Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2009, 10:03 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Ricoh XR Solar

I was wondering if anyone else has this camera? I love it, and it's sort of hard to find, only popping up on ebay here and there. I was wondering if anyone has it, and does yours have a very sensitive shutter/exposure. When I depress it to get the exposure needle to come up in the viewfinder, it's very easy to fire the shutter without wanting to. I wanted to know if this is just mine, or on most of these bodies. I was considering finding another if this is just mine, if I could find one cheap enough. If it's like this on all of them, mine is in perfect condition otherwise and I wouldn't need an upgrade.

It's not that big a deal, as I usually try to expose before advancing the lever to the next frame, but this is easy to forget.

Cosina also made the exact same camera, but I forget the full name of it.

05-07-2009, 11:23 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The XR-S was functionally identical to my XR7 except for the solar cells. To turn on the meter, you press the bar on the front of the camera (indented into the grip). The shutter button is not designed for partial press.

Edit: Oops! Sorry, I thought you had the earlier XR-S. The XR Solar is a different animal. I just took a look at the manual and am astounded at the clumsy way you have to do metering!

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-07-2009 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Gross inaccuracy!
05-07-2009, 11:41 AM   #3
K-9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hi, the XR-S and XR Solar are two different cameras. The XR-S is solar powered also, but it's a different body. The XR Solar is a newer version.
05-07-2009, 06:04 PM - 1 Like   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I have numerous Ricohs but none of them are the solar jobs. This link to a Ricoh site won't directly answer your question but you will find a lot of useful information on the specs of both solar cameras, and virtually all other Ricoh.

The Unofficial Guide to Ricoh SLR Cameras and Rikenon Lenses

05-07-2009, 06:50 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
Hi, the XR-S and XR Solar are two different cameras. The XR-S is solar powered also, but it's a different body. The XR Solar is a newer version.
See my edit above...

Sorry about the confusion.

Steve
05-07-2009, 06:52 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by scimitar12 Quote
I have numerous Ricohs but none of them are the solar jobs. This link to a Ricoh site won't directly answer your question but you will find a lot of useful information on the specs of both solar cameras, and virtually all other Ricoh.

The Unofficial Guide to Ricoh SLR Cameras and Rikenon Lenses
I also have several Ricoh's, but have never seen the site for your link. Thanks for sharing!

Steve
05-07-2009, 08:35 PM   #7
K-9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
No problem, Steve. Thanks. Yes, that Ricoh site is useful, thanks scimitar12. Never knew there were so many Ricoh bodies. And an XR-P Gold -- wow! The XR Solar is right there at the top of the SLR page, too.
05-08-2009, 02:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Were you aware that one is for sale in the marketplace here or were you researching prior to possibly purchasing?

05-08-2009, 10:05 AM   #9
K-9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Are you sure there's a Ricoh Solar for sale here? I saw the Ricoh XR-S, but again, as I pointed out above, this is not the same camera.

I was inquiring as to whether or not anyone else with this body notices the quick release of the shutter, sometimes before you can get to meter. It's very sensitive on my camera. If they are all like this, I'm obviously not going to buy another, but if it's only mine, I would consider buying a 2nd one if the price is right. It's a very good camera, and mine works fine. It's just the perfectionist in me wanting to see if one with a less sensitive shutter exists.

If there is an XR Solar for sale, please provide the link? thanks
05-08-2009, 12:01 PM   #10
Forum Member

XR Solar

The XR Solar is maybe the most sought after of all the Ricoh cameras. The XR-S is solar, but as several have pointed out it is different than the XR-Solar. The XR-S is basically an XR-7 warmed over with a small solar battery that serves as a back-up for the regular batteries. if the solar back-up battery goes dead, and they do, the camera is essentially an XR-7. That's not bad, the XR-7 is well regarded by many people as a good quality back up.

I am thinning out my heard of old Ricohs and Sears badged Ricohs. They are a nice line; nothing fancy, they just get the job done.
05-08-2009, 12:44 PM   #11
K-9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes, when they appear on eBay, they always sell. I found out the name of the Cosina copy body: it's the E1 Solar. That version is even harder to find than the Ricoh Solar, as I imagine a lot less were produced under that guise.
05-08-2009, 02:22 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Hee, wow. I'd forgotten all about those. Couldn't have ever seen more than one or two.
05-08-2009, 02:25 PM   #13
Veteran Member

so you can use the solar panel to recharge the batteries?
05-08-2009, 04:38 PM   #14
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
so you can use the solar panel to recharge the batteries?
I can't vouche for the XR Solar, but on the XR-S the solar panels would recharge the solar batteries. The batteries would eventualy need to be replaced, and I don't think anyone sells those anymore. At that point you have an instant XR-7
05-08-2009, 06:57 PM   #15
K-9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The XR Solar has no replaceable batteries. It has a cell that only runs the meter, and it is charged up by the solar panel and that's it. There's nothing to ever do. It has an instant charge setting, so even if it's been sitting for years, you just set that lever and the meter instantly works as long as long as you're in daylight.