Ricoh XR-Solar Film Camera | eBay

how about this?

is this the S or the Solar?

07-22-2011, 06:15 PM   #32
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Yes, that's the good one. The XR-Solar. Never needs batteries. It doesn't pop up often, so whoever is interested, bid away now. Not sure what the seller means by the shutter prematurely firing upon film advancement. I know the one I had had a very sensitive shutter, and often you couldn't hold the button down halfway to meter or the shutter would trip. Maybe the advance lever is tripping the shutter button in some way. It looks like it comes with a 50mm f1.7 (possibly a Ricoh brand) and what appears to be a Samyang 18-28mm. Also a cheap flash. Not a bad lot depending on the reserve price.

Both lenses look like "A" lenses, but the camera is fully manual so you can't use the "A" settings anyway.

Last edited by K-9; 07-22-2011 at 06:23 PM.
07-22-2011, 09:39 PM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
Both lenses look like "A" lenses, but the camera is fully manual so you can't use the "A" settings anyway.
The zoom is hybrid A/P mount (has Ricoh pin and Pentax A contacts). The 50mm looks to be a Rikenon-P. It has the Ricoh pin and would operate as a non-A contact lens on a Pentax dSLR. (Assuming, of course that the pin is disabled or demonstrated to not be one of the variants that does not cause mount problems.)

Steve
10-27-2012, 11:01 AM   #34

Photos: Gallery
i just got the offer for the ricoh xr solar ... does this camera really work without a battery?

10-27-2012, 12:24 PM   #35
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by infoomatic Quote
i just got the offer for the ricoh xr solar ... does this camera really work without a battery?
It will indeed work without a battery, if the camera is in working condition. The body is all mechanical with the exception of the meter. The meter is powered by charge stored in a capacitor that is charged by solar cells. Even if the capacitor or solar cells are no longer operational (they don't last forever), the camera itself is probably still quite functional.

Steve