Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2009, 09:47 PM   #1

K1000 metering question

Hey all, I just got my K1000 and started shooting a roll of 400 speed b&w. However I noticed that the shutter speeds seemed much slower than I would expect. I did a test with the same lens on my K20D set to 400 ISO, pointing at the same illuminated wall, and there was a huge difference between the shutter speeds.

I did set the K1000 to Bulb and ASA 100 and the needle read just over the center. Does this mean I need a new battery (perhaps even newer than the "new" one the ebay auction claimed it had), and might that be the cause of what I noticed? Keep in mind I'm new to Film I'm not absolutely sure I'm allowed to compare film ISO to digital ISO.

06-05-2009, 09:58 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You should see meter deflection with changing light conditions. You then adjust your aperture and or shutter speed according. The meter is just a meter and does not directly effect the shutter speed. You do that based on the meter's reading. Th meter should be towards the bottom when the image is going to be under exposed or towards the top when it is going to be over exposed and in the middle for correct exposure.

As far as comparison to your digital, you should really have the iso, shutter speed and aperture the same on both to compare them. However, you really can't go by sound.

Edit: The K1000's meter and operation is straight forward. It is completely manual but intuitive. That is the secrete behind its success.
06-05-2009, 10:10 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
You should see meter deflection with changing light conditions. You then adjust your aperture and or shutter speed according. The meter is just a meter and does not directly effect the shutter speed. You do that based on the meter's reading. Th meter should be towards the bottom when the image is going to be under exposed or towards the top when it is going to be over exposed and in the middle for correct exposure.

As far as comparison to your digital, you should really have the iso, shutter speed and aperture the same on both to compare them. However, you really can't go by sound.

Edit: The K1000's meter and operation is straight forward. It is completely manual but intuitive. That is the secrete behind its success.
I think I understand you, I am doing all that. ASA on the K1000 is set to 400 as well. I am setting my M 50 1.7 wide open, then adjusting the shutter speed until the needle is centered. That shutter speed number is very much "slower" (say, 1/8 sec) than what the K20 suggests for the same ISO, lens, aperture and subject (a plain, evenly lit wall, and say 1/80 sec).

So I'm worried that the meter doesn't have enough juice and thus may be tricking me into overexposing (from reading the manual and some other posts it seems the battery may indeed be dying).

Last edited by ILoveVerdi; 06-05-2009 at 10:12 PM. Reason: clarity
06-05-2009, 10:15 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ILoveVerdi Quote
I think I understand you, I am doing all that. ASA on the K1000 is set to 400 as well. I am setting my M 50 1.7 wide open, then adjusting the shutter speed until the needle is centered. That shutter speed is very much slower than what the K20 suggests for the same ISO, lens, aperture and subject (a plain, evenly lit wall).

So I'm worried that the meter doesn't have enough juice and thus may be tricking me into overexposing (from reading the manual and some other posts it seems the battery may indeed be dying).
You don't have to set your lens wide open unless you need that aperture. The K1000 and other k-mount cameras use open metering. In other words, the aperture stops down when the shutter fires. Do you have a new battery in it? There is a possibility that the meter is out of calibration as well.

06-05-2009, 10:20 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
You don't have to set your lens wide open unless you need that aperture. The K1000 and other k-mount cameras use open metering. In other words, the aperture stops down when the shutter fires. Do you have a new battery in it? There is a possibility that the meter is out of calibration as well.
Well, I chose 1.7 since the K20D's stop-down metering seems most accurate wide open, at least with my voigtlander.

Honestly for manual lenses metering is more convenient on the K1000 because of what you said. I was actually a bit disappointed when I realized there was no constant metering for M lenses on the K20D.

I'll try a new battery tomorrow and see if that helps!
06-05-2009, 10:22 PM   #6
Site Supporter

If you need a manual, you can down load one here.

Pentax K 1000 instruction manual, user manual, PDF manual, free manuals
06-05-2009, 10:26 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ILoveVerdi Quote
Well, I chose 1.7 since the K20D's stop-down metering seems most accurate wide open, at least with my voigtlander.

Honestly for manual lenses metering is more convenient on the K1000 because of what you said. I was actually a bit disappointed when I realized there was no constant metering for M lenses on the K20D.

I'll try a new battery tomorrow and see if that helps!

You don't have to stop down meter with the K1000. You set the aperture and it stops down when the shutter fires. The only exception would be with certain m42 lenses and the m42 adapter.
06-06-2009, 12:16 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Remember that manual lenses will not meter correctly on the K20D wide open. They tend to be more acurate near the middle apertures. It might be that your K20D is under exposing with the manual lens, and the K1000 is correct.

Try using the FA 50 1.4 on both cameras to compair exposure. On the K20D, set the aperture to "A" and dial in your value with the e-dial. On the K1000 use the same lens and match the aperture with the aperture dial.

If the exposures are still far apart, and the battery in the K1000 is fresh, it might be time to get the meter in the K1000 adjusted.

06-06-2009, 06:44 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks, I tried a fresh battery and all seems well now!