2CR5
Battery grip/pack
AA battery grip
Size (W x H x D)
157 x 99 x 63.5 mm
Weight
685 g
Comment
Pentax reintroduced autofocus with this model and the line of 'F' lenses. Contrary to the ME F, Pentax now placed the autofocus motor in the body.
Program modes: Normal, Action, Depth of field.
Special accessory: Interval data back

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 

Last edited by Ole; 05-06-2010 at 10:23 PM.
11-02-2010, 03:04 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax SFX/SF1 Camera Review

Pros P, Av, Tv, M, X, & B!
Cons Slightly slippery grip.
Rating 8
Price (U.S. Dollars) 150, including insurance, packaging, and postage, from the UK!
Years Owned 1 day!

I can recommend this camera: Yes

Value, Features, Performance & Size
The SFX is a close to 25 years old powered film camera design - thus no need for a winder - looking like an Olympus E-P2, but with an immense, amazing, viewfinder on top, which also incorporates the flash and the unusually big display (I told you it is big, didn't I?).

The camera is about half an inch wider than my K-7, otherwise about the same measurements (slightly beefier grip), and half an ounce heavier. The menu choices, and options, are like a simplified DSLR, but a Pentax DSLR owner feels immediately at home, except for the arrangement of buttons and knobs, which is totally different, except for the shutter release (no four-way button, no thumb - or index finger - wheel, and so on).

Feels very robust, if slightly slippery (no rubber pads, or similar, to improve the grip).

Camera Review
This is a stub!

Got mine yesterday, but first impressions are: Really nice viewfinder, nice display (on top of the viewfinder!), about the size, and weight of a K-7, but more oblong (like a Olympus PEN E-P2, but with an immense viewfinder on top)!

Came with a SMC F 35-70 zoom, which also includes a macro setting - great little lens, at least when tried on my K-x! Users here seem to agree!

Seems to like all my lenses: The DA 21, 40 & 18-55 (even if the 18-55 vignettes a bit in the wide end), the FA 50/1.4, the Tamron 90, 10-24, & 70-200/2.8 (slight vignetting at the wide end with the 10-24), but the Sigma 120-400 only in manual :-)!

Weather abysmal, so as yet no film used!
03-20-2011, 10:38 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax SFX/SF1 Camera Review

Pros Beefy Grip, Off-Center Hot Shoe, AF Assist Beam, Hip 80's Styling
Cons A tad on the heavy side, 2CR5's are Expensive
Rating 8
Price (U.S. Dollars) $15
Years Owned About a month.

I can recommend this camera: Yes

Value, Features, Performance & Size
The SF1 is a huge bargain on the used market currently. It has an efficient AF assist beam built-in, which the MZ/ZX and some PZ cameras lack. In comparison to the K10D it has a similar sized grip, is about the same height, is maybe 4cm wider, and they are both about the same weight. Inside the viewfinder around the green hexagon are two arrows that work with the Focus Indicator to tell you which way to turn the focus ring (on lenses that follow the Pentax standard).

Camera Review
What I Like: The AF assist works wonders in bringing the old AF system up to speed. The AF is actually quieter than my K10D and ZX-5n. The SF1 might take a little longer, but it hunts as much as the -5n; the K10D's cross-sensors dominate here. The balance of the camera is perfect, with a flash mounted it is still great (thanks to the off-prism hot shoe). The slider switches are simple and easy to use. I actually like them, being a SuperProgram guy I find it easier than turning dials. I enjoy the funky 80's design, the squared off edges are saucy. Not as noisy of a camera as I expected it to be, actually is rather quiet. Overall it feels like a high quality Pentax camera that I am glad I bought. I absolutely adore the CENTIC display on top of the prism, it weirdly stays on even when the camera is off so you always know what mode/settings you are in. One interesting thing I noted is that the shutter release is designed to have a built-in "soft release." Your finger rests between two ridges perfectly over the button.

What I Disliked: It uses a 2CR5 battery, they are $15! (Manual says it will do 25-30 24-exp rolls with 50% flash usage.) However, unlike the PZ-series, there is a AA grip available. There is no multi-segment mode or spot meter. Like most film SLR's there is no user control for aperture, no manual or Av modes with DA/FA J lenses. The ML (AE-L) button must be held down or you must press it while pressing the shutter halfway. This makes your grasp awkward compared to the ZX-5n and K10D. I find the on/off switch disorientating after being used to flicking a dial around a shutter release (ZX-5n/K10D). There is no depth-of-field preview, although some might not find it necessary. The switch for AF-S, AF-C, and MF has a really annoying button to engage MF mode that I find requires two hands; very annoying when not using quick-shift lenses and wanting to retract your lenses for travel. Something that keeps bugging me every time I use this camera is the lack of an aperture readout. Compound this with the lack of a DoF preview and in P mode you have no idea what aperture/DoF to expect unless you remove your eye and look at the CENTIC screen. The film rewind is LOUD and takes quite a long, battery-sucking time.

Last edited by FlannelSpoon; 04-25-2011 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Used the camera more
Closed Thread