Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2009, 06:45 AM   #16
K-9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
The camera was made in 1994 and mine is still going strong. Even it if were it die, the camera would still be completely usable, just without a meter.

I just checked my manual. It describes it as a "Ricoh Solar battery system that produces electricity and a capacitor that stores it." It says that when put away in a dark drawer, the capacitor will discharge over time. But with the instant charge feature, you can get it going again right away, so it's no big deal.

It's the perfect back-up body, IMO. You can just store it and grab it when you're ready to go. If I haven't taken photos in a while and suddenly need a camera, I will often just grab this one with my Pentax-M 50mm 1.4 attached, as I always know it's ready to go.

Last edited by K-9; 05-09-2009 at 06:51 AM.
07-07-2009, 06:49 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
07-07-2009, 07:03 AM   #18
Site Supporter

This is one rare camera. Not even on EvilBay . . .
07-07-2009, 03:56 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
I remember that advertisement from when the XR-S first came out! The camera was quite the novelty. They even had a special ever-ready case with two windows to let light in .

Nesster...Thanks for posting these old ads. I just looked at your Flickr stream and figure I could spend some time there just reading all the old copy!

Steve

07-08-2009, 05:23 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Thanks for sharing Nesster,

here's some more about an XR Solar rebrand with german warehouse company Quelle (now facing bankcruptcy) and their camera brand Revue: Revue Solar 100

This particular camera has been sucked up from the market several years ago when people realised they could get that lens with it.

Also goes to show that the Cosina/Rikenon/Revuenon lens is the same lens and definitely not the Porst.
Best, Georg (the other)
07-08-2009, 03:50 PM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
Even it if were it die, the camera would still be completely usable, just without a meter.
This model appears to have aperture-preferred AE and therefore an electronic shutter, which DOES require electrical power...

Chris
07-08-2009, 04:17 PM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
This model appears to have aperture-preferred AE and therefore an electronic shutter, which DOES require electrical power...

Chris
Which model are you referring to Chris? The XR Solar is a manual exposure camera with built-in meter. The XR-S (pictured in the ad posted by Nesster) has an electronic shutter and aperture-priority automation. The XR-S can use either a proprietary rechargeable cell or two standard SR44 batteries.

Steve
07-08-2009, 04:24 PM   #23
K-9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
That ad is not for the Ricoh XR Solar. The XR-S camera is a dime a dozen on ebay. The XR Solar is much rarer and is the same body as the Cosina E1 and Revue Solar, and they even used the same frame for the Voigtlander Bessas, although I believe they used heavier material.

Last edited by K-9; 07-08-2009 at 04:31 PM.
12-08-2009, 07:56 PM   #24
Site Supporter

This is an interesting thread. I bump it up for discussions. Is the xr-s a worthy candidate to consider? Is the metering as simple as xr-7? Is it difficult to find the solar rechargeable batteries?

Thanks,
Hin
12-08-2009, 09:33 PM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
This is an interesting thread. I bump it up for discussions. Is the xr-s a worthy candidate to consider? Is the metering as simple as xr-7? Is it difficult to find the solar rechargeable batteries?

Thanks,
Hin
An XR S went for just over $12 USD this evening on eBay. It had a XR Rikenon 50/2 "S" attached. Just when I thought I had the Rikenon lens puzzle figured out, I come across a new variant. In any case...in the even that the solar battery is toast, the XR S works fine with 2 SR 44 cells. (It is basically an XR7 with solar panels.)

Steve
12-08-2009, 10:44 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Deja vu- I was just looking at this thread earlier today. From my understanding, the rechargable batteries are no longer available. From what I've read, it seems to be a pretty decent camera.

I picked up an XR-s and have been trying to decide whether I keep the Ricoh or an ME Super for my K mount film body. They are close to eachother in size with the Ricoh being slightly larger, having DOF preview and a dial to change manual speeds rather than the little buttons.

I have the 50/2 S that came with mine on the marketplace. I'll be keeping the 28/2.8 for further testing. I already have enough 50's. The 28 does have a higher quality feel and lacks the "S" designation, I wonder if this is related??
12-08-2009, 11:13 PM   #27
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tvfd911 Quote
...They are close to eachother in size with the Ricoh being slightly larger, having DOF preview and a dial to change manual speeds rather than the little buttons.

I have the 50/2 S that came with mine on the marketplace. I'll be keeping the 28/2.8 for further testing. I already have enough 50's. The 28 does have a higher quality feel and lacks the "S" designation, I wonder if this is related??
Don't forget that the Ricoh also has an exposure lock button and double exposure.

I am curious about the "S" lens. I have the vanilla XR 50/2 and am aware of the "L" (lite?)version with a narrow focus ring. My XR 50/2 is all metal except for the focus grip.

Steve
12-09-2009, 08:08 AM   #28
Veteran Member

If you're interested, it is for sale cheap. haha, jk.

The lens is a composite about the size of an FA 50/1.4. The focus ring isn't as well dampened as a Tak or even the Rikenon XR 28/2.8 that also came with the set-up, but it is a lot better than a DA quick shift. Including the distance scale on the focus ring, the ring is by no means narrow at nearly 3/4 inch. Whole stop aperture positions on the ring. The mount is a regular K mount, no electrical contacts.

The exposure lock button is one of the reasons that I decided to keep the Ricoh. If I miss the ME super, I have a mint one that is in about 20 parts I could put back together, haha. the reviews section here states that the ME Super is capable of multiple exposures, but I have no clue how its done. Maybe hold the film release pin on the bottom of the camera while cocking the shutter with the rewind?
07-19-2011, 08:47 PM   #29
Inactive Account

How Rare?

Can anyone help me with a value on the XR Solar not the XR-S? Just wondering can not find anything on line to give me an idea of its value.
07-22-2011, 08:23 AM   #30
K-9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Body usually goes from $80-$110. It is extremely hard to find, though. Probably only two a year on ebay. The rebranded ones like the Revue shown above or the Cosina version are even scarcer.