Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2009, 01:55 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Stacking Y #8 and a UV?

Just a quick question, is stacking Yellow #8 and a UV nessesary?
I went to Tiffen's site and it makes no mention if their Yellow #8 has UV in it.

05-14-2009, 04:31 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ajuett Quote
Just a quick question, is stacking Yellow #8 and a UV nessesary?
I went to Tiffen's site and it makes no mention if their Yellow #8 has UV in it.
Yeah, you don't need to stack those. I wouldn't stack Tiffens for *any* reason, mind you, unless one was a diffuser. (come to think of it, anyone got a black Softnet they aren't using? ) The effects of a UV in black and white are in general negligible to begin with. Your car's window or plate glass actually screens a lot of UV just by virtue of being glass. (Trust me, I'm UV sensitive.) Where a UV cut is worthwhile as what it is is almost exclusively about the fact that if you're shooting through a *lot* of air, say, with a distant landscape in frame, there is a lot of air scattering UV light, to which some films are sensitive. It's like looking through fog, where you can see close-by things quite clearly, but more distant ones are sort of fadey. Only it's less obvious. The popularity of UV filters rather than plain glass is really mostly a function of 'it may as well be there' as opposed to any real necessity. With modern lens coatings, particularly, it's probably redundant.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 05-14-2009 at 04:38 PM.
05-14-2009, 04:52 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Ratmagiclady for the info, I was hoping that stacking was not needed.