Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2009, 12:41 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
People love it or hate it. Few are neutral about it.
I'm totally neutral, actually. I wouldn't buy a K1000 unless I found it very cheap, but if I was stranded on that old desert island with only that camera, I'm sure I would enjoy using it, appreciate the rugged build, and get some good pictures with it. It's a good camera, it's just not the best alternative with so many choices, you know? To me, it's like the Pentax MV or MG -- sure, I could appreciate and use those bodies as well, but why choose them in 2009 when there are ME's and MX's?

05-29-2009, 06:11 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I'm glad to see the ground swell for the crippled plastic ones - I suppose there are worse than my XZ-10!

The K1000 never has appealed to me for much the same reasons as have been put forth here - with the addition that I see it as a 'contemporary' camera and thus hold it to a different standard. I'm perfectly happy - and love - the SP1000 which is essentially the same camera, only in screw mount, with the old Spotmatic lines, and 'pre-contemporary' to my camera enthusiasm. All of which - to me - make the SP1000 an entirely different proposition.
05-29-2009, 06:59 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven't used any of the plastic pentaxes (i.e. all those various lower end AFs). As such, that maybe why I don't have any specific cameras I hate. While I like the K1000, I would avoid the plastic bottom ones.
05-29-2009, 07:59 AM   #19
Veteran Member

My pick for least favorite would be the ME. No manual mode or control of shutter speed whatsoever. Behind that is the ZX-30 - it won't function with non-A lenses (what was Pentax thinking?)

On the other hand, the ME Super is near the top of my list of favorites. If it wasn't for that stupid little white lock button, it would be an easy pick for #1.

I would love to try out an MZ-S if the price ever drops out of the stratosphere...

05-29-2009, 08:36 AM   #20
Inactive Account

If I have to choose my least favorite among the cameras I've used, it would be the K1000. That doesn't mean that I don't like the camera, it's just the least favorite...the last one I would pick up to shoot with. I've never used anything past the LX so I can't comment on the later models although I will say that anything between the LX and the K100D Super holds no interest for me.

CW
05-29-2009, 08:56 AM   #21
Banned

K1000 without a doubt. never understood the appeal, and it never felt right. just 'bleh'. I can't really put my finger on it. I was so uninspired by it that I gave mine away (to charity) and mine was a $100 custom.
05-29-2009, 09:16 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
K1000 without a doubt. never understood the appeal, and it never felt right. just 'bleh'. I can't really put my finger on it. I was so uninspired by it that I gave mine away (to charity) and mine was a $100 custom.
Hey Seamuis, glad to see ya. Where have you been? You have been missed.

The K1000 is truly a love it or hate it.

05-29-2009, 09:58 AM   #23
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Hey Seamuis, glad to see ya. Where have you been? You have been missed.

The K1000 is truly a love it or hate it.
busy (really busy) with work. had a computer failure, so I had to upgrade (switched to a notebook) and beyond that any free time has been spent out and about with a camera in hand (when it hasn't been raining) me, missed? that's flattering.

as for the K1000. I loved the look of mine (this was her if anyone remembers, I know some will) but I just never enjoyed using it.

Last edited by séamuis; 05-29-2009 at 10:07 AM.
05-29-2009, 10:05 AM   #24

I haven't seen a camera that I didn't like
05-29-2009, 10:06 AM   #25
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by cousinsane Quote
I haven't seen a camera that I didn't like

seen and used are two different things.
05-29-2009, 10:14 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Least favorite that I owned was a zx-50. What a pos. It didn't work with any of my old lenses, and it comitted suicide after ~ 15 rolls of film. I thought it was junk the day I bought it and I did it anyway. What the heck was I thinking? If the pentax dslr's were built like that thing I would have switched brands.

Other than the zx-60 I guess my least favorite that I haven't owned would be the a-3000. It always seemed like the a-3000 was Pentax trying to be Canon and failing miserably at it. If you really stare at it you will realize it really does not look like any other Pentax.
05-29-2009, 10:47 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom in Delaware Quote
Jeez, guys, you are pretty much talking me out of a K1000. I was going to pick one up to try it out. Seems like it is pretty much a Spotmatic F with a K mount. Is that a wrong assumption? No wait, I just got done looking at the K1000 entry in "Japanese 35mm SLR Cameras, A Comprehensive Data Guide," and th eK1000 doesn't appear to have a self-timer or a DOF preview. Wow, that's a really basic camera.
By all means if you want one, get a K1000, but . .

Consider a KX or KM instead, get it CLA'ed by Eric and you are good for 20 years.

2001 Survey of PDML Members - The "Best" Pentax Cameras - See the last entry K1000 is considered one of the BEST, but . . .

1) A KX is superior in feature set to a K1000, and every bit as much a learning tool. It just cost more in the 70's.

2) The K1000 was a really basic camera for 29 years that schools could purchase and students could knock around a bit. My daughter's Yearbook had 10 of them and they replaced 2 each year, until they converted to digital to save processing expense.

She bought one of the discards (actually an SE) but eventually started using my KX when an assignment required a self-timer to take a self-portrait. She then took to it college and on a 6 week Winter Term photography camp/class at Ghost Ranch in Abiquiu, NM - where Ansel Adams once shot.

She swears it is the best 35mm camera ever made for black and white landscape.

Everything Pentax being good, relative to each other, the KX is my favorite - the K1000 is less appealing to me.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-30-2009 at 01:41 PM.
05-29-2009, 04:09 PM   #28
Veteran Member

DOF button! Such luxury!

With my K1000 I need to release the lens, and turn it about 10° to get DOF! And I didn't know any better!

Actually, then next camera i bought after my K1000, I made sure it had a DOF button.
05-29-2009, 06:51 PM   #29

Some of the lower model SLRs in the final days of the film camera were pretty dismal compared to earlier efforts but my vote goes to that most venerable of all Pentax cameras, the K1000.

It's an old Spotmatic with a K-mount and open-aperture metering. It lacks the one feature ALL modern cameras must have in order to be in my kit - a self-timer. Heck, even my ancient 50s vintage rangefinder 35s have a self-timer.

It's not a bad camera but it's not one I enjoy using.
05-30-2009, 09:20 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Never particularly cared for the K1000... last time I used one, I just was so used to Canon FT's and TLs and FTbs (with their stupendously-handy stopdown levers) that the lack of one of any kind just broke up my flow when using the K1000, quality items that they are. 'Uncluttered' viewfinders aren't really my concern, either: I've never had a problem tuning out the busiest of finder views. Hardly qualifies as a 'least favorite,' though.

Not counting the plastickey ones, I think my least favorite are such ones as the MV and all: no manual control is just such a deal-breaker.