Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2009, 11:28 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Just picked up on eBay, a lot with:

Honeywell Pentax ES (in working condition w/ minimal wear)
Original manual
Shutter release cable
Vivitar flash
Vivitar 28mm f/2.8 (M02, according to the bestiary, I believe)
SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8
85-210mm tele zoom of some sort
400mm tele lens of some sort (looks huge)
Soligor teleconverter of some sort

At a sweet, sweet price.

06-18-2009, 11:36 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Just picked up on eBay, a lot with:

Honeywell Pentax ES (in working condition w/ minimal wear)
Original manual
Shutter release cable
Vivitar flash
Vivitar 28mm f/2.8 (M02, according to the bestiary, I believe)
SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8
85-210mm tele zoom of some sort
400mm tele lens of some sort (looks huge)
Soligor teleconverter of some sort

At a sweet, sweet price.
Sounds really cool, look forward to seeing some pics.
What kind of 400mm lens is it?
06-18-2009, 11:38 AM   #18
Pentaxian

No clue. I came upon the auction without enough time left to ask. You can see a picture here, though: Auctiva Image Hosting

Looks fairly similar to this one: http://picasaweb.google.com/LightBug505/MamiyaSekor400mmF63#5336706460954258610
06-18-2009, 11:40 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
That black ES looks sexy!

06-18-2009, 12:59 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No clue. I came upon the auction without enough time left to ask. You can see a picture here, though: Auctiva Image Hosting

Looks fairly similar to this one: Picasa Web Albums - jc505 - Mamiya / Seko...
Mamiya made some Soligor lenses. Allied Impex Corporation and Ponder & Best were competing companies importing lenses, cameras and accessories. The Soligor and Miranda brands were owned by Allied Impex at the time while Vivitar was owned by Ponder and Best. They never made anything and as a result they used the same maker a few times to make lenses etc. Tokina also made some of the Soligor lenses. Tokina and Kino made some of the Vivitars.

The tricky part about figuring out who made a paritcular Soligor is they may have had as many as 3 companies making the same model lens for them. keep in mind that Tokina made "clones" for several companies including Vivitar. Mamiya may have made "clones" for Sears, Revuenon, and Ricoh.

Edit: In a nutshell the 400mm f6.3 based on the pic, it could be the Mamiya, Tokina or Soligor made by either.

Allied Impex and Ponder & Best are gone but the Soligor and Vivitar Brands are still around.

Last edited by Blue; 06-18-2009 at 01:08 PM.
06-18-2009, 01:05 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Interesting, thanks for that info.

I guess we'll see in a week or so what's written on the barrel.
06-22-2009, 08:31 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Just to follow up on this, the 400mm f/6.3 is a "PRO" branded lens, probably something really really cheap. Not expecting much out of it.

The 85-210mm is a Quantaray... no clue who actually made it. Looks like a lot of companies made/marketed similarly spec'd M42 lenses. Might be a Tamron.

The ES looks great, but there's no battery in it, so I don't know 100% for sure that the meter works.
06-22-2009, 08:47 AM   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just to follow up on this, the 400mm f/6.3 is a "PRO" branded lens, probably something really really cheap. Not expecting much out of it.

The 85-210mm is a Quantaray... no clue who actually made it. Looks like a lot of companies made/marketed similarly spec'd M42 lenses. Might be a Tamron.

The ES looks great, but there's no battery in it, so I don't know 100% for sure that the meter works.
The ES will take one of the "big lunker" batteries. That 400mm could still have been made by Tokina for someone else. You would need to be able to figure out the optical formula some how. A couple of those companies built things for more than 1 company and may have "used" designs for "other" companies. Tokina was one of them! I think they had a loop hole or non-binding contract with one of the companies. For example, Allied Impex had an agreement for Tokina to build a 35mm 2.8. They also build one or Ponder & Best. So a near identical Soligor 35mm and Vivitar 35mm in m42 hit the market at nearly the same time.

06-22-2009, 08:52 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The ES will take one of the "big lunker" batteries. That 400mm could still have been made by Tokina for someone else. You would need to be able to figure out the optical formula some how. A couple of those companies built things for more than 1 company and may have "used" designs for "other" companies. Tokina was one of them! I think they had a loop hole or non-binding contract with one of the companies. For example, Allied Impex had an agreement for Tokina to build a 35mm 2.8. They also build one or Ponder & Best. So a near identical Soligor 35mm and Vivitar 35mm in m42 hit the market at nearly the same time.
Well, I guess I'll give it a few shots and see how it turns out.

Just bought four 6v PX28L batteries for both the ES and my Yashica TL Electro X. We'll see if either one works.
07-12-2009, 05:49 PM   #25

Esii

Years ago Norman Goldberg wrote that the first ES had a large jumble of loose wires to be soldered in manufacture, but that later ones as well as the ESII became "neat as a pin". Also the first IC's were unreliable. So I would assume problems in manufacture would have caused some of the early problems. They hadn't figured out multi-pin contacts and press fitting quite yet. And for you youngsters, Norman Goldberg was the camera technichian/tester at Popular Photography who also authored several books on camera design and testing as well as having a few patents to his name.