Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2009, 09:13 PM   #61
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
When I order the other camera, I'm going to order a couple of FA lenses too. I found two in EX and EX+ for both together are less than $75. And I have not received the other lenses I was expecting this week. Also, it's past the 14 day return to KEH on this camera. So, I'm stuck with it, and when I get the other FA lenses I'll give it another go.

I've tried turning the focus dial to M Andi, but that is when all photos taken are overexposed. The meter refuses to move off lowest setting, no matter which speed or shutter speed I use. And I can't use exposure compensation there either. This lens I have will only move the A position if I set it with the Macro ring. In normal mode it stops at F22.

And all modes, Av, Tv, M, or no-flash-auto pic mode (auto pic won't work with this manual lens so says the manual), it refuses to fire the shutter. It's like it's locked itself out or something.

Last edited by photolady95; 05-24-2009 at 12:00 PM.
05-24-2009, 11:47 AM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
When I order the other camera, I'm going to order a couple of FA lenses too. I found two in EX and EX+ for both together are less than $75. And I have not received the other lenses I was expecting this week. Also, it's past the 14 day return to KEH on this camera. So, I'm stuck with it, and when I get the other FA lenses I'll give it another go.
I do think that the body is defective now... but hopefully it will be sorted out with some FA lenses. You would probably be much happier with the MZ-5n too. Good luck!
05-24-2009, 12:26 PM   #63
Site Supporter

Original Poster
KEH has a repair section so when I get the other camera and other lenses and this one still doesn't work with the FA lenses, I'm going to send it in for repairs.
05-24-2009, 11:48 PM   #64
Veteran Member

If you called them and are waiting for their return label/mailer then theyĺl most probably honor their return policy.
Also you may ask for a free reepair

05-25-2009, 06:19 AM   #65
Site Supporter

Original Poster
KEH has a return policy that only lasts 14 days from invoice date, that is, just to return the item if you aren't satisfied with it. However, they have a 60 day return policy for defective used equipment, and will either replace it, repair it or refund it, at their option. So, I'll call them today and see what I can do about this broken camera.

QuoteQuote:
Used Equipment
KEH warrants all used equipment against defects for 60 days from invoice date. Defective equipment must be returned to KEH and may be repaired, replaced or refunded at our option.
05-26-2009, 10:47 AM   #66
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It was not the camera but the lens causing these problems. I got my other lenses, both manual focus and shot some photos this morning with the 50mm. On Manual settings meter moves like it is supposed to and depressing the shutter, smooth as silk. I'll put the other lens out of the way somewhere until I can get a k1000 or similar camera to use that one on. Problems are solved for this thread.

Thanks to everyone who has helped me through this.
05-26-2009, 01:14 PM   #67
Site Supporter

Original Poster
But some settings are still not working, like using Av or Tv modes or those auto pic or close ups, ect. Also this is stuck on +5 exposure compensation and I can't lower it.
06-10-2009, 12:27 PM   #68
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Update to this problem. No longer a problem. I bought a FA28-80mm f3.5 Pentax lens and this camera now works in all modes.

06-11-2009, 06:59 AM   #69
Veteran Member

Cool, welcome to the club!
I just got a data back and 2 lenses for the MZ7

Now instead of a K10000 get a Super-Program or a MESuper... much better cameras
06-11-2009, 07:39 AM   #70
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Why would anyone want a data back? I have the MZ-5 and it came with a data back but I removed the battery.

Also am planning on buying either a 70-300mm FA or 80-320mm FA next month.

However, I can't say I really like this camera as now it acts like a point and shoot. I set AF, lens on A, and point, it focuses, and I press the shutter. I haven't tried any other settings yet. But I did notice that if it's not focused, the shutter will not depress.

Last edited by photolady95; 06-11-2009 at 07:44 AM.
06-11-2009, 09:28 AM   #71
Veteran Member

photolady,

Here is a link to the MZ-7 manual:

Pentax MZ-7, ZX-7 manual, user manual, free instruction manual, pdf manuals

It may help you figure out why some of the modes aren't working...
06-11-2009, 09:35 AM   #72
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Jim. But I have the manual.
I know M lenses don't work in auto pic mode. Ratmagiclady pointed that out to me earlier in this thread. But that zoom lens I have is supposed to have a A setting though I can't get it to move to the (A)/P setting, it goes as far as f22 and stops. By the way, what does "P" mean? I've never had a lens with that setting.
06-11-2009, 09:41 AM   #73
Veteran Member

By the way, what does "P" mean? I've never had a lens with that setting.
P is the same as A. I believe Ricoh uses P (Program?) as their designator for automatic aperture. There should be a button somewhere on the aperture ring that needs to be pressed to move from f/22 to P....
06-11-2009, 10:06 AM   #74
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks. This lens has cpc and cpl on the face of it. Have no clue what that means. But yes, there is a button, but pressing the button will still only allow the ring to move as far as f22. There it stops, to go no further around.
06-11-2009, 11:46 PM   #75
Veteran Member

Why would anyone want a data back? I have the MZ-5 and it came with a data back but I removed the battery.
I've never had one, it came in a camera attached to some lenses so itś worth the try (IMHO)

However, I can't say I really like this camera as now it acts like a point and shoot. I set AF, lens on A, and point, it focuses, and I press the shutter. I haven't tried any other settings yet. But I did notice that if it's not focused, the shutter will not depress.
That's a start... now time to move to Av, Tv and M settings