Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2009, 12:32 PM   #46
Veteran Member

My least favorite(s) are more of a class than an individual

All the ones that lack complete manual exposure control, e.g. A3000, MV/V1/G/E, and the vast majority of the autofocus film bodies, most of which represented Pentax's downhill period when they did too much "bottom feeding" and gave up on higher end cameras.

06-17-2009, 08:21 AM   #47
Veteran Member

My least favorite is my ZX-M. I bought it new some years back (during my time off from photography)as an insurance policy; simply to have another body to use with my lenses, as Pentax was no longer making new film bodies. Bought it, stuck it in the bag with the other equipment and never used it. A few years later I started up with digital equipment and in the course of sorting through all of my lenses and other stuff, gave it a spin. What I don't like about it, is that it feels like a toy. The last film body that I was using was a Super Program with a winder attached;this is like a piece of machinery compared to the ZX-M. The ZX-M feels small and plastic, like something that I would get for one of my grandchildren to play with. I've used it with the 16mm Zenitar and that was sorta fun, but it still felt weird. Not my favorite thing........
06-17-2009, 03:29 PM   #48

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Why? Panoramic mode + FA 35 / DA 10-17 is love

Plus the ZX (other than M, 3, 5 and 5n) has the ability to use DA lenses...

I haven't tried all that many Pentax films. So far I've liked all of them!
If I'm right that you suggest the ZX/MZ-5n can't use DA lenses, I can say that's a mistake, as I know it definitely can use them.
And in answer to the main question... I can't decide which is my least favourite. I don't own any bad ones (in my opinion!)
06-17-2009, 04:21 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spongefingers Quote
If I'm right that you suggest the ZX/MZ-5n can't use DA lenses, I can say that's a mistake, as I know it definitely can use them.
And in answer to the main question... I can't decide which is my least favourite. I don't own any bad ones (in my opinion!)
What I mean is that the 5n can't control aperture of the DA lenses. CMIIW, though.

06-17-2009, 04:28 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I can't decide which is my least favourite
Love your avatar!
06-17-2009, 04:44 PM   #51

What I mean is that the 5n can't control aperture of the DA lenses. CMIIW, though.
Oh yeah, just remembered that I just meant that they meter and focus properly. I'm just used to using Tv only on a 5n.

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Love your avatar!
Thanks, I'm thinking of doing more of those little camera avatars. Maybe I should start a thread asking people which ones they'd like to see. Good idea?
06-17-2009, 04:57 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Thanks, I'm thinking of doing more of those little camera avatars. Maybe I should start a thread asking people which ones they'd like to see. Good idea?
Good idea!

06-17-2009, 05:50 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Oh yeah, just remembered that I just meant that they meter and focus properly. I'm just used to using Tv only on a 5n.

I actualy didn't realize they can be used in Tv mode, although that makes sense considering DA lenses are "stuck" on A. Good info for people that likes Tv mode (personally stuck at Av mode myself)

I'd like K100D and ZX-L in your avatar styles!
06-18-2009, 12:19 PM   #54
Veteran Member

I've collected quite a few K-mount bodies and the few that are so unappealing that I will likely never bother with are the A3/A3000 and the MV.

The ungainly A3/A3000 lacks manual mode, shows only shutter speeds 30-1000 in one-stop incements in the viewfinder, and features a single exposure comp button that can't do anything but +1.5EV. Also features a mere 1/60 flash sync speed.

The MV not only lacks a manual mode but also forces you to use the main ISO dial for exposure comp, AE-L, self timer, DoF preview, and any indication of what shutter speed is in use. MV1 isn't much better, it adds the self timer.

Agree with other posters that some of the low-spec ZX/MZ bodies like MZ-60 and MZ-50 are chintsy and toy-like...though the ZX-L & MZ-5n seem quite nice even if they seem somewhat lacking in durability as well. MZ-M would be kind of like the -5n but it's so light that it feels quite unsubstantial. It's too bad they didn't give it a good viewfinder and a spotmeter.
06-18-2009, 12:39 PM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can hear the screaming now

No offence to all those who like the camera, and I have to admit, from a specification point of view it is a fine camera, but the MX is just too damm small.

ALthough it is one of the lightest SLRs ever made, it is so small it is hard for me to hold onto and feels pounds heavier than my KX.

It is the ultimate in what I call the M disease. (M is for miniscule) I like'em big
06-18-2009, 12:47 PM   #56
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
No offence to all those who like the camera, and I have to admit, from a specification point of view it is a fine camera, but the MX is just too damm small.

ALthough it is one of the lightest SLRs ever made, it is so small it is hard for me to hold onto and feels pounds heavier than my KX.

It is the ultimate in what I call the M disease. (M is for miniscule) I like'em big
O.k. That's it. Pick dueling pistols at 20 paces, swords or nerf bats.

06-18-2009, 03:25 PM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One of these has made life with big hands and a small MX far more bearable:

Pentax grips

Chris
06-19-2009, 03:02 AM   #58

I actualy didn't realize they can be used in Tv mode, although that makes sense considering DA lenses are "stuck" on A. Good info for people that likes Tv mode (personally stuck at Av mode myself)

I'd like K100D and ZX-L in your avatar styles!
Got you that ZX-L you wanted...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/everything-else/63826-painted-pixel-penta...ilopixels.html
06-22-2009, 11:00 AM   #59
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by amicah22 Quote
zx-60, plastic and will not work with any manual lenses, I still keep it because its the only k-mount film camera I have after my ks super dies. I did buy a battery grip for 7 dollars at ritz though, at least it does not feel as cheap now.
Glad I never got that one. Probably a top contender for sucks most.

The K1000 is more spartan than most screw mounts. kind of like a Zenit in K mount. That's it's charm...but it's rather limiting. That Spotmatics were made for the 1.35 v battery...is a negative. They do have a nice feel,but I prefer my Mamiya. Chinon + Fujica also took M42 further.

Agree on the Super Program. If it had the ME-Super's LEDs rather than that LCD inside...could be great. Was the early TTL flash Pentax. The MV was pretty weak.

Could be worse....I have a Maxxum 3000i i'm reselling.....plastic,rather cheesy, no pop up flash or TTL, uses a high $ lithium cell, is PROGRAM only with just 2 modes.....won't even do aperture priority. It has no exposure compensation,no DOF,no exposure lock.....nuthin'...not even an aperture ring on the lens. Just a point + shoot with removable lens and fewer features than the average point+ shoot. By comparison, a PZ-10 is downright elegant.
06-22-2009, 01:14 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
One of these has made life with big hands and a small MX far more bearable:

Pentax grips

Chris
Chris, I guess you own one of these. A little shocking that the grip costs as much as these cameras! Anyway, in search of more feedback on these grips...am I right that the base is aluminum but the grip is plastic? Are they lightweight, comfortable, interfere with camera control operation at all?