Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2009, 03:15 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Clean ME focus screen...

I'm sure this has been discused here some where, but could some one help me. I have a nice ME that had a couple of very small particles and some very fine dust on the focus screen. I took a "Q-tip" and lightly brushed it off. But thirty years or so of super fine dust (invisable until disturbed) smeared a bit and left a wavy apperance, along with cotton lint. The ground glass grabs! So how can I clean it, since the screen is not easily removed for washing?

Thanks Steve N

06-07-2009, 03:52 PM   #2
Forum Member

Uh.. that's cosmetic only... leave it like that. I messed up with one while cleaning up with the softest brush.
06-07-2009, 05:04 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the comeback. Your probably right, just wish it could be made right though. Most of photography is "cosmetic" though.

"Beauty in in the eye of the beholder."

But I am the beholder, when I look through the viewfinder!

Steve N
08-02-2009, 11:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by snkenai Quote
Thanks for the comeback. Your probably right, just wish it could be made right though. Most of photography is "cosmetic" though.

"Beauty in in the eye of the beholder."

But I am the beholder, when I look through the viewfinder!

Steve N
Maybe you can send it in for a clean. I've got a MZ-M with the same problem. Very annoying when looking through the finder.
I took a picture of the view :
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/56949-cba-part-i.html

08-03-2009, 06:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't know if it's the same screen, but I have an ME Super that you can have as a parts camera. It's screen is currently being protected by the mirror which is locked up. Since the camera has some sort of green corrosion coming out of the top plate, I consider it a parts candidate only.
08-03-2009, 06:58 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I think you should just blow the dust (or whatever) from the screen as best as you can and then leave it at that.

Replacing the ME screen yourself is not for the faint at heart. And the camera is so inexpensive these days it does not make economically sense to have the screen cleaned professionally.
08-08-2009, 10:20 PM   #7

The focus screens are notoriously hard to clean, I'm not sure the best procedue -- maybe ultrasonic bath in DI water which would (obviously) require removal.

I learned the hard way (luckily on a junker mv-1) that trying to use isopropyl and a lint-free wipe doesn't work. You can't buff out any marks or residue left behind from whatever cleaning solution you use. So, I'd say the best option is to live with it, or buy another ME for cheap, or change it yourself (which isn't that difficult necessairly, but if you haven't done it before would take way more time than it's worth to just get a new camera).