Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2009, 12:08 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
I'm sorry, I'm confusing Simon, I didn't mean for that to happen. My ZX-5n, was easier to use, and I didn't do anything other than move the slider to the MF setting (and as Simon said, this just turns autofocus off), I assumed it meant it was setting it to Manual Focus. Which to me, means the same thing, since setting it on MF, would give me the controls I wanted. Then I used the control on the left top to chose shutter speed. Then used the lens to set Aperture, and of course focus ring to focus with.
it's all good ... hopefully that other lens works!

05-20-2009, 01:32 PM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I'll let you all know the minute they get here.
05-20-2009, 04:06 PM   #33
Veteran Member

The 5n is indeed closer to the old film camera controls... I find the 7 and L (6) easy to use because I come from the dslr and their controls are almost exactly the same.

Maybe once I try the real film-esque controls I'll get addicted too... Maybe I should grab that flash inoperative mz5n from KEH?
05-20-2009, 05:01 PM   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Maybe I should grab that flash inoperative mz5n from KEH?
I don't see why not. Flash being broken wouldn't deter me, if I wanted it, cause I don't use onboard flash on cameras anyway. I had a Metz with my last outfit.

05-20-2009, 05:02 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
The 5n is indeed closer to the old film camera controls... I find the 7 and L (6) easy to use because I come from the dslr and their controls are almost exactly the same.
mz5n, fantastic controls let down by the plastic build
05-20-2009, 05:17 PM   #36
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I never had any problem with mine, Simon. I used it for 8 years. Carrying it up one side the mountain, and down again, up and over rocks, gullies, and up over rocks to the big lake, over those rocks, and banged it a couple of times against those rocks, in MN to shoot those awesome shots. Still working great when I sold it 2 years ago.
05-20-2009, 08:27 PM   #37
Veteran Member

i'm sure it holds up well (if you can avoid the weak motors and the limp flash), just the feeling of using a big block of plastic is disheartening
i did like it a lot when i had mine tho

05-20-2009, 10:46 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Even compared to the ol SF-1 (had it for like half a day), my MZ-L feels a bit plasticky. The SF-1 was a freaking tank. I've used two and held three of the MZ series so far (6, 7, M) and I suspect their build is all similar sans the MZ-S. The 7 feels just sliiiiightly more plasticky than the L. Either way I really like these two cameras. Surprisingly I'm actually enjoying the panorama mode of the 7. I felt that it's a refreshing way to compose pictures. I'm hoping that we can have another camera that covers the viewfinder in a programmable way. (square format, panorama, widescreen, etc).
05-21-2009, 08:08 AM   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well, I was playing around with this camera last night on other settings instead of MF/M mode. I found that the meter actually does move away from underexposure. I set it to Tv mode, lens on A and used exposure compensation, upped to +0.5, the meter moved above the underexposed to the plus side of this meter. Though I also set it on Av, I could not get it to show me any aperture settings. And using the exposure compensation button would not let me change it from Av_ _ either. And the meter inside still doesn't show the aperture settings. I assume this is normal when using Av or Tv modes.
05-21-2009, 09:10 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Hrm, wish I'd seen this one a bit earlier. It does sound like you're having some confusion about how the 7's exposure controls work,whether or not the camera's good. With the 5's you get more-conventional old style controls, but that's part of why they cost more on the used market.

I wonder if the Sears lens isn't responding properly on A cause the automatic's for Ricoh?

Maybe I can help clarify for photolady:

The AF switch on the side of the camera's lens mount there (on all models) *only* relates to autofocus. Totally independent of exposure or exposure mode. Once you get the rest sorted out, you can choose between auto and manual focus as you like without affecting anything else.

You generally set what exposure settings your exposure mode gives you control of by the toggle around the shutter dial, (for one, you hold a button down while doing this) all with the lens set to A.

Av mode is 'aperture priority' ...this as you may recall, lets you choose the aperture and the camera will set the shutter speed. I believe with this camera, you can leave the lens on A for this and set the aperture with the toggle around the shutter button.

Sv is 'Shutter Priority;' here you choose the shutter speed, and the camera will set an appropriate.

P is 'Program,' that's fully-automated exposure.

M up on the mode dial is for manual. This is the setting you want for manual. With the lens' aperture ring set to A, you should be getting aperture info in the finder: those -- lines probably mean the camera can't communicate with the lens, I believe.

If you put the mode dial in P and the lens' aperture ring on A, you should see both shutter speed and aperture if the lens and camera are talking OK. (Oh, wait, there is no P on the dial, let me see what you should do. You can use the smiley face 'Green' mode for now or one of the picture modes with the funny symbols. Let me be sure how you do that. Looking at an online manual now)

(Here is where you can find the manual online: this should explain things for you, too. http://www.butkus.org/chinon/pentax/pentax_mz-7/pentax_mz-7.htm)

Aha. I think I found the problem: under the section for manual exposure: "When lenses other than an F or FA lens are used, no aperture information will be displayed in the viewfinder." (That's a little annoying, but it means your camera probably isn't broken. )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 05-21-2009 at 09:29 AM.
05-21-2009, 10:06 AM   #41
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I have the manual. But on this one there is no 'P' mode. Only 'M' 'Av' and 'Tv' modes. The only P on my camera is for Panaroma mode and it is situated on the back of the camera.

I should have mentioned before that I found and downloaded the manual. This is where I got the info on Manual Focus Mode I posted the screenshot for earlier.

I did not see the above though, your reference to using F or FA lenses. And this lens is a manual lens. Hopefully, funds available situation, I can get a FA lens next week.

When I had my ZX-5n, I had all F or FA lenses, 28-200mm, 35-70mm, and a 100-300mm. I've since sold those lenses. Guess I should have held onto them, eh.

I'll keep the lens I have though, as it also has a Macro setting and I can fix the overexposed problem with my scanner software.
05-21-2009, 01:15 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Ok, as I corrected myself on up there, there's no P mode labled P, but basically, the smiley, 'Auto Pict' and all the scene modes up there are basically 'P' modes, just specialized or more-automated ones. Choose any of those, and you should still get an aperture reading if the lens is workng, set on 'A,' and compatible.

Oh, missed your thing about it being a manual lens. Presumably you mean manual focus, .... in that case, it's not going to be F or FA type spec. That'll be the problem. (I'd thought an A lens would work OK, there, myself, when I was shopping around)

Also I wouldn't be wowed by a zoom lens having a 'Macro' setting: past a certain point in time, they *all* did, even if it was nowhere near true macro. Wasn't one of the proudest moments of 80's and later lens marketing. 'Close focus' just didn't sound as impressive, I guess, but that was only in relation to earier zooms, anyway. You could expect similar or better 'macro' performance out of nearly any lens of that time or later.

Anyway, you want proper exposure, no sense throwing film around and expecting your scanner to cook through overexposed negs: maybe shelling out the extra for a more familiar model would help you if you don't want to figure out the MZ-7. I'm just not getting the idea that you were operating the 7 properly, though this may be entirely because the lens wasn't doing what you expected. Like, possibly, stopping down.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 05-21-2009 at 01:26 PM.
05-21-2009, 01:35 PM   #43
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
On the lens macro setting, this gives sharp closeup photos. So, I'll still keep it. Might pick up a K1000 to use that lens on in the near future. Now that was a good pack around camera. I'd gotten almost as fast at advancing the film, as auto advance on mine as my autofocus was.

Those auto features. I guess I'll play around with them soon as I get some more film. I've only got two rolls of Fuji 200. And of course we have had nothing but rain the last week. and not your normal spring showers but pouring down lightening and thunderstorms rain.

When my other lenses get here, there is a 50mm and a set of closeup lenses. That I can do macro with and I know because this is what I used when I had my K1000. Sometimes I miss that K1000.
05-21-2009, 02:47 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
On the lens macro setting, this gives sharp closeup photos. So, I'll still keep it. Might pick up a K1000 to use that lens on in the near future. Now that was a good pack around camera. I'd gotten almost as fast at advancing the film, as auto advance on mine as my autofocus was.

Those auto features. I guess I'll play around with them soon as I get some more film. I've only got two rolls of Fuji 200. And of course we have had nothing but rain the last week. and not your normal spring showers but pouring down lightening and thunderstorms rain.

When my other lenses get here, there is a 50mm and a set of closeup lenses. That I can do macro with and I know because this is what I used when I had my K1000. Sometimes I miss that K1000.
Eh, I like the old school film bodies, too.. the reason *I* was interested in the MZ-7 was that despite having the computery controls, I could have AF if I needed it and leave the lenses on A when swapping them between film and digital bodies, (just less hassle, there.) I picked up a Super A, which doesn't AF, and which doesn't have terribly-smart auto exposure, but which I can leave in a shooting-ready state without having to fuss when lens-swapping.

If the macro is good on that Sears lens, well, that may be worth keeping, since you have it. I'm not exactly sure how you *meter* with it on that body, though. But, yes, the 50 that's coming may do better. You'll almost certainly get closer.
05-21-2009, 06:18 PM   #45
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Eh, I like the old school film bodies, too.. the reason *I* was interested in the MZ-7 was that despite having the computery controls, I could have AF if I needed it and leave the lenses on A when swapping them between film and digital bodies, (just less hassle, there.) I picked up a Super A, which doesn't AF, and which doesn't have terribly-smart auto exposure, but which I can leave in a shooting-ready state without having to fuss when lens-swapping.

If the macro is good on that Sears lens, well, that may be worth keeping, since you have it. I'm not exactly sure how you *meter* with it on that body, though. But, yes, the 50 that's coming may do better. You'll almost certainly get closer.
Right now I don't meter with the Macro. I set aperture, shutter speed and shoot. I can adjust overexposure with my scanning software. Here's a shot I used the macro setting on, though it's not truly macro as it's not close enough. But this photo was shown as overexposed in my scanner software and this is the result after fixing in that software.
Attached Images