Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2009, 07:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thank youfilm forum!

Well I have to thank everybody that post in this forum - you guys saved me a bunch of money
If I had not gotten the "film bug" and spent a very reasonable amount of money in various film bodies (LX,MX,K2,..), films, CLA and a couple of scanners, I would probably be torturing myself with getting the new K7 (100% viewfinder, better AF) for my dear FA Ltd. Instead I can ignore the threads and my only anxiety is on what date my two newly acquired LX will be coming back from Eric's workshop

Cheers,

Luc

05-24-2009, 06:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

i kind of feel the same way, it's great there's all this interesting stuff out but i'd rather be changing my "sensor" every 36 frames seeing as there are so many interesting types of film to use.

i really don't have any complaints about the Pentax film bodies i'm using and think they're great in every way.
05-24-2009, 06:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
i kind of feel the same way, it's great there's all this interesting stuff out but i'd rather be changing my "sensor" every 36 frames seeing as there are so many interesting types of film to use.

i really don't have any complaints about the Pentax film bodies i'm using and think they're great in every way.
I agree. While like my DSLR's, I simply enjoy shooting film more. As I said in another thread, I get flack over it, but I don't care. I also agree that I love using the different types of films and seeing what I get. Most of the time good but sometimes bad. It is all fun.
05-25-2009, 03:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've gotten to where I use digital at work (not for work)....in other words, my daily farting around shooting. And I use it for things like dance performances or any other event that is going to involve a lot of shooting and somebody waiting for and having expectations of the output.

But on my days off I more often than not just leave the digital at home and take a film camera (or two...or three) with me.

I'm sick and tired of chasing after the latest technological innovation when I already don't make use of the bulk of the features on the K20D that I already have. All I need from it 90% of the time is Av mode for my Takumars. M mode suffices for events, slow shutter, and strobist shots. LiveView is very handy for waterfalls and whatnot, but I could live without it if I had to.

05-25-2009, 04:56 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
I'm sick and tired of chasing after the latest technological innovation when I already don't make use of the bulk of the features on the K20D that I already have. All I need from it 90% of the time is Av mode for my Takumars. M mode suffices for events, slow shutter, and strobist shots. LiveView is very handy for waterfalls and whatnot, but I could live without it if I had to.
I agree, you’re not going to see any K20Ds in use 30 to 40 years from now, like you do with Spotmatics or any “K” series film cameras.

Digital cameras will be unfixable after about 10 years from their release date. They are not just cameras anymore, but “Consumer Electronic” items. Which means they have a shelf life of your average CD player or TV and you are expected to get a new one every 3 to 5 years to keep up with the technology changes.
05-25-2009, 07:08 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For the price of the latest digital technology . . .

For the price of a new digital body and a few DA* lenses I have bags of toys - each with its own personality and each a joy to use.

I could make do with less - or I could sell everything but the KX, buy a K7 and the three FA Limiteds, and probably have just as much fun - but it would be a different game.

I like this game.

FWIW, I use the K10D and FA lenses when I need the autofocus and auto metering. I use the manual lenses on the digital body in manual to learn to think about my images. I set the camera rather than the camera setting me - this improves my film photography dramatically.
05-25-2009, 09:19 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
For the price of a new digital body and a few DA* lenses I have bags of toys - each with its own personality and each a joy to use.

I could make do with less - or I could sell everything but the KX,
Yes those old K series lenses and bodies do have their own unique personalities!!
(More than most people )

You must be like me and got your KX when it was available from 75-77.
So yes I will also never sell mine.

05-25-2009, 10:09 PM   #8
Forum Member

on one hand, it's a little unfortunate that there are no new film products out and everything has to be bought on the second hand market.

on the other hand, investing in a "mature" industry is nice for other reasons. the choices i make are based on preference, rather than the newest technology. It's nice not having to worry about upgrading to the next greatest thing. It's also nicer on the wallet (for now)...

EDIT: So if it wasn't for this wonderful forum, i might not have had the enjoyment of experiencing film. Yes, thank you film forum!
05-25-2009, 10:47 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aruxaru Quote

EDIT: So if it wasn't for this wonderful forum, i might not have had the enjoyment of experiencing film. Yes, thank you film forum!
Same here
05-25-2009, 11:02 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by aruxaru Quote
on one hand, it's a little unfortunate that there are no new film products out and everything has to be bought on the second hand market.

If you mean that there may be a shortage of stuff to explore (since no new stuff is coming out), don't worry, there's no shortage of old stuff to try -even if you live to a hundred!.

Incidentally, some new stuff does come out: have you tried Kodak Ektar 100 yet?
05-25-2009, 11:29 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Here is a part of a conversation I was having with a fellow in a UK forum. Take it for what it is worth.

QuoteQuote:
Originally Posted by jgredline View Post
Steve, I am surprised to read this. Other than Ektar 100, What else has been developed. Ektar by the way seems like a huge step backwards.
His Answer.
QuoteQuote:
''I think Ektar is a step forwards. Some people are considering it to be like a negative version of Kodachrome. Saturated colours (but not as saturated as Velvia) which can be processed almost anywhere.

Fuji stopped making Velvia a few years ago but due to a huge demand, they re-formulated it to replace an ingredient which they could no longer source and re-introduced it.

Ilford/Harman have produced a couple of black and white films under the Kentmere brand and re-introduced SFX200, their infra red film, following demand after they stopped making it.

There have also been new films and papers from from Rollei, Forte, Adox and others.

Fuji especially seem to be comitted to film, commisioning the design of a new 6x7 format 120 film camera which went on sale recently. This was shown as a mock up at trade shows a couple of years ago and whilst a lot of people wished it would become a reality, no one really thought it would happen. But again, due to demand, it is now available.

Steve.''
05-25-2009, 11:43 PM   #12
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Banjo Quote

Incidentally, some new stuff does come out: have you tried Kodak Ektar 100 yet?
Hehe yea I have, actually. I was making a general blanket statment, but cheers!

And yes, I do spend alot of time exploring fleabay and local craigslist for good deals!

Btw, jgredline, out of curiosity, how do u see ektar as a step backwards? (i didn't catch it in the other posts)
05-26-2009, 12:29 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
If I had not gotten the "film bug" and spent a very reasonable amount of money in various film bodies (LX,MX,K2,..)
That's a first for me - seeing "reasonable amount of money" and "LX" in the same sentence...

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
But on my days off I more often than not just leave the digital at home and take a film camera (or two...or three) with me.
Same here - just yesterday I got myself lost (intentionally) on some mountain logging roads - just me and my ME Super w/Tri-X and ZX-M w/Sensia. Found a beautiful waterfall and some wonderful vistas, not to mention an endless source of macro shots. Using digital in such an environment just seems wrong.
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I'm sick and tired of chasing after the latest technological innovation when I already don't make use of the bulk of the features on the K20D that I already have.
Same here. Heck, I don't even use all the features on some of my film bodies!

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I agree, you’re not going to see any K20Ds in use 30 to 40 years from now, like you do with Spotmatics or any “K” series film cameras.
Ain't that the truth! Likewise, the current crop of lenses will be obsolete before long - that's why I can't bring myself to sell any Takumars, Ks, Ms, or FAs. They'll still be usable long after I'm gone - not so with DAs.
05-26-2009, 04:04 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote

You must be like me and got your KX when it was available from 75-77.
My graduation present from college
05-26-2009, 05:09 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Arigato, Kobayashi-san...

That new Fuji 6x7 folding rangefinder camera is actually made by Cosina,
about the only company with the courage to make film cameras nowadays.

Priced at $2250 each it will be but a boutique item. But we can all dream...

Chris