Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2009, 07:48 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I have small hands and short stubby fingers, those bulky cameras, tend to have me having to reach too far for the shutter release.

On Tripods, I used to have this big bulky Bogen/Manfrotto 3221W. It was a nice tripod, sturdy but heavy. With my camera attached it weighed 11 lbs. I also had a monopod once but that was hard to keep steady, that's why I upgraded to the tripod. I've been looking around ebay, searching for something equivilent to that one, but have yet to find anything that isn't cheaply made and wobbly. And yes, I tend to shoot with long lenses. Need to here animals, and birds, and butterflies, don't stand still for you to shoot them and they never come up real close to you.

05-09-2009, 09:03 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Hee, the real issue for me isn't so much the birds and animals not getting close: the way the place is laid out, when my little friends come along, they're right on top of you, and the trouble is going to get a camera without spooking them. They're really very used to me, to a point, but there aren't a lot of good shots at comfier distances.

Bet I can get someone through the screen door, actually.
05-09-2009, 09:35 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I live in the house I grew up in. We live in a smallish town, with two lots being our own, trees and squirrels, and birds, and butterflies, but with my point and hope, they may as well be a mile away cause I can't seem to catch them on camera. Now my sister lives outside of town on three acres, her birds come close enough to catch on the camera, but flying birds are different story. With this point and hope, it focuses on closeup items, forget the birds taking flight, it focuses on the sky. I guess you could say it's too light attracting. LOL

I've shot through screen, and chicken wire fences with my 100-300mm and my Pentax. I'm hoping I can do this again when I get the new camera and lens. I'm sure that won't be a problem.

I would post a photo of the birds, but since I took those photos with a Nikon, I wouldn't feel comfortable posting those photos on this Pentax site.
05-09-2009, 12:51 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Hey. I got a bit confused if it's autofocus you want, but someone's selling some good A (manual focus but auto exposure) lenses to help fill out your kit on short money: he's got a couple of 50/2s I'd bet were A's, (best ask) and a Sigma Miniwide II which someone may already be after. (Nice sleeper lenses those) Also some passable tele-zooms that may not offer AE for you on that ZX-7. But I'm guessing that's where you'd rather spend a little more, anyway.

Thread titled with 'I am back with some lens.'

05-09-2009, 04:11 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Original Poster
All I wanted was the autofocus camera, but since I don't use them on autofocus, I buy either or autofocus or manual lenses. I checked that link you added but the seller isn't posting any photos of these lenses though many members have asked. I'll wait and see if there are photos posted first. I hate buying things blind like that.
05-09-2009, 09:36 PM   #21
Pentaxian

That's understandable. I don't know who that seller and he doesn't purport to know anything about what he's selling, (usually not a good sign on Ebay, but if he can read SMC-A on a 50/2 and not gouge you, you can have that and spend your money on your primary aim. Cheap stuff to get you in business doesn't hurt. Sounds like you're scraping around a bit, though I may be projecting a bit of a skinnier budget on you than is warranted.
05-09-2009, 11:24 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I was suspicious to start with but decided to pm him about the 50mm lenses. These I used to use for macro with close up lens attached.

Funds are tight as they can be at the moment. I just built a new computer for myself and being on a limited income, that makes it hard to buy all the equipment that I need to restart my photography wants.
05-11-2009, 02:54 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I thought I'd set this thread as resolved or solved, which ever this forum uses.

I found a 80-200mm for the amazing price of $20 on this forum. I bought it, sent mo out this morning. I am also in contact with another member for some addtional lens in my price range.

I contacted KEH this morning and they assured me my camera and battery pack are being shipped today. So, maybe I'll get that lens and the camera about the same time.

Thanks every one for your help, especially Ratmagiclady.

05-11-2009, 07:36 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Glad to have helped, by the way.

And, hey, wow, these cheapie hiking poles become much steadier camera support if bent slightly, say, as if you nearly fell and caught yourself on it.

Think I need a better pole, after all, but it *is* steadier now that it's taken a set of its own. My guess is ithappened when I was having some pain last week and leaning on the thing heavily. All of a sudden, it's much steadier, now. Don't think I'll try collapsing this, though.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 05-11-2009 at 07:47 PM.
05-11-2009, 11:57 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Now that the camera will be here Wednesday, and the 80-200mm probably Friday, and the others I'm not sure about when they'll get here, I'll be out shooting this weekend.

Now I have to find a good tripod. I'm not steady enough to use a mono though, so I'll be looking around til I find just the right one at the right price.

I'll have to wait a few months though, as I have a few more computer parts to buy to finish building my great nephew and niece's computer.