. help..

05-05-2009, 04:47 PM   #2

You could check E*ay to get an idea of prices for the ME Super and the lens but $160 seems a bit high to me, especially if you assume that you'll probably need to send it off for a CLA.

Personally I'd offer the seller $100, maybe $120 maximum

Edit: I've bought my partner an ME for her birthday and it's a lovely camera to use. I'm sure the ME Super is just as good, so...........if I didn't have enough cameras already, I'd be tempted to get an ME or ME Super myself

Last edited by carlb; 05-05-2009 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Added extra comment
05-05-2009, 05:16 PM   #3

Original Poster
well.. as that was one of the first things I did, I see what you mean.
when I checked E*ay I found a few that were about 40$ and 50$,
(but as I don't us E*ay for shopping since I don't have a credit card and haven't been bold enough to shop online unless on icelandic sites and forums.)
I asked him if he had used the camera at all recently and told him that I had seen these go for less on eğay,
but not at all in an insulting manner but he replied as he was offended and told me to buy it from eğay then, and pay tolls and shipment...
I don't think I said anything wrong..
05-05-2009, 05:22 PM   #4

I wouldn't worry about it - it's his loss.

The first rule of buying stuff is that there's always another deal available somewhere. ME Supers are in plentiful supply so it shouldn't be too hard to find one. Ffordes in the UK and KEH in the US would probably have some, and they both have good reputations for mail order service. I've used Ffordes myself and there were no problems.

Good luck

05-05-2009, 05:23 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Depending on condition I think $70 to $100 would be more than fair for this camera (and the condition should be quite good with everything working). Don't feel bad about the seller's response. Besides, there are always good ME Supers out there. Be patient and you'll find a camera in as good or better shape than this one for a lot less money.
05-05-2009, 06:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Well, depending on how much you would want to pay for shipping, you can get an ME Super really cheap in the marketplace here.

You could pick up one of those and have it CLA'd for half of what the other guy is selling one in questionable condition for.
05-05-2009, 06:45 PM   #7

Just try to be careful to look hard at actual condition, If seller is vague or pleads ignorance, or has no "good" pics of product, be especially careful. I have been bitten twice lately by folks that "don't know anything about cameras". My Bad, I should have been more supisious. ME Super had corrosion and was not useable. 28-85mm lense was so bad I threw it in the trash. Wasn't worth fixing. I still buy online, but I am more careful. Some good stuff out there, but traps too!

Happy hunting, Steve N
05-05-2009, 06:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

i was going to sell mine for what i bought it for here $60

08-08-2009, 05:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
I wouldn't worry about it - it's his loss.

The first rule of buying stuff is that there's always another deal available somewhere. ME Supers are in plentiful supply so it shouldn't be too hard to find one. Ffordes in the UK and KEH in the US would probably have some, and they both have good reputations for mail order service. I've used Ffordes myself and there were no problems.

Good luck
Do Ffordes also fix the items, prior to reselling, as I believe KEH does ?
ffordes photographic : Main Index
08-08-2009, 06:33 AM   #10
Veteran Member

To the best of my knowledge, KEH has a repair shop, but does not necessarily sell cameras that they have repaired. There are a few places on eekbay that do advertise serviced camera bodies. Henry's in Canada???
08-08-2009, 08:22 AM   #11
Forum Member

I paid $35 for a brand new P30t and a 50mm, 2.0 which is as small and as good as my ME.
08-08-2009, 08:37 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
supply and demand

People get fixed ideas about what their film cameras are worth based on what they paid for them. A friend-of-a-friend once learned I used Pentax cameras and said he had a P30 he hadn't used in years and would I like it? Possibly, I said, but can I pay you something for it? Sure, he said, $250 would be fair! He wouldn't sell it cheaper, and when I declined the high price, he said he thought he'd throw it away then. Okay, you do that, have yourself a great day....

He clearly had decided I was trying to take criminal advantage of him by pointing out that film cameras had decreased in value over the last few years, this even though he had been the one to initiate the whole conversation.

Anyway, about the ME Super: you should never pay a lot for one, period; not because it isn't an excellent camera -- it is -- but there are so many out there selling for so little. Even if you have to buy three cheap ones to get one that happens to be in good shape, you're still way ahead of where you would have been buying one from a person who doesn't understand supply and demand (or pretends not to).

The only exception, maybe, is if you can buy one with a documented recent CLA job and plausible warranty.
08-08-2009, 09:45 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Just for comparison, I have an ME F which is very similar to the ME Super but a lot less common. It can use the first Pentax AF lens (AF 35-70mm). I have less than $100 USD in it including a CLA and shutter repair.

If the person selling the ME Super that you are discussing and can document that it has been CLA'd recently that changes the game somewhat but is still a bit high. However, the lens is worth something if it is in good shape. Maybe around $50 usd.

Edit: Anytime you get a vintage film camera that is 20 years old or older, 7 out of 10 times you well have to get it CLA if you intend to use it. That holds for all makes. It holds true for cameras that you may have bought new. I just sent my wifes K1000 in for a cla and she bought it new in 1984.
08-08-2009, 10:43 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Even though it is an older thread, I will say and I have said this before. I believe the ME-S and now the ME-F are soem of the finest SLR's ever made and love all 4 of mine and use them regularly. All are set up differently,( film, lenses etc.), best street cam there is. Aperture priority, 1/2000 shutter speeds. Small, light, compact...Love mine.

As far as price and worth. It is more of a question of what its worth to you and factor in a CLA at Erics for $100.00
08-08-2009, 02:29 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Even though it is an older thread, I will say and I have said this before. I believe the ME-S and now the ME-F are soem of the finest SLR's ever made and love all 4 of mine and use them regularly. All are set up differently,( film, lenses etc.), best street cam there is. Aperture priority, 1/2000 shutter speeds. Small, light, compact...Love mine.

As far as price and worth. It is more of a question of what its worth to you and factor in a CLA at Erics for $100.00
I didn't realize how old this thread was until after I posted because of the recent activity. My post is probably too late to be of any use to the OP.