Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2009, 11:33 AM   #1

Pentax KM with a stuck shutter?

Hi all! I'm new here, and I'm hoping someone could help me.

I have a chance to buy a KM from a very nice and kind gentleman who's very helpful but unfortunately knows nothing about film cameras. The following are some excerpts from his emails to me (I asked him to check if the shutter fires and film advance is working):

The advance lever appears to be locked, as if the camera needs to be triggered. The small cylindrical button on top right doesn't release it.

The film advance does not appear to work. The take up spool is free to turn so I'm guessing the mechanical connection between the button and the lever is inop.

I assume the small cylindrical button he's referring to is the shutter button. I have no experience repairing cameras and I'm anxious to know if, based on the description given to me by the gentleman, the shutter & film advance lever on the KM is stuck??? IS this problem repairable when I send it for a CLA later?

Thanks in advance, everyone!

Cheers,
-Dani-

06-07-2009, 06:02 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by altair Quote
Hi all! I'm new here, and I'm hoping someone could help me.

I have a chance to buy a KM from a very nice and kind gentleman who's very helpful but unfortunately knows nothing about film cameras. The following are some excerpts from his emails to me (I asked him to check if the shutter fires and film advance is working):

The advance lever appears to be locked, as if the camera needs to be triggered. The small cylindrical button on top right doesn't release it.

The film advance does not appear to work. The take up spool is free to turn so I'm guessing the mechanical connection between the button and the lever is inop.

I assume the small cylindrical button he's referring to is the shutter button. I have no experience repairing cameras and I'm anxious to know if, based on the description given to me by the gentleman, the shutter & film advance lever on the KM is stuck??? IS this problem repairable when I send it for a CLA later?

Thanks in advance, everyone!

Cheers,
-Dani-
I know this is a non-answer reply, but

In a general sense and mechanical camera can be repaired if the parts can be found and for a price. Likely KM parts can be found - but when you combine the price of the camera and the CLA/repair, is that amount of money worth it to you?

you might email this kind of question to Eric Hendrickson at Pentax Camera Repair. He is reviewed in the Camera Repair and Service section on the Forum

Here - Pentax Camera Service
06-08-2009, 07:09 AM   #3
Banned

this could be a very simple fix. but it could not. I dont know how close in design the K series were to the spotmatics but this sounds like a problem that is common with them and can be fixed within a few minutes. if the camera is a decent price it could very well be worth picking up. if it cant be fixed cheap you could possibly turn it around and sell it here. take a look at this link: Manual Focus Lenses :: View topic - Jammed Spotmatic?
06-08-2009, 09:47 AM   #4

Original Poster
Everyone, thanks for your replies & insights. However, I have passed up the opportunity to buy the KM in question...as I figured it'd be too troublesome. I'm not too good with my hands either, so a DIY fix is out of the question. However, I do appreciate all the replies here. Thanks everyone!

06-08-2009, 09:52 AM   #5
Banned

Everyone, thanks for your replies & insights. However, I have passed up the opportunity to buy the KM in question...as I figured it'd be too troublesome. I'm not too good with my hands either, so a DIY fix is out of the question. However, I do appreciate all the replies here. Thanks everyone!
too bad. I have actually fixed three of four spotmatics with the problem I believe that KM has. one I bought for 5 bucks here on the forum marketplace, turned around and sold it for 60. its easier than it looks (if the the K series is similar.) literally takes longer to take the screws out than it does to fix. but if its not for you, fair enough. how much was the asking price?
06-08-2009, 09:57 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
too bad. I have actually fixed three of four spotmatics with the problem I believe that KM has. one I bought for 5 bucks here on the forum marketplace, turned around and sold it for 60. its easier than it looks (if the the K series is similar.) literally takes longer to take the screws out than it does to fix. but if its not for you, fair enough. how much was the asking price?
He was asking USD20 for it...but shipping to my part of the world would cost another USD35 or so...so it'd all total up to 55 bucks....hmmm, now in retrospect, I wonder if I should have bought it...oh well.
06-08-2009, 10:04 AM   #7
Banned

He was asking USD20 for it...but shipping to my part of the world would cost another USD35 or so...so it'd all total up to 55 bucks....hmmm, now in retrospect, I wonder if I should have bought it...oh well.
that's quite the shipping charge. from the US?
06-08-2009, 10:15 AM   #8

Original Poster
Yup from the US to Malaysia

06-08-2009, 10:19 AM   #9
Banned

Yup from the US to Malaysia
a deal just never looks as good once you find out the shipping is more than you paid for the item...
06-08-2009, 10:20 AM   #10

Original Poster
Yeah, tell me about it