Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2009, 07:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

MZ-M Troubleshooting help

I recently got an MZ-M from a fellow member here on the forums and after having several rolls developed, I had a line running through most of my prints. I had a poke around the forums and found several threads pertaining to dirt and debris in the takeup spool (if that's the right word). I gave the internals the best cleaning I could (compressed air with a bit of poking with a brush, avoiding the shutter), but I don't know if I actually got the debris out.

What I did was I used an expired roll of film, shot a few frames, and then popped open the back, and examined the film under bright light. However, due to the emulsion still present on the film, I was unable to determine if I got rid of the culprit. My question is: Is there something around the house I can use to wash the emulsion off? I'm using some expired C-41 film that came with a camera I bought off of ebay to do my tests.

05-19-2009, 08:12 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might want to read this thread too. I had/have the same problem, but it's not camera related it's process related.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/60658-cant-figu...re-coming.html
05-19-2009, 08:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No, it's not like that; it's a line that runs down the strip of film. It also lines up very nicely with one of the rollers that guide the film into the takeup spool.

Plus, I had these two rolls developed at two different locations and the line came on both films, and behaved the exact same way.
05-19-2009, 08:24 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Is the line on the emulsion (matte) or on the base (shiny) side

EMULSION SIDE: with no film in use your finger to detect if any of the rollers is dirty.
If it is, clean it and it should be OK.

BASE SIDE: Do the same for the pressure-plate and clean it.

05-19-2009, 08:24 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Ok, then check for burs on the spool. May be a nick in the plastic.
05-19-2009, 08:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've already worked out that the rollers are the cause, as I troubleshooted it that far, and gave the camera a thorough cleaning. My main question is: without taking the film to a lab and paying to have it deveoped, is there some household chemical I can use to simply wash off the emulsion exposing the clear plastic?
05-19-2009, 09:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Slight update. Tried alcohol, didn't work. Tried peroxide, didn't work. Tried Mr. Clean, didn't work. Tried bleach, and what do you know, the film is cleaned off completely! In fact the plastic underneath is a clear plastic... Although, I don't know if that's from the bleach... I've got the film hanging out to dry, so I'll know in a few hours if I got rid of the culprit.
05-20-2009, 04:16 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Fixer is better than bleach, since it keeps the emulsion and allows you to see sratches on the emulsion side
bleach just strips the emulsion away

05-20-2009, 09:01 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So then, I need some C41 fixer then... It's be cheaper just to get the negs developed... Oh well, it was an interesting idea...
05-22-2009, 12:57 AM   #10
Pentaxian

BW Fixer works as well, and no it is not cheaper to get your negs developed
prints is a different tune though
05-22-2009, 06:16 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmm... Perhaps a trip to the local camera depot would be in order...

Still it was a neat little escapade. Nice to know that bleach will quickly destroy negatives...

Besides, I thought it (whatever it was that was leaving the line) was actually gouging the plastic that the emulsion is set upon as the scratch was quite significant.

Still thanks for the help!