Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2009, 07:04 AM   #1

Spotmatic F Vs Spotmatic ES

Guys i need you opinions on these 2 camera Spotmatic F Vs Spotmatic ES
I've already got a Spotmatic SP but i would like to collect one more Spotmatic series
Which will be the better choice of getting?

Thanks in Advance =)

05-18-2009, 08:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Both are good cameras, with full aperture metering with S-M-C and SMC (and compatible mounts, e.g. adaptall ES, Vivitar TX, and some 3rd party fixed mount lenses).

The F is manual metering, the ES / ES II are aperture priority automatics with a limited but useful range of manual shutter speeds. The F I believe works just like a regular Spotmatic with non SMC lenses - you stop down to meter. The ES/ES II work in 'stop down Av' mode with the non-SMC lenses - you stop the lens down with the meter switch and leave it there, the camera sets shutter speed. (Or, you can meter manually by setting shutter speed.)

The ES has some limitations and perhaps uses up batteries... the ES II is an improvement, you get your delay action back, it takes 4 batteries under the lens mount. (Feeding it batteries can get expensive...) I have an ES II and think it is a slick camera.

The F, I may be mistaken, doesn't have a meter switch - you have to remeber to put the lens cap on to stop the meter from metering and using up the batteries.

The SP-F is far more plentiful in the market and so your chances of getting a good one for a reasonable amount of money is better.
05-18-2009, 09:09 AM   #3

Original Poster
i found a website selling SP F for reasonable price and its a unused set with Tamron 28mm wide angle lens...

I've got an black Es for sell here to with 3 lenses which all are SMC too but the set back is all have a small spot and marks.. but the Es body is pretty good condition...

that is why its really hard for em to choose which camera to buy... I have to admit i'm attracted to the ES because of the black body...

thanks for advice
05-18-2009, 04:43 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I have the ES 11 (Electronic Spotmatic)...black body ...it's been a wonderful camera. I bought it new in 1975 and it's been a great camera.

It's true it does take a lot of batteries...4 as the other poster says. I have always felt that the ES 11 is a beautiful, elegant camera...especially in black body.

05-18-2009, 07:14 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I understand the ES (not the ESII) had some problems with failure of the electronics, and they are near impossible to find on parts cameras today. I own an F - and you do have to keep the lens cap on to turn off the meter - but I have always coveted the ESII.
05-18-2009, 09:18 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I understand the ES (not the ESII) had some problems with failure of the electronics, and they are near impossible to find on parts cameras today. I own an F - and you do have to keep the lens cap on to turn off the meter - but I have always coveted the ESII.
Pentax must of got the electronics problems fixed with the ES 11 as mine is still going strong after 34 years.

I've always considered the ES 11 to be the last in the line of the Spotmatic...even though it was an electronic version.

I note that you have a K2DMD. I bought my ES 11, new in 1975...I've often wondered if I should of held out for a bit longer and bought a K2 instead...more more mechanical speeds than it's predecessor the ES 11 and of course the K Bayonet mount.

I guess the grass is always greener .
05-18-2009, 11:39 PM   #7

Original Poster
so which means that ES is not worth a go compare to Spotmatic F?
what i like the ES is it comes with 3 Asahi Lenses in total package.

where else spotmatic F just a tamron 28mm wideangle lens but this unit still in the box and quite good condition.

both around the same price...

05-19-2009, 03:50 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Pentax must of got the electronics problems fixed with the ES 11 as mine is still going strong after 34 years. >>>

That's the story - ESII is a classic Pentax. I think I read it on AOHC website.

You have done well with the ESII - why second guess - just get a K2 now and send it to Eric - $165 all-in.

The K2 DMD is new to me.

Running a roll of TX-400 through the DMD now - comparing same shot with my settings vs. Automatic stepless shutter.
05-20-2009, 06:07 AM   #9

Original Poster
oh well i've got to pass the ES anyway, now waiting for Spotmatic F
I'm a bit new in film slr still exploring with my SP... thanks for the advice guys.
05-20-2009, 09:51 AM   #10
Pentaxian

That's the story - ESII is a classic Pentax. I think I read it on AOHC website.

You have done well with the ESII - why second guess - just get a K2 now and send it to Eric - $165 all-in.

The K2 DMD is new to me.

Running a roll of TX-400 through the DMD now - comparing same shot with my settings vs. Automatic stepless shutter.
You know I'd like to get a nice K2, or even better a K2DMD like yours and an LX...then an MX...then a ....you get the idea..

I've got a fair number of cameras in my collection....and I have a K10D, then last month bought a KM (K2000 in the States)...and then a bunch of Pentax lenses, etc.

My wife is very tolerant but I can only push the envelope so much...

But a black K2 or K2DMD...boy that would be something. I'd love to have one or the other...or even better...both !
05-20-2009, 10:58 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
You know I'd like to get a nice K2, or even better a K2DMD like yours and an LX...then an MX...then a ....you get the idea..

I've got a fair number of cameras in my collection....and I have a K10D, then last month bought a KM (K2000 in the States)...and then a bunch of Pentax lenses, etc.

My wife is very tolerant but I can only push the envelope so much...

But a black K2 or K2DMD...boy that would be something. I'd love to have one or the other...or even better...both !
Well, if you were asking, not just sharing - you'd get the "cold, dead hands" response.
05-20-2009, 01:05 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Well, if you were asking, not just sharing - you'd get the "cold, dead hands" response.
I know what you mean...I couldn't bear to give up any of my old Pentaxes.
05-26-2009, 02:19 AM   #13
Site Supporter

I was under the impression that it was the original Electro Spotmatic that had the problems with the electronics. I thought the biggest issue with the ES was the 6-volt battery.

05-26-2009, 02:47 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I was under the impression that it was the original Electro Spotmatic that had the problems with the electronics. I thought the biggest issue with the ES was the 6-volt battery.

One of the issues with the battery was that it was so honking huge they had to leave off a self-timer in order to make room for it. With the ESII they had the bright idea to split the 6 volts among four LR44 batteries and move them to the bottom of the lens mount, making room for reinstating the self-timer.

Not sure if the ES had viewfinder blinds or not, but that is one of the best features of the ESII. Makes it a champ for tripod work.
05-26-2009, 06:08 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
You could be correct. I read that on a thread here - maybe I can find it - but thayt is why I said, "I understand . . ."