Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2009, 12:11 PM   #1

Self-repair for film rewind winder K-1000

Hi,

I have a Pentax K-1000 camera. Recently the film rewind lever stopped working, and it won't rewind my films at all. It seems like it should be a simple problem to fix, does anyone know if it's possible to fix this yourself?

Thank you!

Candybuther

06-04-2009, 12:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Can you provide more details on "stopped working." Is it broken off? What happens when you turn the rewind level?

The mechanism is very simple.

Now do this: open the back of the camera, use a stick (e.g. a small screwdriver) in the slot of the film winder to prevent it from turning, turn the film rewind level counterclockwise (opposite the direction as when you're rewinding the film). The rewind level should come loose (DON'T CLOSE THE BACK OF THE CAMERA).
06-04-2009, 02:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My ME Super has some problem w/ the winder knob. It winds film okay, but it doesn't come back on its own. I have to pull (or you can call it push) it back so to wind another frame.

Wonder if this would be an easy fix? If so, any tips?

Many thanks.
07-11-2009, 07:40 PM   #4

I did just what soldbear adviced against. I closed a camera's back without having the rewind crank in place. Now. How do I open it?

07-11-2009, 08:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kanirasta Quote
I did just what soldbear adviced against. I closed a camera's back without having the rewind crank in place. Now. How do I open it?
I don't have my film cameras to check, but I think you can stick a flathead screwdriver between the body and back where the latch would be and push it up (or down).

I may be wrong though. My film bodies are off with Eric for some CLA. Just don't do more damage with this method.
07-12-2009, 07:55 AM   #6

I haven't tried putting a screwdriver between the body and latch -- might work, just be careful not to scratch or bend anything.

If you can still see the threaded part of the rewind shaft (where the rewind knob screws on to) you can just use some small pliers/tweezers/whatever to pull it back up, and then pull it up enough to open the back.

If you totally lost that in the body, you can make a makeshift opener with a paper clip. Just give it a short 90 degree bend on one end that you can fit down the rewind shaft hole and move it around while pulling up -- you'll be able to find the latch mechanism eventually.