Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2009, 04:48 PM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
MZ-7 and underexposure

I bought this camera last week from KEH. I got it setup after getting the 80-200mm lens I bought and started shooting today. I prefer Manual mode, but had a problem. Each shot I took showed underexposed in the meter. No matter which aperture setting or which shutter speed I used, the meter said...underexposed.
I tried using the exposure compensation feature, but it's not working. This was shot with Fuji NPH 400

Would any one have an idea why this is happening? And/or do you think I should return the camera?

I thought, I'd upload a underexposed photo to show you what this camera is doing.

This isn't the scanner's problem. I have other negatives from my other pentax cameras and it's not showing like this when I scan them.

Attached Images

Last edited by photolady95; 05-17-2009 at 05:40 PM.
05-17-2009, 05:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

what do you define as "manual mode"?
05-17-2009, 05:52 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Setting the camera's control to manual and manually selecting aperture, and focus.
05-17-2009, 09:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

first, this has nothing to do with focus. in manual exposure you take full control of both shutter speed and aperture. is what you want Av mode? where you select the Aperture and the Camera selects the right shutter speed?

sorry if this is stuff you already know

05-17-2009, 10:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Contact KEH, and if it's still within the warranty period, have them replace your MZ-7 with another MZ-7. There's a small chance that it was damaged in shipment (even though the box may not show it).
05-18-2009, 03:17 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
k100d, I didn't say it had to do with focus. I said if I set the camera's controls to Manual, then I can do my own settings, ie, shutter speed, aperture, and manual focusing. This is the only options for using a autofocus camera set on manual. This camera has a button you slide up or down, and that allows one to set it as autofocus (AF) or manual mode (MF). So, when I put the button on MF setting, then I should be allowed to set aperture, and/or speed, and allow me to focus the lens as manual. But as I said, the meter will not move from underexposed to the correct exposure no matter which aperture and/or speed I chose.

Thanks VF-19, I'm going to contact KEH and just get a refund, then buy the one I had intended to buy in the first place. It's a bit more expensive (a MZ-5n), but at least I have more confidence in this one working properly set at manual mode via the button.
05-18-2009, 03:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Actually, all that button does is to turn the autofocus off or on (and in some models, what mode of autofocus), by extending or retracting the autofocus drive screw in the lens mount.

What I like to do on occasion, is leave autofocus on, turn my dial to M and play around with shutter speeds and aperature values. There's some surprising results to be had with experimentation.

05-18-2009, 04:08 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Actually, all that button does is to turn the autofocus off or on (and in some models, what mode of autofocus), by extending or retracting the autofocus drive screw in the lens mount.
Well, darn it. This is not what it did on my MZ-5n. I had full control on Manual setting on that camera.

But to note on you setting the dial to M, and leaving autofocus on, even that option isn't working. I mean the meter moves set that way but tried changing the shutter speeds and it won't let me change to the shutter speed I want.

To say the least, I'm very disappointed in this camera and the way it works, opposed to how I had full control on Manual with my MZ-5n.
05-18-2009, 04:21 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Not sure if I getting this right if the display shows underexposure and you get underexposed pics I would think the camera was right
I would also suspect the lens, is it opening fully?
is it passing the information to the camera?

- Camera is setup means: new batteries, ISO in auto (check if it is 400)

- Lens 80-200 does it have an aperture ring? What happens if you opne it completely and select the Av mode? What speed does the display show?

- Have you tried shooting a few in easy mode (happy face mode) and see what speed/aperture combo it shows

Go out in a sunny day and check. Also do you hear difference in the speeds (1s and 125 must sound different)
05-18-2009, 04:22 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Take a look at the manual for the camera
I think BUTKUS has it.

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
k100d, I didn't say it had to do with focus. I said if I set the camera's controls to Manual, then I can do my own settings, ie, shutter speed, aperture, and manual focusing. This is the only options for using a autofocus camera set on manual. This camera has a button you slide up or down, and that allows one to set it as autofocus (AF) or manual mode (MF). So, when I put the button on MF setting, then I should be allowed to set aperture, and/or speed, and allow me to focus the lens as manual. But as I said, the meter will not move from underexposed to the correct exposure no matter which aperture and/or speed I chose.

Thanks VF-19, I'm going to contact KEH and just get a refund, then buy the one I had intended to buy in the first place. It's a bit more expensive (a MZ-5n), but at least I have more confidence in this one working properly set at manual mode via the button.
05-18-2009, 04:40 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I checked the lens off camera to make sure each aperture setting was doing as it was supposed to do. Why? Because that was what I suspected might be the problem, but found the lens was opening fully on F4 and closing down on F22. And all aperture settings inbetween were correct.

Camera I bought I also bought the battery grip FG so I went out and bought brand new Energizer Lithium batteries and installed those.

ISO was showing ISO 400.

AV mode showed a shutter speed nothing, just two dashes, and would not allow me to change that when set in AV mode. TV mode showed a 30 as the shutter speed, and would not let me change that either.

If I had bought a camera that was only usable in AV, TV, happy face mode, then I would accept this as it is. I wanted an autofocus camera like my mz-5n that I could control on manual.

Btw, those photos I took yesterday, it was a sunny day, very hot here too.
05-18-2009, 04:59 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Pity, the Mz-7 is a fun camera.

If Av showed dashes, then something is amiss.... I have never seen it
have you opened/closed the flash?
05-18-2009, 05:27 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Flash option is set to Off. And no, I never opened it and closed it.
I was thinking to keep this one but just tried it on autofocus settings and I'm still not getting the correct exposure readings. And AV is still showing two dashes. So, it's going back in a few days as soon as I can get an RMA from KEH. This camera had a rating on KEH as EX, I would think that would mean the camera functioned as it was supposed to........ Oh, and I tried the trick of opening the flash and closing it. Didn't make any difference either way.

Last edited by photolady95; 05-18-2009 at 06:11 AM.
05-18-2009, 06:07 AM   #14

i had this camera.
mz-7 works with aperture ring set either on A, or on a number. it works in both ways, but:
-if you set aperture ring on A, then you select aperture by pressing button for exposure conpensation and using the dial around the shutter; shutter speed is selected using the dial only.
-if you have aperture ring set on a number, then just use the dial to set speed.
this is the way also mz-5n works.

other than this... i would suggest to check if aperture ring is not sitting right in A position (maybe you're shooting with f 22 instead), and to clean contacts on lens and body with clean and soft cloth.
05-18-2009, 08:44 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I am glad you liked that camera. But I can tell you this, when I had my MZ-5n, I could set it on Manual with the slider button, and shoot any shot I wanted on that setting, and change shutter speed, and aperture to anything I wanted to get the correct exposure. I didn't have to do what you said to make it work. I have a 3" ring binder sitting here with thousands of manually shot photos on that MZ-5n.

The aperture ring is/was today sitting on the A, I know the difference between f22 and A positions.