Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2009, 03:27 AM   #1

Damn, my ME Super is also playing up :(

I read Volco244T's thread about his/her jammed ME Super.
Mine is slightly different failure, so I start a new thread.

My recently acquired ME Super's mirror kicks up but doesn't like to come down.
I have to remove the lens and touch some levers and then it flips back down.
It only happens in Av mode. Okay in manual mode. It is very frustrating.
Is this a common problem with Pentax camera?
I am asking because my very first camera, ME ended up in the bin because this mirror problem.
My Spotmatic F also sufferred the same problem and it too ended up in the bin.
To date I had 4 Pentaxes and 3 had this mirror problem.

How can I fix this, anyone?

05-31-2009, 10:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
All older cameras can be prone to failure of some type. Pentax or otherwise.

The best thing to do is find a body you like, and send it to have a CLA.

Another thing to remember is that often a locked up mirror is just the symptom of the problem. The actual problem can be anywhere in the shutter/mirror box mechanism. It can also be due to the mirror foam degrading over time and needing to be replaced. It turns to sticky sludge, and it will "glue" the mirror in the up position.

In North America THE guy to send your camera to is: Home

Maybe someone in Austalia could recomend a repair service closer?
05-31-2009, 12:53 PM   #3

My old Spotmatic F is acting up but it clearly is due to the mirror bumper foam sticking to the mirror and throwing the whole sequence of events off. I found some info on rehabbing the light seals and mirror bumper at Matt's Classic Cameras. I got the supplies locally and am going to do a Program Plus I just got off of Ebay.
05-31-2009, 06:08 PM   #4

Original Poster
Maybe Pentax cameras and I have some sort of disastrous chemical reaction that puts us off just like me and my ex-gf.
I had/have more than 20 SLRs and none of my Contaxes, Canons, Nikons, Prakticas, and Minoltas had this problem.

Having said that, I still rate the Pentax cameras highly. The SP that still works is a gem. I will CLA the ME Super and if that fails I will get another one.

06-01-2009, 04:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom in Delaware Quote
My old Spotmatic F is acting up but it clearly is due to the mirror bumper foam sticking to the mirror and throwing the whole sequence of events off. I found some info on rehabbing the light seals and mirror bumper at Matt's Classic Cameras. I got the supplies locally and am going to do a Program Plus I just got off of Ebay.
I have a SuperProgram with the same issues... just waiting for a rainy day to install new mirror foam & light seals. Luckily, I won't have to wait long in Oregon...
06-07-2009, 10:50 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
After the first one, replacing film door light seal foam and mirror bump foam is about 30 minuites for old eyes and not too hard. Do it! Costs very little and saves a lot. I got a kit from Goodman and have already repaired 3, and another waiting for me to get up the gumption to get at it. Other problems not so easy. One EB ME Super full of corrosion.

Steve N
06-08-2009, 05:20 AM   #7

Original Poster
I've just secured another ME Super.
This one is not working but in good cosmetic condition. Almost free
I am going to use this as a donor for my other copy and do a CLAT (T for transplant).