Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2009, 04:44 PM   #1
Forum Member

Help: Program Plus Stuck Mirror

Dear all,

I just got a Progam Plus on the mail today; put a pair of batteries and tested it. The meter works, but when I pressed the shutter, the mirror locked up. I tried to press shutter in different settings (auto, manual, B) but no luck. Any idea how to bring the mirror down?

Thanks.

Togu

05-11-2009, 07:50 PM   #2

you may be in trouble there mate. I know Pentax won't do any official repairs on it. I had the same problem with an old ME super and no one I spoke to would touch it. Of course I'm in Perth Australia so you may have more luck finding someone.

Try searching Pentax spare parts and repairs and you may find someone
05-11-2009, 07:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Erik Hendrickson.

My guess would be that if the mirror stuck up the first time you fired a long-idle camera, it's actually sticky bumper-foam at fault. If there's any doubt there, I wouldn't force it: you'll only pull the silver off the face of the mirror.

It doesn't have to be *very* sticky to not-return automatically, mind you: it may come free with very little force applied. You could try feeling your way carefully. You should be able to feel the difference if anthing is adhesively-sticky there. Just try to keep your skin-oils off that mirror as you touch it, an try and never touch the face of it. It's a different kind of mirror than in your bathroom: the silvering is on top. And it's fragile.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 05-11-2009 at 08:00 PM.
05-11-2009, 08:06 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Erik Hendrickson.

My guess would be that if the mirror stuck up the first time you fired a long-idle camera, it's actually sticky bumper-foam at fault. If there's any doubt there, I wouldn't force it: you'll only pull the silver off the face of the mirror.

It doesn't have to be *very* sticky to not-return automatically, mind you: it may come free with very little force applied. You could try feeling your way carefully. You should be able to feel the difference if anthing is adhesively-sticky there. Just try to keep your skin-oils off that mirror as you touch it, an try and never touch the face of it. It's a different kind of mirror than in your bathroom: the silvering is on top. And it's fragile.
Go here Eric Hendrickson - Pentax Camera Service for an evaluation (complimentary) of the problem. Eric is highly regarded on this Forum.

05-11-2009, 09:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think the best cure is to just buy another working one. For a camera like Program Plus, I don't really think it's worth the trouble and cost to repair. Unless it's a sentimental thing ...
05-11-2009, 10:22 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
I checked the bumper foam before fire the shutter and found that the elasticity was gone, but I did not notice any residue left on my finger. But, maybe you're right, it seems that the camera suffered from sticky bumper foam. I guess if it does not go down by itself, it will go Erik Hendrickson way in few days. This camera is in pristine body condition. I don't have the heart to throw it away.

Thank you all

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Erik Hendrickson.

05-11-2009, 10:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

About a year ago, I responded to a local ad selling a lens. After I paid for the lens and about to leave, the seller asked me if I wanted a broken Program Plus. Of course I did. She gave me a Program Plus body with the "stuck up" mirror, telling me that it had been like that for a year.

I took it. On the way home when stopping at a red light, I couldn't resist and played with the camera. When I pushed the shutter release and gently lifted the mirror at the same time, the shutter tripped and the mirror went down.

The camera was OK ever since.

Later, I accidentally created the same symptom by advancing the film just slightly before the shutter finished its action. The cure is the same: pushing the shutter release and gently lifting the mirror at the same time.

Last edited by SOldBear; 05-12-2009 at 11:46 AM.
05-12-2009, 11:36 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
SOldBear,

Thank you for the tips. It worked!. The bumper foam was sticky, too. I replaced it and tried the shutter again. It is OK now.

Thank you all!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
About a year ago, I responded to a local ad selling a lens. After I paid for the lens and about to leave, the seller asked me if I wanted a broken Program Plus. Of course I did. She gave me a Program Plus body with the "stuck up" mirror, telling me that it had been like that for a year.

I took it. On the way home when stopping at a red light, I couldn't resist and played with the camera. When I pushed the shutter release and gently lifted the mirror at the same time, the shutter triped and the mirror went down.

The camera was OK ever since.

Later, I accidentally created the same symptom by advancing the film just slightly bedore the shutter finished its action. The cure is the same: pushing the shutter release and gently lifting the mirror at the same time.
05-18-2009, 04:53 AM   #9
Pentaxian

hanging subject, same camera
Mine has a stuck winding lever/shutter button
Any thoughts???
have not yet put new batteries on it so this maybe a false alarm
05-18-2009, 07:00 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
The camera won't fire if there is no battery in it; I'm guessing, it might not fire either at low batt
05-18-2009, 10:50 AM   #11
Veteran Member

My ME Super had a stuck mirror the other day. Turned out the shutter curtain hadn't closed completely. I pushed the shutter arms down and the mirror dropped. It's been fine since.
05-18-2009, 11:49 AM   #12
Pentaxian

False alarm! Bateeries on... problem solved
Now the d*&&$*! smell of cigarrete bugs me

Last edited by titrisol; 05-19-2009 at 06:45 AM.
05-26-2009, 12:35 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Update, tobacco smell is almost gone
I clenaed the camera using electronic componenets cleaning foam
For the back door just put the foam over the leatherette and clean... a lot of brown tar came out and the smell is gone
In the front and top I was more careful, using make-up pads and q-tips.
The lens also had a LOT of tar in the ring and was also cleaned

Now it works fine.... going through the first roll and will develop it soon

Now I need some A lenses (even though the FA work just fine)
07-01-2011, 08:34 PM   #14

Pentax Mirror stuck up - fixed!

Deadwolfbones is on the money. Hi fix worked on my Program A stuck mirror

I had the same problem with stuck up mirror and jammed shutter and jammed winder in my Pentax Program A and read all the threads.

Classic cause - I tried to shoot and found batteries were low after disuse had hardened grease etc and camera jammed part way through firing. I replaced the batteries but no improvement . Went to the threads for 4 hours. I tried the base off, the repeated movements of levers, the pressure on mirror, the shutter curtain movement (one direction only - wrong one apparently as it moved easily upwards and apparently would not move down) the sequencing of actions with camera set to B, Auto Man, all to no avail. I accepted that it was an internal problem with rubber pads etc and thought I had accquired a new keepsake. Even the technicians on the web said it needed to be repaired but not woth the cost. Then I read Deadwolfbones. Apply a little downward pressure on the shutter cutain arms (ie towards the base of the camera as they were supposed to be travelling when it jammed) and click the mirror dropped into place and has been fine since.

Well done Deadwolfbones
02-10-2013, 04:09 AM   #15
J8B

Photos: Albums
I have recently acquired a Program A and too have a locked mirror and shutter. I have tried all of the recommended fixes and none have worked. My question is - where are the shutter curtail arms and how do i apply pressure to them? In its current state the mirror is up and the curtain is not visible (you can see through the camera)..

Thanks,
J8B.