Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2013, 11:22 AM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by J8B Quote
how do i apply pressure to them?
The shutter mechanism is very delicate. I would caution against applying "pressure" to any part of it. From what you describe, it sounds like the shutter's leading curtain (several very thin metal leafs, to be more precise) has dropped, but the trailing curtain has not been released. The mirror will not return until that has happened, assuming there is power to trigger the mirror's release.

The shutter in your Program A is essentially similar to that in your K10D except that the film camera's shutter is cocked using the wind mechanism. Beyond that, its control is all electronic and prone to the same issues as any other electronic device. The release is done with a small switch and coordination of mirror and curtains is managed using small sensors. A failed solder joint, cracked ribbon connector, failed component, or corroded battery compartment and things may cease to work as expected. If it is broken, your camera may be repairable, but doing so is usually dependent on having a donor camera for parts.

Steve

02-10-2013, 10:28 PM   #17
J8B

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The shutter mechanism is very delicate. I would caution against applying "pressure" to any part of it. From what you describe, it sounds like the shutter's leading curtain (several very thin metal leafs, to be more precise) has dropped, but the trailing curtain has not been released.
Yeah that sounds exactly like it. I put new batteries in it a couple of days ago, so they are ok. I took 20 frames out of a 24 roll without any issues and then on one shot it locked up like this. Thought it may have been mechanical, but sounds like its probably an electrical issue. Thanks for your advise. I may have a tinker around before getting a quote to fix. Quite enjoyed taking photos with the camera, so would really like to get it going again.

Thanks.
02-11-2013, 10:05 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How is the mirror foam. Any chance that it is gummy and holding the mirror up? A little gentle pressure and it may drop and allow the shutter to cycle.

Steve