Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2009, 10:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Are Clean Spotmatic F's Really This Desireable?

Crazy prices:

One in chrome

and one in black

05-16-2009, 11:03 PM   #2
Pentaxian

IMO open-aperture metering (with SMC Takumar lenses) makes the Spotmatic F the best in the line.
You don't have to pay anywhere near that much. Buy a clean fixer and send it to Eric. He'll make it like new...

Chris
05-17-2009, 12:23 AM   #3
Damn Brit

The 50 f/1.4 lens adds value but it's still more than you need to pay.
05-17-2009, 05:24 AM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by geauxpez Quote
Crazy prices
I just sold one a week ago here with a 55mm f/1.8 SMC. Some, myself included, like this lens better than the f/1.4 50mm.

The camera had been CLA'd by Eric last November. I'd put three rolls through it and it was pretty much spotless - quite close to the chrome one save for a tiny bit more wear on the battery cover. Great ever ready case in excellent + condition too.

$110.00 shipped

I lost money on it, but fair enough.

At these prices the cameras will not sell. Overall, you do not need to spend more than $125.00 with a CLA.

I'll be selling a Honeywell Spotmatic body in Excellent condition for about $85.00 shipped.

The most important thing to have in this area is patience. There is a lot of crap on eBay and a lot of liars and cheats On the other hand there are a lot of good folk too. Always purchase from someone with good feedback and do not purchase cameras from people who do not offer money back. Moreover, do not think you'll get lucky with "he said it was working when he put it away 300 years ago" and "all it needs is a battery but I can't find one" or any number of the other excuses for passing off bad equipment.

Last week I scored a truly mint, fully operational and recently CLA'd Nikkormat FT2 with Nikkor 50mm f/2.0 for $125.00 shipped. I asked for and received a copy of the receipt for CLA and it was done by a guy I would trust. Condition could have been worse by about 10% and I'd still have been happy.

Patience. Take your time and find the right one. It's out there.

woof

05-17-2009, 05:27 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Crazy prices
I just sold one a week ago here with a 55mm f/1.8 SMC. Some, myself included, like this lens better than the f/1.4 50mm.

The camera had been CLA'd by Eric last November. I'd put three rolls through it and it was pretty much spotless - quite close to the chrome one save for a tiny bit more wear on the battery cover. Great ever ready case in excellent + condition too.

$110.00 shipped

I lost money on it, but fair enough.

At these prices the cameras will not sell. Overall, you do not need to spend more than $125.00 with a CLA.

I'll be selling a Honeywell Spotmatic body in Excellent condition for about $85.00 shipped.

The most important thing to have in this area is patience. There is a lot of crap on eBay and a lot of liars and cheats On the other hand there are a lot of good folk too. Always purchase from someone with good feedback and do not purchase cameras from people who do not offer money back. Moreover, do not think you'll get lucky with "he said it was working when he put it away 300 years ago" and "all it needs is a battery but I can't find one" or any number of the other excuses for passing off bad equipment. Better to purchase from someone who actually owns and uses cameras.

Last week I scored a truly mint, fully operational and recently CLA'd Nikkormat FT2 with Nikkor 50mm f/2.0 for $125.00 shipped. Before I bid, I asked for and received a copy of the receipt for CLA and it was done by a guy I would trust. Condition could have been worse by about 10% and I'd still have been happy. It came from a guy who had collected a bunch of cameras, and he had simply come to the conclusion that he could not sell it without a CLA first. Some people are like that. I feel a little like I took advantage, but no more so than the guy who got my Spot F. The market will only bear so much generally.

This is a good reason to be patient and buy wisely. It's a bit like restoring a car. You are not necessarily going to get your money back. Buy to keep, to own.

Patience. Take your time and find the right one. It's out there.

As for me, my eyes are going. I have too many Spotmatics and I need a split prism.

woof
05-17-2009, 07:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
By no means did I intend to bid on one of these, nor am I hunting for another spotmatic. I just scored a beautiful black Spotmatic with SMC 55/1.8 for roughly $40 with shipping that is on its way to Eric right now. I just ran across those and was a bit shocked by the bid amounts. If I thought that I REALLY had to have open aperture metering for a particular situation, I would bring a K-mount body.
05-17-2009, 07:29 AM   #7
Inactive Account

By no means did I intend to bid on one of these, nor am I hunting for another spotmatic. I just scored a beautiful black Spotmatic with SMC 55/1.8 for roughly $40 with shipping that is on its way to Eric right now. I just ran across those and was a bit shocked by the bid amounts. If I thought that I REALLY had to have open aperture metering for a particular situation, I would bring a K-mount body.
Sorry. Didn't mean to assume something that was not true...

OTOH, my experience with trolling eBay is that it usually results in purchases. Heh.

Enjoy that Spottie. Very nice.

woof!